Pc is on but nothing on screen

JohnnyIsHere

When I turn on my pc now I am getting nothing on my monitor it just says no signal detected.

Also my mouse is lit up but my keyboard is not.

i have tried with another monitor and it didn’t work either so I know that it’s something wrong with the computer.

also when I was turning my PC off sometimes it would just turn back on automatically after turning it off.

Ita done this a few times in the last day when using it the screen would just go off and take a few restarts to get it back but now I’m getting nothing on the screen.

Might sound obvious but have you tried another port on your GPU and failing that attempted to remove the GPU, getting it to run through onboard graphics (assuming you're Intel)?

Did you recently make any changes to the system such as a windows update, driver update, hardware installation...?

7 minutes ago, JohnnyIsHere said:

i have tried with another monitor and it didn’t work either so I know that it’s something wrong with the computer.

The PC starting back up again on shutdown, let me know if you figure that one out, mine has done it intermittently since I went onto Win10 during the initial roll-out, not found a proper fix for it yet but I've not looked too hard..

Current Rig:

CPU - Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz Quad-Core

Heatsink - Corsair H110iGT 280mm AIO

Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SOC Force ATX LGA1150

RAM - G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600

SSD - Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" SSD

HDD - Western Digital Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM

HDD - Western Digital Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400 RPM 

GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB

GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Gold Edition

Case - Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 (Orange) Full Tower

PSU - Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 1200W Platinum

Networking - TP-Link Archer T9E PCI-Express

Fans - Be Quiet! SilentWings 2 60.4 CFM 140mm

Cabling - CableMod Black/Orange

OS - Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit

Outdated Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/RCjcCJ

I’m not sure how to use another port for gpu or how to use the intergrated graphics.

and no I haven’t had any updates or changes to my pc.

5 minutes ago, JohnnyIsHere said:

I’m not sure how to use another port for gpu or how to use the intergrated graphics.

and no I haven’t had any updates or changes to my pc.

He means installing your gpu into another PCI lane, if your mobo has one. Linus has a perfect video how to do this

Just reverse the installation :)

*edit* Forgot to say as well you can use the intergrated graphics by plugging in a vga cable into the vga (most likely) port on the back of your PC.

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

If you open up the PC when it doesn't boot up properly, do you see any error code being displayed on the motherboard (if it has that feature)? Have you overclocked your memory, or running any XMP or AMD equivalent?

Also, please list your specs and overclocks if there are any, plus GPU driver version.

Asus X99-A w/ BIOS 3402 | Intel i7 5820k OC @4.4GHz 1.28V w/ Noctua NH-U14S | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 OC @2666MHz 12-14-14-28 | Asus Geforce GTX970 STRIX OC | EVGA 750 G2 750W | Samsung 850 Evo 1 TB | Windows 10 64-bit | Be-Quiet Silent Base 800 w/ Silent Wings | 2x Dell U2414H OC @72Hz w/ Display Port

Don't forget to invest in an Intel Tuning Plan if you're going to overvolt your K/X CPU

3 minutes ago, steffeeh said:

If you open up the PC when it doesn't boot up properly, do you see any error code being displayed on the motherboard (if it has that feature)? Have you overclocked your memory, or running any XMP or AMD equivalent?

Also, please list your specs and overclocks if there are any, plus GPU driver version.

What would error code look like?

i haven’t done any overclocking.

r9 380 2gb

gigabyte ga-h110m-s2h

6 hours ago, JohnnyIsHere said:

What would error code look like?

i haven’t done any overclocking.

r9 380 2gb

gigabyte ga-h110m-s2h

Hmm it doesn't look like your motherboard has it, check the manual on how you do trouble shooting on that motherboard.

Otherwise an error code would look something like this:

mkMKlA2.jpg

I've too had issues with the screens not turning on, sometimes because my RAM settings were unstable where I'd get an error code pointing at the RAM config (this could also be the case with RAM not working properly).

Have you updated your graphics card driver recently? If there's a bad patch, things could start glitching up.

Asus X99-A w/ BIOS 3402 | Intel i7 5820k OC @4.4GHz 1.28V w/ Noctua NH-U14S | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 OC @2666MHz 12-14-14-28 | Asus Geforce GTX970 STRIX OC | EVGA 750 G2 750W | Samsung 850 Evo 1 TB | Windows 10 64-bit | Be-Quiet Silent Base 800 w/ Silent Wings | 2x Dell U2414H OC @72Hz w/ Display Port

Don't forget to invest in an Intel Tuning Plan if you're going to overvolt your K/X CPU