The Mjølnir costum loop

Hey guys! I'm starting to plan a costum loop for my rig. After trying AIO kits (or closed loops) I've found that I want to keep cooling, liquid style! :P I will have to buy the the individual parts seperately and on a monthly basis, so the parts may change over time if an opertunity presents it self. Regarding fans I've already decided to stick with Noctua like the little fangirl I am. So here's the list to my potential cooling rig, with blank spots where I have no idea what I should use.

Here's the proposed loop:

Res > Pump > 280mm rad > CPU block  > 240mm rad > MB block > GPU block > Repeat

So it's all pretty much about filling in the blanks and adding stuff I missed (like tubing... just added tubing). So it's fair to say that I'm a new in all regards of liquid cooling, so I'm left with some questions that I've yet to answer by READING PROPERLY. For instance;

1. what are the benifits of the various kinds of plated metals on waterblocks (is copper still king),
  2. how big a reservoir do I need for 1 CPU, 1 GPU fullcover and one motherboad fullboard,
  3. What would be the best pump(s) for this kind of setup,
  4. whats the best way of setting up the loop and which components should be prioritized first in the loop?

I pay attention to hints and tips, make the right decisions, buy only quality components and add the components "piece-by-piece" I will eventually have an awesome liquid cooling rig that will be worth my time and effort :) Thanks for reading!

Edited by ThorBuildingLegos

Thoroughness rating
#########

Get 3/8 ID 5/8OD primochill advanced lrt tubing.

Any res will do.

Any d5 variant like the swiftech mcp655

Doesn't matter the order as long as the res feeds directly to the pump.

Man that title...

Ø <------OMG is this spam?

Also why only 2 240mm rads?Seems too little to be worth doing custom loop.

Man that title...

Ø <------OMG is this spam?

Also why only 2 240mm rads?Seems too little to be worth doing custom loop.

Well you'll have to elaborate a little... should I get a bigger radiator for the front perhaps? I'm thinking first and foremost about the limitations of the case. It has two 140mm fan mountpoints on top and a fan-holder that can be snapped in and out of the front case. I can even move the HDD to the side (effectively removing the bottom fan) or remove it completely from the case. The ATAPI tray however I'm not so sure. It looks like it's soldered on in certain places, or has those screws that can only be applied once and then need to be removed with force and replaced. So I'm thinking first and foremost about space.

How would you set up the radiators in this case? Here's the suggested sizes for radiators from the fractal designw web-site:

• Front – 240mm radiator when HDD cages are removed or repositioned
  • Top – 240 and 280mm when using slim radiators
  • Bottom – 120mm radiators
  • Rear – 120 and 140mm radiators

I should note however that I am currently using the CoolerMaster 240L Prestige which is mounted at the top of the case. I don't think is very "slim" (30mm), so it might not be strictly necessary.. but recommended for airflow'n syych.

Thoroughness rating
#########

I will set up 1 280mm ontop,1 280mm front,1 140mm back,1 140mm bottom

And this.. wouldn't be in any way, shape or form... overkill? I know, I know... I'm building a costum liquid cooling loop. But less is more in my eyes and I'd rather buy quality radiators and fans than use more radiators, IF that is considered a smart move :/

Thoroughness rating
#########

And this.. wouldn't be in any way, shape or form... overkill? I know, I know... I'm building a costum liquid cooling loop. But less is more in my eyes and I'd rather buy quality radiators and fans than use more radiators, IF that is considered a smart move :/

If that is the case it will be a smarter move to use a Swiftech H220 and expand it radiator wise and graphics card wise.Cheaper overall.

If that is the case it will be a smarter move to use a Swiftech H220 and expand it radiator wise and graphics card wise.Cheaper overall.

Yes, I could theoretically use that since it's expandable. It would have to be for the GPU/MB combo then since it's made for 120mm fans (the top of the case supports 140mm) and would inevitably be placed in the front. But I've also been checking out Swiftechs MCRx40-QP as the evt CPU cooler, which I would place at the top of the case to cool the CPU. But what are the benifits of stringing radiators together in the same loop versus making two separate loops (one for CPU and one for GPU + mobo)?

Thoroughness rating
#########

Yes, I could theoretically use that since it's expandable. It would have to be for the GPU/MB combo then since it's made for 120mm fans (the top of the case supports 140mm) and would inevitably be placed in the front. But I've also been checking out Swiftechs MCRx40-QP as the evt CPU cooler, which I would place at the top of the case to cool the CPU. But what are the benifits of stringing radiators together in the same loop versus making two separate loops (one for CPU and one for GPU + mobo)?

No need for 2 pumps and 2 reservoirs.

No need for 2 pumps and 2 reservoirs.

Yeah, I kind of figured the reservoir part. If necessary I'd just get a bigger reservoir. But I would asume that two pumps would be benificial for say a larger loop. Or rather than getting one powerfull pump thats noisy get two silent pumps that aren't quite so powerfull... if.. that... has any benificial effect. Again; I dunno.

Thoroughness rating
#########