Having issues with my A/C

lewdicrous
Go to solution Solved by lewdicrous,

Update: Finally found the issue, turns out the drain line was being blocked by a tree..

Moral of the story: Never forget to check the least possible solution/problem

Long story short, my A/C hasn't been working well for the past 2 months or so. The timer light on the unit keeps blinking for no reason. It would sometimes start cooling (operating light turns on) but this only lasts for a few minutes before turning into an expensive fan.

I have a cassette type A/C, if that makes any difference.

I tried cleaning the filter and the fins in the indoor unit

I tried resetting the unit by opening the breaker (did this multiple times)

I tried cleaning the outdoor unit (condenser)

None of these worked..

I called the company to inspect it but all they did was look at it then leave (useless as usual)

This is also happening to the living room A/C (which we hardly ever use) and my brothers room

We've had them for about 3-4 years and they all started to "fail" within 2 months, which leads me to believe that it's meant to fail after a certain amount of time (cue the conspiracy theories)

What else can I do?

20 minutes ago, davrosG5 said:

Does it need a re-gas?

Don't think so, it pushes out cool air when the operation light is on, but it stops when the timer light starts flashing

Are any of these AC units still under the manufacturers warranty?

If so, contact the manufacturer, have them repair the units.

If they are out of warranty, you can choose to call any HVAC/AC repair technician you please - or you can also still generally contact the manufacturer, but you'll have to pay for repairs.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

21 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

- snip -

Called the manufacturers, but they didn't do shit.. all they did was look at the unit and said they found nothing wrong..

To add to my original post, I tried scanning for error codes using the remote, but that didn't give me anything (tried it while the unit was on and while it was off)

17 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

Called the manufacturers, but they didn't do shit.. all they did was look at the unit and said they found nothing wrong..

To add to my original post, I tried scanning for error codes using the remote, but that didn't give me anything (tried it while the unit was on and while it was off)

I would call the manufacturer back and explain to them the problem. if they send someone out, demonstrate the issue to them. If they say nothing is wrong, call the support line back while they are there, and find out what the eff is going on.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Call the company back, don't pay them for the first visit, they didn't do their job. Get them to have another crack. 

38 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

I would call the manufacturer back and explain to them the problem. if they send someone out, demonstrate the issue to them. If they say nothing is wrong, call the support line back while they are there, and find out what the eff is going on.

28 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Call the company back, don't pay them for the first visit, they didn't do their job. Get them to have another crack. 

If the first people that came "found nothing wrong" then I'm sure anyone else that comes will say the same thing.. they're useless

1 minute ago, lewdicrous said:

If the first people that came "found nothing wrong" then I'm sure anyone else that comes will say the same thing.. they're useless

Look, you have three choices:

1. Do nothing, deal with the fact that your AC is broken, and will remain broken forever until you replace it

2. Contact a third party HVAC/AC repair tech, pay to have it fixed

3. Or just call the manufacturers back and be firm

Frankly, you just need to call them back, and be clear, do not accept no, do not accept "it's fine". If they send the same tech back, ask for a different tech. Have them send another one. If they keep sending techs, keep complaining until eventually it gets fixed.

check if there's enough current and also for damaged cables

the flashing light could indicate a thermostat not working or compressor overheating error

if your AC uses the "inverter" tech you can say goodbye to it and start calling the store or manufacturer for a replacement...

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

Honestly, air conditioners are pretty simple; do a little diagnosis yourself and you can probably figure out what's wrong. In these kinds of instances its almost always less of a hassle to find the problem and fix it yourself. Plus it's pretty much always a lot cheaper. 

air-conditioner.png

Based on what you're saying, it sounds like a thermostat issue to me. Sounds like the thermostat is telling the compressor to shut down. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

24 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

If they haven't done the job you should get them to do it properly. The workers either do the job and get paid or don't and get someone who can.

12 hours ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Honestly, air conditioners are pretty simple; do a little diagnosis yourself and you can probably figure out what's wrong. In these kinds of instances its almost always less of a hassle to find the problem and fix it yourself. Plus it's pretty much always a lot cheaper. 

air-conditioner.png

Based on what you're saying, it sounds like a thermostat issue to me. Sounds like the thermostat is telling the compressor to shut down. 

The OP has stated that it puts out cold air when the operation light is on but stops doing so when the timer light starts flashing. Sounds like an issue with the timer or a more general fault with the controller rather than a thermostat - if it was a thermostat fault I wouldn't expect it to put out cold air when the timer wasn't interfering.

• 2 months later...

Update: Finally found the issue, turns out the drain line was being blocked by a tree..

Moral of the story: Never forget to check the least possible solution/problem