Applying for an A+ position at Microcenter

Nas
Go to solution Solved by NovaNightmare,
1 hour ago, Nas said:

I'm almost done filling out my application, the only thing missing right now is what I expect in terms of pay from them. This is my first job out of high school so I don't want to ask for too much, what do you think is appropriate for an A+ technician?

You can do some more accurate research at a place like Payscale, or even glassdoor.

but for someone like you, not knowing your location, the realistic range is below. This information being based on whatever actual data they have from "Microcenter" (people who report their own salaries and salary history, other conditions, etc).

Coming right out of high school, with no experience to speak of and a low level certificate, I'd shoot for that $22k - $25k range at a job (about $11.45 / hour - $13 / hour), remembering that there should also be other benefits that go along with it, and experience is ultimately what you need right now.

For side work I'd hit $25 an hour as a goal.

People telling you $30k, $35k, $40k+ are not being realistic, though again if you live in a major metropolitan city, due to cost of living, it could be realistic, but wouldn't make you any better off than making $25k and living in a cheaper area.

Pay Snapshot

Range
$22k - $42k

People Like You

People with similar profiles like you

Computer Technician
0 Years Experience
$20,000

Computer Technician
1 Years Experience
$30,000

I'm almost done filling out my application, the only thing missing right now is what I expect in terms of pay from them. This is my first job out of high school so I don't want to ask for too much, what do you think is appropriate for an A+ technician?

Ryzen 7 2700X  ASUS X470 PRO  16GB 2400Mhz Crucial Ballistix SAPPHIRE RX 580  970 EVO  Dark Rock PRO 4  Dark Base PRO 900

go for $30k I'd say. 

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

It does vary based on cost of living in the area you live.

At least in the southern part of the US a computer technician can make 35-45k a year. Maybe slightly less for entry level since there is nothing to draw on from the past.

My fist tech job was about 37k, but I also had to do a bit of driving around every once in a while.

you need to remember that its a retail store first.  if you ask for anything above minimum wage, they're just going to laugh at you

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

1 hour ago, Nas said:

You can do some more accurate research at a place like Payscale, or even glassdoor.

but for someone like you, not knowing your location, the realistic range is below. This information being based on whatever actual data they have from "Microcenter" (people who report their own salaries and salary history, other conditions, etc).

Coming right out of high school, with no experience to speak of and a low level certificate, I'd shoot for that $22k - $25k range at a job (about $11.45 / hour - $13 / hour), remembering that there should also be other benefits that go along with it, and experience is ultimately what you need right now.

For side work I'd hit $25 an hour as a goal.

People telling you $30k, $35k, $40k+ are not being realistic, though again if you live in a major metropolitan city, due to cost of living, it could be realistic, but wouldn't make you any better off than making $25k and living in a cheaper area.

Pay Snapshot

Range
$22k - $42k

People Like You

People with similar profiles like you

Computer Technician
0 Years Experience
$20,000

Computer Technician
1 Years Experience
$30,000

1 hour ago, Nas said:

What is A+ technician? 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

I think he means he has an A+ certification or equivalent or plans to get one.  At microcenter as a job right out of high school just accept what they offer you with no expectation in my opinion.  

You need the experience and to start a track record more than worrying about pay, if you’re good you’ll get promotions and opportunities over time.