M.2 SSD

TechCparts

im wanting to get a M.2 NVME SSD and its gonna have my operating system on it with some programs but i don't wanna pay a lot and i also play games on it but not a hole lot. Right now i have a 128gb 2.5" Samsung ssd. Which one would you Recommend.

Are you looking into NVMe or SATA drives?

Samsung’s M.2 are pretty good. It’s not really worth it to buy an m.2 for games so prioritize other programs before games on the m.2 as the speed difference from a sata ssd to an m.2 is pretty negligible ( I think)

poop

15 minutes ago, Konrad Kwasniewski said:

Are you looking into NVMe or SATA drives?

What is the difference? I'm curious, aren't they both m.2 interface? Doesn't that dictate the throughput?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Just now, Radium_Angel said:

What is the difference? I'm curious, aren't they both m.2 interface? Doesn't that dictate the throughput?

They are different protocols that are used by different SSD's and have different types of M.2 key. NVMe is more expensive but capable of 3GB+ per second reads and writes while SATA 3 maxes out at 600MB. Depending on the motherboard you own it will support one of these, both or none.

3 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

M.2 SATA is your regular 2.5" SATA drive on a much smaller package and using M.2 connector. Speed is the same as the SATA times, that is the 6gbps limit.

M.2 NVMe uses PCIe interface directly, so PCIe x2 or x4 speeds.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

11 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

M.2 SATA is your regular 2.5" SATA drive on a much smaller package and using M.2 connector. Speed is the same as the SATA times, that is the 6gbps limit.

M.2 NVMe uses PCIe interface directly, so PCIe x2 or x4 speeds.

Ah, thx.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

yes im looking for a NVME M.2 SSD hopefully a 256gb or 500gb but like i was saying i dont want to spend alot and games aint really the main thing i want the m.2 for i mainly want to get it for is to run windows and the video editing, photo editing and all the other stuff on my computer the samsung 128GB SSD SATA is going to be moved too my nas system to be the main drive with the Rockstor program on it. i just dont know which brand would be the best to get i was looking at a western digital black but like i said idk which one would be better to get

On 6/25/2018 at 11:47 AM, Konrad Kwasniewski said:

They are different protocols that are used by different SSD's and have different types of M.2 key. NVMe is more expensive but capable of 3GB+ per second reads and writes while SATA 3 maxes out at 600MB. Depending on the motherboard you own it will support one of these, both or none.

im looking for a nvme but im mainly wanting to what brands r the best and not that expensive

1 minute ago, TechCparts said:

im looking for a nvme but im mainly wanting to what brands r the best and not that expensive

If your motherboard supports it, i would recommend a 250GB Samsung 960 EVO or the 970 EVO- they should be similarly priced and deliver comparable performance.

26 minutes ago, Konrad Kwasniewski said:

If your motherboard supports it, i would recommend a 250GB Samsung 960 EVO or the 970 EVO- they should be similarly priced and deliver comparable performance.

ok what are your thoughts about Western Digital m2s

I haven't tested the NVMe blacks, I only used the SATA m.2 green. It's fine but speedwise WD has a lot of catching up to do. It's twice as slow as the Samsung 970 EVO.

2 minutes ago, Konrad Kwasniewski said:

I haven't tested the NVMe blacks, I only used the SATA m.2 green. It's fine but speedwise WD has a lot of catching up to do. It's twice as slow as the Samsung 970 EVO.

ok is there any other brands besides samsung that you would recommend

I have a WD Black500gb M.2 drive, been using it for almost a month and the speed is incredible, WD are cheaper than Samsungs, but are also slower, but given most people's usage that literally means windows boots up in 10 seconds instead of 9, so unless you do some really heavy data transfers you really won't notice the difference.

27 minutes ago, Angel102 said:

I have a WD Black500gb M.2 drive, been using it for almost a month and the speed is incredible, WD are cheaper than Samsungs, but are also slower, but given most people's usage that literally means windows boots up in 10 seconds instead of 9, so unless you do some really heavy data transfers you really won't notice the difference.

thats what i was looking at was the wd black m2 ssd nvme and was thinking about getting it for one of the main reason like u said its cheaper but there a good brand. im not neccesaryaly looking for the best of the best just looking for somethimg that is a great brand and is not that expensive was mainly seeing if there was any other good but cheap brands

1 minute ago, TechCparts said:

thats what i was looking at was the wd black m2 ssd nvme and was thinking about getting it for one of the main reason like u said its cheaper but there a good brand. im not neccesaryaly looking for the best of the best just looking for somethimg that is a great brand and is not that expensive was mainly seeing if there was any other good but cheap brands

well I am more than happy to recommend it, it is a very good all rounder in my opinion, and it is quite a bit cheaper than the Samsung 970 or 960 of similar capacity.

I have both a 1TB 850 PRO and a 1TB 970 EVO... for gaming it did not make the slightest difference 1 vs the other. Load times/launching were practically identical. For sustained/consistent performance, the 970 EVO is clearly out on top.

For just gaming, either SATA3 or M.2 NVME will easily get the job done.

10 hours ago, MRZL1 said:

I have both a 1TB 850 PRO and a 1TB 970 EVO... for gaming it did not make the slightest difference 1 vs the other. Load times/launching were practically identical. For sustained/consistent performance, the 970 EVO is clearly out on top.

For just gaming, either SATA3 or M.2 NVME will easily get the job done.

i figured there wasn't a difference between then to but i also don't really do all my gaming on PC i mainly do it on x box. i do the video editing mainly and school work on my PC occasionally ill do some PC gaming but that dont happen alot

1 hour ago, TechCparts said:

i figured there wasn't a difference between then to but i also don't really do all my gaming on PC i mainly do it on x box. i do the video editing mainly and school work on my PC occasionally ill do some PC gaming but that dont happen alot

just look at it this way, the 850 pro is Carl Lewis, the 970 evo is Usain bolt. Both incredibly fast in their prime but Bolt is the fastest if you're only bothered about speed.

And yes, I know there are faster enterprise drives etc, but the metaphor still works.

Edited by Angel102