Large capacity, quiet, high reliability hard drive for media centre/NAS. Toshiba N300?

akb8812

So I'm looking to expand the storage in my media centre pc which also doubles as a makeshift NAS (temporary solution, I hope) I currently have a 2TB P300 drive from Toshiba which is almost full so in the next few days I'm gonna have to upgrade.

I'm thinking of going for 8TB just so I don't have to upgrade again for few years hopefully. Initially I was gonna go for the Seagate IronWolf, however after researching a bit I've been put off by reports of people having issues with the drive making a loud buzzing sound when it's idle which is a bit of a deal breaker since this will be in a PC in my living room. The only options I have where I live is the WD RED, the aforementioned Iron Wolf from Seagate and then the N300 series from Toshiba which has piqued my interest a bit. I've been very happy with my current Toshiba drive so I'm inclined to give it a try, has anyone here ever used the Toshiba NAS drives, if so how's the acoustics and long term performance been?

3 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I've heard really good things about WD Reds and pretty bad things about modern Toshibas.

got any data to support this?

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

got any data to support this?

WD as a whole makes good drives, never heard bad things about them.

I have a friend that's had really bad experiences with modern Toshibas and I've seen forum posts saying the same thing.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

WD as a whole makes good drives, never heard bad things about them.

I have a friend that's had really bad experiences with modern Toshibas and I've seen forum posts saying the same thing.

yea horrible sample size there. 

And I have seen bad wd drives. 

All the major drive makers have about the same failure rates.

I've heard really good things about WD Reds

As have I.

I haven't had as many WD drives fail compared to other brands.

However this is all subject as to how and where you use it, each individual's experience will be different.

Here is a website that compared all the leading brands' drives and their failure rates:

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/175089-who-makes-the-most-reliable-hard-drives

At the end of the day - Purchase what you feel comfortable with, and what your budget allows you to purchase.

Cheers.

PS:

yea horrible sample size there. 

And I have seen bad wd drives. 

All the major drive makers have about the same failure rates

@Electronics Wizardy

Simple agree to disagree,

However this is not really contributing to the question that is being asked. 

The OP asked if anyone has used these drives before, and we are giving our opinion on it.

No, we may not be able to back it up with data, however we are able to mention our experiences with the drives.

Maybe you would like to comment on which drives worked for you, this would me much more helpful.

Thanks.

Edited by Guest
Had to contribute something else.

I'd go for WD Reds, as mentioned above. They are the standard when it comes to NAS drives.

REMEMBER:

IF YOU WANT ME TO RESPOND, YOU GOTTA QUOTE ME 

OR

PUT @Fixinit1 IN YOUR RESPONSE!!!!!

Gosh, I hate it when people forget. Anyway, check out my PC below, and there's a PCPartPicker link on my profile, If you wanna see what I'm planning.

Spoiler

SYSTEM SPECS: Finally ditched the Pentium N3540, now I've got the following:

CPU - Ryzen 5 2400G

GPU - 1060 6GB Gigabyte G1 Gaming

RAM - 16GB DDR4 3000mhz Team T-Force Delta RGB

MOTHERBOARD - MSI B350 Tomahawk

PSU - EVGA 450BT

CASE - PHANTEKS  P350X

I was set on pulling the trigger on the WD Red but I wondered about the lower RPM speeds. 5400 vs the 7200 of the others. The consumer grade drive I have now is blazing fast copying files to it through 1Gbps network. But maybe the difference isn't that obvious.