Xfinity 5ghz Wifi using 80Mhz channel width

AlanAlan

I was scrolling through the xfinity wifi setting and I saw that the 5Ghz network was using a 80Mhz channel width. Is that normal? On my ubiquiti ap I have 5Ghz on 40Mhz. Should I change my xfinity router to match the channel widths of my access point?

80MHz enables faster AC speeds and peak performance but depending on how close it is to the Ubiquity AP you might want to drop it to 40MHz for less interference.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

4 hours ago, Lurick said:

80MHz enables faster AC speeds and peak performance but depending on how close it is to the Ubiquity AP you might want to drop it to 40MHz for less interference.

The distance is about 50ft away. Should I drop it to 40Mhz?

15 minutes ago, AlanAlan said:

The distance is about 50ft away. Should I drop it to 40Mhz?

I think he meant close as far as what channels each network is on.

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

The MHZ is how much of the wireless channel band you take up
Image result for wireless channels

This is the spectrum for 2.4. The blue dome (for lack of a better word) is how much that SSID would take. So for example that one is on channel 6 but is 20mhz, so bleeds into 4, 5, 7 and 8. If it were 40mhz, it would take double.
The one that you have mentioned is 80mhz, so is freaking massive (The 5ghz spectrum is much longer however). What Lurick meant about how close the AP and the router is that if they're very close then your AP is taking up a lot of the 5ghz spectrum which may cause interference with what your router is kicking out (if they're on the same channel)

Try a free wifi analyzer app and see what it can see in the air, if it is interfering a lot with other 5ghz broadcasts then maybe change what channel the AP is broadcasting on.

Intel i5 6600k @ 4.5GHz | NZXT Kraken X52 | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | Asus ROG Strix GTX 1070 | 16GB DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 3200MHz | CoolerMaster MasterCase 5

20 hours ago, AlanAlan said:

I was scrolling through the xfinity wifi setting and I saw that the 5Ghz network was using a 80Mhz channel width. Is that normal? On my ubiquiti ap I have 5Ghz on 40Mhz. Should I change my xfinity router to match the channel widths of my access point?

Yeah its normal. Are you having problems? If not dont bother changing it.