RDP quality driving me insane.

so.. once again i seem to be bumping into issues that are uniquely experienced by me.. because google's coming up dry for me.

i currently have a setup where a small computer somewhere in a clouset is running a few applications that i want to carry between my desktop and my laptop "seamlessly".

and it all runs nice and well, box is running, i can do RDP from any system i want, and it works flawlessly.

except... it actually doesnt.

usually when i use my laptop (a *very* underpowered glorified tablet running windows 10 on some intel atom processor) the image starts out a bit fuzzy, but quite quickly turns crisp and stays that way even when a lot of stuff moves around. in odd occasions it stays fuzzy on my laptop, but thats usually just due to bad wifi.

on my desktop.. (i7 4790k, 32GB ram, wired into gigabit ethernet..) the image always starts out fuzzy, and usually remains that way for quite an extended time, and the moment stuff moves it turns into blockfest again, like watching a 2007 youtube video.

both systems run windows 10 home, both systems have roughly the same amount of background software, both systems run RDP with roughly the same resolution (i've already troubleshooted with different resolutions, it seems to make absolute zero difference on the whole range from 800x600 up to 2560x1440))

in short.. the completely underpowered system on a questionable wifi connection runs great, and the overpowered desktop with "near unlimited" bandwidth to toss at RDP is severely disappointing.

This whole situation is starting to bug me that much i've decided to try HP's remote graphics software, which carries a hefty $650 license cost, if you decide to keep it past the 60 day trial. its pushing near flawless video stream but besides mentioned license cost there's plenty of other problems i face with it that make me prefer RDP. its just that the fuzz is making me that annoyed that i'm *actually* considering on buying a piece of software thats more expensive than buying two more laptops like the one i have.

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

have you tried chaning the quality settings? by default it uses auto quality, but you can force it to max quality.

tried just about every setting i could find in just about every sensible option (not many..)

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

tried just about every setting i could find in just about every sensible option (not many..)

what rdp client are you using? screenshot?

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

what rdp client are you using? screenshot?

just bog standard built in to windows.

i've noticed on my old laptop with windows 7 it works notably better than with my desktop too.

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

just bog standard built in to windows.

i've noticed on my old laptop with windows 7 it works notably better than with my desktop too.

which one? There are 2 different ones.

screenshot of settings?

10 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

which one? There are 2 different ones.

enlighten me about the second one? unless you're on about the modern app.

as for settings.. i've literally gone trough every option on every setting..

EDIT: appareantly.. windows has -on its own- already put build 1803 on my laptop and the remote computer, but not on my main desktop.. for some odd reason a completely out of date windows 7 machine can pull better RDP quality than windows 10 build 1709, and build 1803 fixes that.. oddly enough.

38 minutes ago, manikyath said:

enlighten me about the second one? unless you're on about the modern app.

as for settings.. i've literally gone trough every option on every setting..

EDIT: appareantly.. windows has -on its own- already put build 1803 on my laptop and the remote computer, but not on my main desktop.. for some odd reason a completely out of date windows 7 machine can pull better RDP quality than windows 10 build 1709, and build 1803 fixes that.. oddly enough.

yea there is the modern app and the old one and there setup differently. 

Screen shot of options?

Whats the host os?

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

yea there is the modern app and the old one and there setup differently. 

Screen shot of options?

Whats the host os?

both systems run windows 10 home

turns out that updating to build 1803 fixed the fuzzyness.. i'm now busy fixing everything else that build 1803 broke, like hwinfo64 shared memory support..

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

both systems run windows 10 home

turns out that updating to build 1803 fixed the fuzzyness.. i'm now busy fixing everything else that build 1803 broke, like hwinfo64 shared memory support..

windows 10 home doesn't have a rdp server...

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

windows 10 home doesn't have a rdp server...

correction, sevrerside is windows 10 pro, i missed that one.. :P