question about magnesium laptops

I have heard in recent years about laptops with magnesium chasis but can you use it as a fire starer or is it an alloy that does not allow that to happen?  what if battery explotes, would that suppose enough energy to activate the burning of magnesium? just a random question - by scratching the metal, not by destroying the battery- 

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K @4.9 GHz 6-Core Processor CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU CoolerMotherboard: MSI - Z370I GAMING PRO CARBON AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard Memory: PNY - Anarchy 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 @3000 MemoryStorage: 960 evo 500gbVideo Card:place holderCase: Phanteks - Enthoo EVOLV ITX TG (Black) Mini ITX Desktop Case Power Supply:SeaSonic - EVO Edition 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 pwm 59.5 CFM  140mm Fan Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM High-Speed 73.3 CFM  120mm Fan Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM High-Speed 73.3 CFM  120mm Fan Monitor: Dell - S2716DG 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor Mouse: Place holder Sony H.ear on Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphone, Charcoal Black (MDR100ABN/B)  LEOBOG K26 Wired RGB Mechanical Keyboard,Gaming Keyboard,RGB Color Backlight,104 Key,Anti-Ghosting For Full Key,Blue Switches,Aluminum Chassis,Detachable wrist rest,PC,Computer, Laptop,BLACK (Black)EZDIY-FAB Sleeved Cable - Cable extension for power supply with extra-sleeved 24 PIN 8PIN 6PIN 4+4 PIN With COMBS- Black Grey

pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/resdal42/saved/sCW6XL

The magnesium alloys used are not a fire hazard. It's not pure magnesium, and that coupled with the fact that the parts generally have a large thermal mass and low surface area, makes it very hard to ignite, and less likely to propagate. The exact properties depend on the alloy, though it's still a far cry from pure magnesium.

The advantages, though, are lighter weight and higher rigidity. Magnesium is actually the lightest structural metal we use, and the alloys we use can have equivalent strength to aluminum with thinner panels. It's more brittle, though, so where aluminum would bend and dent magnesium is more prone to crack.

It's also less corrosion-resistant, which is why magnesium is generally painted.

It's also more expensive. That's why you don't see a lot of magnesium unibodies, the material costs more and the manufacturing is harder. ThinkPads use magnesium in conjunction with carbon-fiber reinforced plastic (which can actually have very similar structural properties to aluminum, despite being plastic).

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

26 minutes ago, Dash Lambda said:

The magnesium alloys used are not a fire hazard. It's not pure magnesium, and that coupled with the fact that the parts generally have a large thermal mass and low surface area, makes it very hard to ignite, and less likely to propagate. The exact properties depend on the alloy, though it's still a far cry from pure magnesium.

The advantages, though, are lighter weight and higher rigidity. Magnesium is actually the lightest structural metal we use, and the alloys we use can have equivalent strength to aluminum with thinner panels. It's more brittle, though, so where aluminum would bend and dent magnesium is more prone to crack.

It's also less corrosion-resistant, which is why magnesium is generally painted.

It's also more expensive. That's why you don't see a lot of magnesium unibodies, the material costs more and the manufacturing is harder. ThinkPads use magnesium in conjunction with carbon-fiber reinforced plastic (which can actually have very similar structural properties to aluminum, despite being plastic).

well yes, even in the lab when we have some magnesium ingots-chuncks and those are not easy to ignite. but my question was more in line with the case that if you where to shave off some magnesium out of a thinkpad can you light it up like a fire started would? or do they use a particular allow to further prevent that?

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K @4.9 GHz 6-Core Processor CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU CoolerMotherboard: MSI - Z370I GAMING PRO CARBON AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard Memory: PNY - Anarchy 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 @3000 MemoryStorage: 960 evo 500gbVideo Card:place holderCase: Phanteks - Enthoo EVOLV ITX TG (Black) Mini ITX Desktop Case Power Supply:SeaSonic - EVO Edition 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 pwm 59.5 CFM  140mm Fan Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM High-Speed 73.3 CFM  120mm Fan Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM High-Speed 73.3 CFM  120mm Fan Monitor: Dell - S2716DG 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor Mouse: Place holder Sony H.ear on Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphone, Charcoal Black (MDR100ABN/B)  LEOBOG K26 Wired RGB Mechanical Keyboard,Gaming Keyboard,RGB Color Backlight,104 Key,Anti-Ghosting For Full Key,Blue Switches,Aluminum Chassis,Detachable wrist rest,PC,Computer, Laptop,BLACK (Black)EZDIY-FAB Sleeved Cable - Cable extension for power supply with extra-sleeved 24 PIN 8PIN 6PIN 4+4 PIN With COMBS- Black Grey

pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/resdal42/saved/sCW6XL

3 hours ago, IAnthonyFX said:

where to shave off some magnesium out of a thinkpad can you light it up like a fire started would? or do they use a particular allow to further prevent that?

Yea no. The alloy prevents that. It's a mixed alloy. Unless the manufacturing went completely tits up, you would not be able to scrape off flammable material. 

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p