ATH-M40x vs ATH-M50x for DJing and Mixing

I'm really on the fence which ones I should get. I hear some people shit on the ATH-M50x, but some people love it. I intend to use them for DJing, mixing, and general listening at my desk while playing games, etc. I have a Schiit Fulla 2, and I might use them with my laptops onboard audio when I can't use my Fulla 2, and obviously also my DJ mixer.

I personally hated them when I had them. Got to try the M40X w/ HM5 angled pads recently and it was markedly better.

Though I don't DJ or mix.

Great to see another person that enjoys their Schiit around here ;) ( I use a Fulla 2 also)

You'd be correct in that the 50x's have a bad rep. The fact is, for their price, the quality is not all there.
Don't get me wrong they are, especially on paper, a better headphone than the 40x's. Better frequency range, 5mm larger driver, and hit the bass department a little bit better. But the fact is it does a little bit of everything but not as well. Whereas the 40x's do a little less, but much better.

For the price, I'd go with the 40x's, or find an alternative brand if you're looking at the higher price market

26 minutes ago, bugs399 said:

I'm really on the fence which ones I should get. I hear some people shit on the ATH-M50x, but some people love it. I intend to use them for DJing, mixing, and general listening at my desk while playing games, etc. I have a Schiit Fulla 2, and I might use them with my laptops onboard audio when I can't use my Fulla 2, and obviously also my DJ mixer.

The M40x produce very accurate to real life audio so I’d say those 

M50X would work for DJing because sound quality doesn’t matter for that, but both the M40X and M50X would suck at mixing. Neither are flat and both V shaped. But M40X is better than M50X.

7 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

M50X would work for DJing because sound quality doesn’t matter for that, but both the M40X and M50X would suck at mixing. Neither are flat and both V shaped. But M40X is better than M50X.

What would you recommend for around the same price?

Just now, bugs399 said:

What would you recommend for around the same price?

For what? Mixing or DJing?

Just now, Max_Settings said:

For what? Mixing or DJing?

Mixing

1 minute ago, Max_Settings said:

Budget?

150-175 Canadian dollars, the same price as the M40x and M50x respectively

1 minute ago, bugs399 said:

150-175 Canadian dollars, the same price as the M40x and M50x respectively

The Sennheiser HD58X is going on Massdrop tomorrow at either or 9:00 or 10:00 for 1000 pairs and they will be an instock drop so they ship in 2 days. Those would be by far the best for the money and there is an extremely cheap and easy mod for $1 I can walk you through that gives them almost the identical signature of the HD660S.

2 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

The Sennheiser HD58X is going on Massdrop tomorrow at either or 9:00 or 10:00 for 1000 pairs and they will be an instock drop so they ship in 2 days. Those would be by far the best for the money and there is an extremely cheap and easy mod for $1 I can walk you through that gives them almost the identical signature of the HD660S.

How long will the drop last? I haven't been able to work lately because of exams so it will take me a little bit to get the money.

How long will the drop last? I haven't been able to work lately because of exams so it will take me a little bit to get the money.

For as long as it takes to sell 1000 pairs. I’d imagine about a day. But it could take a couple.

1 minute ago, Max_Settings said:

For as long as it takes to sell 1000 pairs. I’d imagine about a day. But it could take a couple.

So I probably won't be able to get those on massdrop then. What are my other options?

So I probably won't be able to get those on massdrop then. What are my other options?

The best thing would be to try and find a used set of HD600s. But if you want new, AKG K553s or K612s are pretty good.

2 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

The best thing would be to try and find a used set of HD600s. But if you want new, AKG K553s or K612s are pretty good.

Taking a quick look- AKG Headphones in general are pretty hard to get in Canada, what else is there?

You could try what I did, buy last year's model of HD598's. They are the exact same as the current year, just small changes in cosmetic design (i.e. logo placement) and you can get them for $100 less than the current gen.

10 minutes ago, DrJones said:

You could try what I did, buy last year's model of HD598's. They are the exact same as the current year, just small changes in cosmetic design (i.e. logo placement) and you can get them for $100 less than the current gen.

I see two on amazon, the HD598 Cs and the HD598 SR. Which ones do you have?

Just now, bugs399 said:

I see two on amazon, the HD598 Cs and the HD598 SR. Which ones do you have?

The C's should be closed-back, the SE's are a black version of the regular open-back.

I have the SE's because I prefer open-back, but keep in mind, this will let outside noise in if you're DJ'ing.