Slowing Down

Zeladon

I think my laptop is slower than when i first got my laptop (around 8 months ago).

Is there any way to speed it up?

When you say slower what do you mean? Boot times, application loading, internet access etc?

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

Needs more info. 8 months is nothing for Win10. I've had my laptop for 1.5 years and it doesn't show any slowing. Usually I have had to reinstall windows every 2-3 years to keep it going.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 hour ago, RuffRuffmcgruff said:

When you say slower what do you mean? Boot times, application loading, internet access etc?

Internet access and application loading

38 minutes ago, Zeladon said:

Internet access and application loading

Do the applications that take time to load depend on an internet connection?

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

21 hours ago, RuffRuffmcgruff said:

Do the applications that take time to load depend on an internet connection?

No. Only chrome. Also i noticed when i play games i have some lag spikes which did not happen before

2 minutes ago, Zeladon said:

No. Only chrome. Also i noticed when i play games i have some lag spikes which did not happen before

Have you tried updating drivers etc. ? I'd also say it's worth it to check with your ISP if there are any service disruptions in your area at the moment.

4 hours ago, Zeladon said:

That sounds like somethings eating resources. With Chrome and other software loading. Meaning that RAM and/or CPU is constantly being used for some background process like AV, updates or search indexing.

As for game lag, do you mean lag as in ping jumps, or lag as in fps drops?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

17 hours ago, RuffRuffmcgruff said:

Have you tried updating drivers etc. ? I'd also say it's worth it to check with your ISP if there are any service disruptions in your area at the moment.

I'll try updating the drivers

12 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

That sounds like somethings eating resources. With Chrome and other software loading. Meaning that RAM and/or CPU is constantly being used for some background process like AV, updates or search indexing.

As for game lag, do you mean lag as in ping jumps, or lag as in fps drops?

Fps drops. This usually didn't happen

1 hour ago, Zeladon said:

Fps drops. This usually didn't happen

Check for those background processes. Something you've recently installed could cause this.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

23 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Check for those background processes. Something you've recently installed could cause this.

I haven't installed anything lately but I'll still check.

Turn off fast boot option in power settings in Windows, turn off your laptop and boot again. How to disable that annoying fast boot feature you'll find on many websites.

This answer is based on my personal experience.

2 hours ago, homeap5 said:

Turn off fast boot option in power settings in Windows, turn off your laptop and boot again. How to disable that annoying fast boot feature you'll find on many websites.

This answer is based on my personal experience.

I will try it

• 4 weeks later...

Lately internet dependent games (fortnite) has been running very badly. As in lag spikes every few seconds to the point of unplayable. Is there any way to fix this?

7 hours ago, Zeladon said:

Lately internet dependent games (fortnite) has been running very badly. As in lag spikes every few seconds to the point of unplayable. Is there any way to fix this?

Yes, fix your internet. Again, it may be background process downloading something. Or even another user on same network. Or if you are using something like building-wide net it might be just too crowded.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Now even csgo (offline with bots) has been running pretty shitty. Im getting below 30 when as before i would get around 70.

On 7/31/2018 at 1:01 PM, homeap5 said:

Install CoreTemp and check if your cpu multiplier works good.

It looks fine

1 hour ago, Zeladon said:

It looks fine

Is it working at maximum multiplier for your CPU under load?

20 hours ago, homeap5 said:

Is it working at maximum multiplier for your CPU under load?

How can I check?

2 hours ago, Zeladon said:

How can I check?

Check in Frequency field in CoreTemp - when idle, it should work at lower value. When you do something that needs CPU power - it should work at maximum speed.

I have once that problem with laptop - CPU stays all the time at lower value and everything runs very slow. Turn off Fast Boot in win10 fixed problem (this link shows how to enable it, but it's default settings, so try to disable it).

2 hours ago, homeap5 said:

Check in Frequency field in CoreTemp - when idle, it should work at lower value. When you do something that needs CPU power - it should work at maximum speed.

I have once that problem with laptop - CPU stays all the time at lower value and everything runs very slow. Turn off Fast Boot in win10 fixed problem (this link shows how to enable it, but it's default settings, so try to disable it).

When idle the cpu frequency is around 900 to 800 Mhz but when i ran Unigine Heaven Benchmark it was running at 1650 Mhz