Router with good VPN performance

79wjd

I asked this a long time ago, but never followed through with it. 

I am currently running openVPN on my Asus AC68u, but the performance when connecting to my home network is abysmal and I'm assuming it's because of the router (maybe it's not?). As such, I would like to know what router I could get that would be able to run a VPN and offer good performance -- good enough that I could easily download a large files/folders off my NAS. Assume I have 100/35 on both ends of the connection. 

I would also like something that is pretty easy to set up as I could technically also just run a VPN on my server, but that seems like it's more effort than I want to put in.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

What do you consider good speed over a VPN?

8 minutes ago, Densetsu said:

What do you consider good speed over a VPN?

Ideally at least the upload speed. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

4 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Ideally at least the upload speed. 

I got around 30/30 on my old Unifi USG3

Are you married to OpenVPN?

Usually a VM or something if you have a hypervisor host would be a better play.  Things that rely on ARM/MIPS have pretty poor performance.  Some platforms offload IPSec into hardware but there isn't anything that offloads OpenVPN as a router.

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

21 minutes ago, beersykins said:

Are you married to OpenVPN?

Usually a VM or something if you have a hypervisor host would be a better play.  Things that rely on ARM/MIPS have pretty poor performance.  Some platforms offload IPSec into hardware but there isn't anything that offloads OpenVPN as a router.

Like I said, I technically could run a VPN on my NAS, but it just seems like it'll take more time than I want to put into it. And no, I don't particularly care what VPN it is so long as it's a VPN (with encryption of course).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

5 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

I asked this a long time ago, but never followed through with it. 

I am currently running openVPN on my Asus AC68u, but the performance when connecting to my home network is abysmal and I'm assuming it's because of the router (maybe it's not?). As such, I would like to know what router I could get that would be able to run a VPN and offer good performance -- good enough that I could easily download a large files/folders off my NAS. Assume I have 100/35 on both ends of the connection. 

I would also like something that is pretty easy to set up as I could technically also just run a VPN on my server, but that seems like it's more effort than I want to put in.

Give this a go. Something I've been looking at for a while..

OpenBSD IPSec IKEDv2 VPN.

https://www.openiked.org/

https://blog.gordonturner.com/2018/02/25/openbsd-6-2-vpn-endpoint-for-ios-and-macos/ <- this is similar but not the same.

All OS's can connect to that without a client, it's built into android iOS etc.

Also.. OpenVPN isn't terrible.. you may have it misconfigured if your can't get data rates you'd expect.

"Only proprietary software vendors want proprietary software." - Dexter's Law