3D solid modeling CAD software for cheap?

Go to solution Solved by sunslayr,

Just download Fusion 360 and activate it, then choose the option free 1 year licence for startup/non-commercial as per this FAQ. You may then re-activate the licence when it expires assuming they continue it, I have renewed once before. 

Hello Everyone,

I am looking to do some 3D modeling in a CAD software for some personal designs and just for fun.

I want to make individual parts and then assemble them together.

I am well versed in Autodesk Inventor but I am stuck only using 30 day trials with only a few days left. 

I especially like this software for its ease of use. But I don't really have all that much need for the built in simulations that it can do.

I used this software for years when I was in school. But now I am not and the education versions don't work anymore.

I am looking for a new 3D solid modeling CAD software but I cant afford much.

I've tried Sketchup but felt the software was difficult to use. 

I've tried FreeCad but that software was even more difficult.

The only one I did seem to enjoy that was free was Tinkercad. But it is significantly lacking in what it can do. 

I am willing to pay for the software, but I cant afford much. 

I can do around like $10/month or $100/year. 

Any more than that is just beyond what I can pay.

So now I turn to the community to help me with my endeavor 

--------What is a good free or otherwise inexpensive 3D solid modeling CAD software that I can use for personal use to make parts and assemblies?

---------It would also be a bonus significantly if it can support the cad files I have already made in inventor.

p.s. Didn't really know where an appropriate place for this thread to be. If this is too off topic please do inform me. 

1 minute ago, fastcar123 said:

Google sketch up/Blender?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

2 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Google sketch up/Blender?

I tried sketchup. The software was okay. But I felt it difficult to use, even with all the tutorial videos. 

Can Blender do that?

I was under the impression that blender was more for 3D rendering for video gam graphics and things of the like.

1 minute ago, fastcar123 said:

I tried sketchup. The software was okay. But I felt it difficult to use, even with all the tutorial videos. 

Can Blender do that?

I was under the impression that blender was more for 3D rendering for video gam graphics and things of the like.

What exactly do you need to do?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

What exactly do you need to do?

I want to make individual parts with measurements that I can use to actually make said parts in real life out of wood or metal. 

I then want to take those individual parts and assemble them all together in the software.

I essentially want Autodesk Inventor just not for $2800

2 minutes ago, fastcar123 said:

And you can't just do it with a pencil/graph paper?

Spoiler

I don't know if it is applicable to what you want/need, but Windows 10 comes with 3D builder. It allows you to import 3D models etc. 

Quite easy to use.

Also, can use it for 3D printing, bonus! :) 

Cheers

EDIT:

If it doesn't come pre-installed, you are able to download it for free on the MS store.

Sketchup will be best for small projects, or using paper will be more accurate. If you are a student, AutoCAD can be purchased for free as my Dad did that yesterday using my brothers university card.

hi.

10 hours ago, Streetguru said:

And you can't just do it with a pencil/graph paper?

With my drawing skill? That would be a negative.

Plus with pencil and paper I can't assemble it to find flaws in my design

10 hours ago, sunslayr said:

Is Fusion 360 suitable? Its free for hobbyists.

Do you have a link?  The lowest I could find this software for on Autodesk's website was $40/month.  This is much closer to a real price that I could afford but it's still $40/month that I would have to budget around.

10 hours ago, Netivity said:

I don't know if it is applicable to what you want/need, but Windows 10 comes with 3D builder. It allows you to import 3D models etc. 

Quite easy to use.

Also, can use it for 3D printing, bonus! :) 

Cheers

EDIT:

If it doesn't come pre-installed, you are able to download it for free on the MS store.

I have used this and it's good for what it is, especially with the ability to export to .obj. But it is still lacking in what I need

9 hours ago, AskTJ said:

Sketchup will be best for small projects, or using paper will be more accurate. If you are a student, AutoCAD can be purchased for free as my Dad did that yesterday using my brothers university card.

I am no longer a student. I tried. Autodesk knows.

Just download Fusion 360 and activate it, then choose the option free 1 year licence for startup/non-commercial as per this FAQ. You may then re-activate the licence when it expires assuming they continue it, I have renewed once before. 

2 minutes ago, sunslayr said:

This could be my solution. I'll try it out when I get home from work and let you know

CAD/CAM/CAE
Stands for Computer Aided Design/Manufacturing/Engineering. Prime examples of proprietary software are: SolidWorks, Unigraphics NX, Catia, ANSYS, Pro Engineer, AutoCAD, among many more. The following is a list of free and open-source alternatives. 

Open-source
1) FreeCAD - the perfect AutoCAD and Solidworks replacement. 
2) OpenFOAM - The best open-source alternative to ANSYS tools (primarily used for numerical simulation in Structural and Mechanical Engineering). 
3) Scilab - excellent replacement for MATLAB (which is cross-platform, while still proprietary). Scilab is the free and open-source equivalent based on Python.
4) Octave - very similar to Scilab and MATLAB. 
5) Scipy - a python extension specifically for scientific and simulation-based calculations. 
6) CAElinux - Should really belong in a section of its own, as it's an entire distribution built around CAE. 

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 10:56 AM, sunslayr said:

This turned out to be really good. Its not as intuitive as inventor but it works well for being free.