new MSI gaming laptop RAM issue

Hello everyone,

I am having an issue with my new MSI GE72MVR 7RG laptop, the issue is that games aren't running very well, it has an i7 7700HQ and a gtx 1070 with 1x16GB DDR4 2400Mhz RAM. Games like Rainbow six siege, Destiny 2, and Battlefield 1 will run somewhere in the 70-100FPS zone maxed out at 1080p but will have extremely low 1% lows like down to 25 and 30FPS and during these spikes the game will hitch for a second then go right back up to the normal framerate. Now I have done some research and it seems that the issue is with having a single stick of RAM rather than a dual channel memory kit. RAM prices are pretty high right now so I am thinking to help alleviate this issue I might just buy a 4GB 2400Mhz stick on the cheap and get some of that dual channel goodness.

My question is, is that a viable option? I mean the RAM that came with the laptop is 16gigs and is Samsung brand I believe, would I be able to buy a 4GB stick of crucial that is the same speed and just pop it in no issue? I want to fix this issue as cheaply as possible.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read about my issues :D

Just that they are fairly expensive at the moment and I am short on cash. $40USD for a 4GB stick is a lot less than the $150 or so for another 16GB stick

6 minutes ago, Ezibelle said:

Just that they are fairly expensive at the moment and I am short on cash. $40USD for a 4GB stick is a lot less than the $150 or so for another 16GB stick

Have you checked the used market for DDR4 SO-DIMMs?

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Have you checked the used market for DDR4 SO-DIMMs?

I will definitely look around for some used ones now that I know I can mix and match with no issue.