Upgrade Path?

Go to solution Solved by WereCat,
6 minutes ago, mbryant said:

Cool! Any motherboard recommendations? Or would whatever they release be on a new chipset? 

apparently there will be z390 and it won't work on z370

So I built my current system 2 and a half years ago. It's still fine and more than capable of gaming but I feel like it's lacking a little. I feel like I'm suffering when it comes to rendering and exporting videos. I'd like to upgrade my CPU, Motherboard, and RAM but I don't really know what platform to go with. My PC spends more time gaming than editing but I really need the performance bump in editing. I've kept up a little bit with CPUs since I bought my current one but I mean I haven't done much research since intel's 7th gen came out. I'd like to keep my total upgrade between $500 - $900 USD but if possible I'd really love to get away with it for under $750. I'll be going with liquid cooling this time around too but I'm not factoring that into the upgrade as I'll just start with a Hyper 212 EVO. I'm not looking to upgrade until about 6 months from now but I figured I should start planning now. 

Any suggestions? I really don't want to go with AMD, not that it's bad I just prefer to stick with intel. 

System: i7 4790K, Hyper 212 EVO, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix, GTX 1070 Super clocked, MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition, Corsair RM 750, Corsair 750D (with 2 additional 140mm NZXT fans up top for exhaust.) 

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

What are your current specs?

In my signature :P

System: i7 4790K, Hyper 212 EVO, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix, GTX 1070 Super clocked, MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition, Corsair RM 750, Corsair 750D (with 2 additional 140mm NZXT fans up top for exhaust.) 

3 minutes ago, mbryant said:

In my signature :P

I would aim for Coffee Lake if you don't like Ryzen.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

If you are up to date with Premiere Pro then CoffeeLake but maybe wait for the 8-core?

9 minutes ago, WereCat said:

If you are up to date with Premiere Pro then CoffeeLake but maybe wait for the 8-core?

I was kind of wondering about that. I'd be paying 5 - 900 to get a 6 core system which I'm sure would be no slouch. Is an 8 core CPU coming soon? I don't know when Intel's normal launch cycle is. Or are they still just throwing something on the market as soon as AMD drops something?

1 minute ago, mbryant said:

Or are they still just throwing something on the market as soon as AMD drops something?

pretty much this

should be out in about 2-3 months

1 minute ago, WereCat said:

pretty much this

should be out in about 2-3 months

Cool! Any motherboard recommendations? Or would whatever they release be on a new chipset? 

6 minutes ago, mbryant said:

1 minute ago, WereCat said:

Lol wow I've been out of the loop for a while. Well then I suppose I'll be waiting until at least the holidays to upgrade!