i9 7900X Temps on air

Go to solution Solved by Lathlaer,

Unfortunately if it's not delidded you will not see better temps even if you put the best cooling solution here.

Hey guys,

Just wondering what temps i should expect on a i9 7900X with a Noctua NH-D15 the idle temps are around 28-35*C  and the load temps are 75-85*C I have an Asus X299 Prime Deluxe. i have XMP enabled but everything else is on Auto. i can see the while on load the cpu is running at about 4.3Ghz on all cores. 

Thanks !

Unfortunately if it's not delidded you will not see better temps even if you put the best cooling solution here.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

damit intel why did you move from a solder based IHS to a thermal paste IHS.  i was hoping the NH-D15 would be good enough to keep the temps at around the 60-70*C on load at stock speeds. I was considering a AIO but they also can get quite loud and i had a bad experience with an AIO in the past. Well i wont be delidding it at the moment. i guess i will have to connect the case fans to the case fan controller instead of the MB headers. case atm if the cpu is on load it starts ti sound like a jet engine next to me :/  Would changing the Thermal paste from the one provided by noctua to an artic silver 5 help in any way?  

I am currently using some Corsair ML120 fans on the NH-D15 hope that will help with better heat dissipation but i guess the main issue is between the Die and the IHS. 

32 minutes ago, Molesy said:

damit intel why did you move from a solder based IHS to a thermal paste IHS.  i was hoping the NH-D15 would be good enough to keep the temps at around the 60-70*C on load at stock speeds. I was considering a AIO but they also can get quite loud and i had a bad experience with an AIO in the past. Well i wont be delidding it at the moment. i guess i will have to connect the case fans to the case fan controller instead of the MB headers. case atm if the cpu is on load it starts ti sound like a jet engine next to me :/  Would changing the Thermal paste from the one provided by noctua to an artic silver 5 help in any way?  

I am currently using some Corsair ML120 fans on the NH-D15 hope that will help with better heat dissipation but i guess the main issue is between the Die and the IHS. 

The stuff that comes from Noctua is actually pretty decent if honest with you. The problem is under the IHS and Intel even with there HEDT lineup deciding too use what can be described as toothpaste is the problem