Weird issue related to internet speed

My home network is made up of a router, and four desktops connected via ehternet cables, and ocasionally, some smartphones via WiFi.

Our ISP provides a guaranteed 50/20 MBits down and up, and on three out of the four desktops we achieve around 70 both up and down.

My issue is, that on the fourth PC, we can only get results of around 10 MBits both down and up.

So far, I've updated the BIOS, the LAN driver, reinstalled Windows, and also tried swapping cables, but my PC got the same 70/70 results, whereas my brother's PC only recieved his usual speeds of 10/10, so for me, that means that the cables are fine.

My brother has recently moved out for a few months, and at the other location, he has managed to achieve the speeds provided by the ISP over there, without any issues, which lead me to think that it's not his motherboard causing the issue.

I've also messed with the Duplex settings within Windows, and disabled any bandwith restrictions on both the router and in Windows, but I couldn't make any progress.

Could you guys give me some feedback on what should I try next?

Thank you for your replies in advance :)

Well, it seems like you know what you're doing, which is a great to start xD

Network isn't really my forte, but I would say you need to figure out a way to isolate the issue. Figure out what is different about his PC or where it is plugged into, compared to the other 3.

You've pretty much eliminated it being a hardware problem with his PC simply due to the fact that it works fine elsewhere.

Try swapping the location of his PC with one of the ones that is working.

Is his PC using a different outlet than the rest? Cable? Network switch? Try swapping all of these with a known working one.

Best of luck! I think we all hate networking to an extent :S

1 hour ago, DrJones said:

Well, it seems like you know what you're doing, which is a great to start xD

Network isn't really my forte, but I would say you need to figure out a way to isolate the issue. Figure out what is different about his PC or where it is plugged into, compared to the other 3.

You've pretty much eliminated it being a hardware problem with his PC simply due to the fact that it works fine elsewhere.

Try swapping the location of his PC with one of the ones that is working.

Is his PC using a different outlet than the rest? Cable? Network switch? Try swapping all of these with a known working one.

Best of luck! I think we all hate networking to an extent :S

Well, as I've stated it in my post I only use one router, and that's it, so no switches here :)

As for the cable, it cannot be interference, because my cable comes in in the exact same way.

As far as the outlet goes, both PCs in the room are connected to the same one, but I've already checked with one PC running at a time.

Also, I've tested the "faulty" PC by disconnecting every other device from the network, but it made no difference.

Oh, and as far as the router goes, I've tested enabling and disabling static IPs, I've made sure that settings such as bandwith and parental control are disabled, and I've pretty much left the router as it is.

By the way, while we're at it. For the past weeks I couldn't figure out how to port forward, to enable creating servers in games that require it. I've enabled the required ports according to the requirements, such as setting it to both UDP and TCP, but I haven't been able to make any progress.

For instance, whenever I try to host a server for the game Syergy, my friend cannot connect, even with directly connecting to my IP from the console.

Anyways, thank you very much for your help, and I hope that this issue will be resolved.

Well you've gone through all the steps I would then o.O

With your port forwarding problem, it can be a little tricky. Even though you've got the ports correct, the IP can be a little finicky. It's hard to figure out which IP address to use.

For example, your IPv4 shown in the command prompt may be different than your public IPv4. So it can be confusing as to which one to use.

Also make sure the ports being forwarded are being hosted on your machine, not another one on the network.
Take for example, my default PC on my network is downstairs. But I want to port forward for a game I play on my PC upstairs. I need to make sure that I forward the ports with my PC upstairs selected.