WD Blue vs Seagate Barracuda

I'm looking to purchase a new 1 tb HDD and don't know which to chose. They both are regarded as on of the best drives. However, I don't know which one is better, faster, reliable, etc. Which one would be the better one to purchase? Please give any experience that you may have with either of the drives. Thanks.

I have a Seagate Barracuda in my rig as my main storage drive right now and have had no problems, but WD is often considered more reliable. If you're just looking at 1TB, I'd go for the Blue drive. If you wanted to move to a 2TB drive, then the Barracuda, seeing as the blue doesn't come any bigger than 1TB.

I have the Barracuda drive in my system, I like it. My uncle who works a lot with drives and things personally had a lot of problems with WD and told me not to get it so I guess that something that I'm a bit bias on :mellow:

CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Motherboard: Gigabyte-H77-DS3H Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB  PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W

Acer Aspire S7 Overview Sennheiser PC360

well look at this way if you are going WD you have 4 choices:

Black - known as gaming style HDD should not be run 24/7 but is very quick

blue - casual drive slower than the black but can be run 24/7 ( i beleive anyway i am a bit drunk so xD )

red - known as a RAID drive for sure can be run 24/7 very good for storage comes from 500-4TB i believe

green - for low power usage also known as green peace aha good for low power consumption but not for high usage as it is very slow. but also great for mass data storage 

Current Build : 

CASE: Fractal Design R4 w/Window CPU: Intel 4930K,  RAM: 16GB Ripjaws Z 2133Mhz  Cooling: H100i  MotherBoard: Asus P9x79 Pro , PSU: CS750M   Storage: 2x Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb , 1Tb Seagate Barracuda, 500GB WD Black,  Graphics: Gigabyte GTX 780 Windforce 3GB,  Monitors: AOC G2460PG ( G sync monitor), Edge10 24" 1080p , 24" 1680*1020p monitor ( LCD)  Microphone: Blue Yeti  Keyboard: Cougar 700k  Phone: Samsung Note 3  Headphones: Sennheiser HD598

Laptop:

CPU: 
4710MQ  Ram: 8GB 1600MHz Storage:120Gb 840 Evo + 1Tb 5400Rpm HDD  Graphics: GTX 850M 2GB   Screen: 1080p IPS  

well look at this way if you are going WD you have 4 choices:

Black - known as gaming style HDD should not be run 24/7 but is very quick

blue - casual drive slower than the black but can be run 24/7 ( i beleive anyway i am a bit drunk so xD )

red - known as a RAID drive for sure can be run 24/7 very good for storage comes from 500-4TB i believe

green - for low power usage also known as green peace aha good for low power consumption but not for high usage as it is very slow. but also great for mass data storage 

Blue and Black probably shouldn't be run 24/7, they just aren't robust enough (Blue only has 2 years warranty). Red or Enterprise drives are needed for that kind of operation.

barracuda, i have it right now and i dont complain, barracuda is cheapest, best for me

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

Blue and Black probably shouldn't be run 24/7, they just aren't robust enough (Blue only has 2 years warranty). Red or Enterprise drives are needed for that kind of operation.

black i can understand, blue i don't really know what that one is for. 

Current Build : 

CASE: Fractal Design R4 w/Window CPU: Intel 4930K,  RAM: 16GB Ripjaws Z 2133Mhz  Cooling: H100i  MotherBoard: Asus P9x79 Pro , PSU: CS750M   Storage: 2x Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb , 1Tb Seagate Barracuda, 500GB WD Black,  Graphics: Gigabyte GTX 780 Windforce 3GB,  Monitors: AOC G2460PG ( G sync monitor), Edge10 24" 1080p , 24" 1680*1020p monitor ( LCD)  Microphone: Blue Yeti  Keyboard: Cougar 700k  Phone: Samsung Note 3  Headphones: Sennheiser HD598

Laptop:

CPU: 
4710MQ  Ram: 8GB 1600MHz Storage:120Gb 840 Evo + 1Tb 5400Rpm HDD  Graphics: GTX 850M 2GB   Screen: 1080p IPS  

black i can understand, blue i don't really know what that one is for. 

It's the cheap, budget stuff.

Western Digital is by far the fastest and better by any standards. It is the most reliable by all means. They just last.

Any statistics to back this up?

Western Digital is by far the fastest and better by any standards. It is the most reliable by all means. They just last.

*cough* fanboy *cough*

The barracuda's performance is between the black and blue. 

Also, WD and seagate are pretty much equally reliable and it's very likely their hdd's come from the same factories. 

@guas5373

Both are good drives. The barracuda is slightly faster. Get whichever is cheapest.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

*cough* fanboy *cough*

Also, WD and seagate are pretty much equally reliable and it's very likely their hdd's come from the same factories. 

@guas5373

Both are good drives. The barracuda is slightly faster. Get whichever is cheapest.

I've had good luck in the past with a barracuda drive, so I'll probably be getting that. Thanks for the info.

*cough* fanboy *cough*

@guas5373

Screw you. Western Digital is more reliable according to the millions of hours of research I've done. WD is faster as well.

Screw you. Western Digital is more reliable according to the millions of hours of research I've done. WD is faster as well.

1 million hours ~ 114 years. I doubt you spent that much time researching. 

Now, WD and Seagate both have many different types of drives some faster than others. Saying a blanket statement like WD is just plain faster is simply not true.

If you want to compare individual types of drives, you're going to have to show some benchmarks. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I have purchased 5 WD blue, none of them has failed.

I have 1 barracuda, Its still working just fine too.

Main rig. Updated :D CPU: FX8350 @stock Cooler: Corsair h110 Motherboard: Ga-990fxa-ud5 Memory: Corsair Vengance 8Gigs 1866Mhz GPU: MSI GTX 970 SLI (blower cooler)  PSU: Cooler Master Silent pro 850w SSD: Corsair Force GT 60Gb HDD: WD 500 Caviar blue Case: Thermaltake core V71 Fan controler: NZXT Sentry

Secondary PC: CPU: i5 4670k @stock Cooler: Thermaltake NIC L/31 Motherboard: Asus Z97I-PLUS Memory: Corsair Vengance 8Gigs 2133Mhz GPU: ZOTAC GTX 780 (Titan cooler) PSU: Antec 520m Pro SSD: Corsair Force GT 60Gb HDD: WD 500 Caviar blue & WD 2TB Green Case: Thermaltake core V1

My mother has a barracuda that lasted her over 100 000 hours and still works perfectly fine today. I personally prefer and trust Seagate.