Should I buy a GPU now?

Zeorth

So im planning on buying new pc parts this weekend for my build. However is now a good time to buy a gpu? Will the prices keep rising or do you guys think crypto will crash soon?

If you have enough money right now for a 1080 do it because it’s at MSRP. The other cards aside from the 1080Ti is less than 100 more than MSRP so it’s your choice.

poop

18 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

what gpu do you want to get?

1070Ti or 1080

6 minutes ago, OreoPandas said:

1070Ti or 1080

Go for 1070 Ti if you wanna save money. Can you tell me your full pc specs and what res and hz your monitor is?

poop

1070ti is very close to the 1080 for less money.  

Crypto has been going down but it's going to be a slow decline because supplies still need to replenish.  If you really want a card now then go for it.  We're probably not going to see new cards for at least another half year, so that also factors into the prices.

5 hours ago, OreoPandas said:

or do you guys think crypto will crash soon?

Unfortunately, I don't have a crystal ball, so I can't tell :|

5 hours ago, OreoPandas said:

However is now a good time to buy a gpu?

On June 5, however, Nvidia’s own CEO Jensen Huang threw everything up in the air when he said we wouldn’t see the next GeForce GPU for “a long time” at this year’s Computex. He wouldn’t be drawn on exactly how long “a long time” actually meant, but it certainly doesn’t sound like Turing will be here in just a couple of months time. So if you need a graphics card, then you should simply buy one.

52 minutes ago, OreoPandas said:

Obviously I haven't selected a gpu yet but here is the rest. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/k7fXRJ

Performance difference between 1070Ti and 1080 isn't that big; really for a big step up from a 1070Ti I would be looking at the 1080Ti. All GTX 1070 Ti ship with an underwhelming base and boost clock. If you can overclock most of them to the same frequencies as the 1080, then you will have roughly 90 % of the performance or more of a GTX 1080. Really the biggest difference is the memory speed. I doubt you'll be able to clock the memory as high, but I've seen people get pretty impressive numbers though.

However, looking at your monitors, you are going for 1440p at very high refresh rate. In that case I'm more tempted to go for the 1080 instead.

37 minutes ago, Christophe Corazza said:

Performance difference between 1070Ti and 1080 isn't that big; really for a big step up from a 1070Ti I would be looking at the 1080Ti. All GTX 1070 Ti ship with an underwhelming base and boost clock. If you can overclock most of them to the same frequencies as the 1080, then you will have roughly 90 % of the performance or more of a GTX 1080. Really the biggest difference is the memory speed. I doubt you'll be able to clock the memory as high, but I've seen people get pretty impressive numbers though.

However, looking at your monitors, you are going for 1440p at very high refresh rate. In that case I'm more tempted to go for the 1080 instead.

Alright cheers! Only 50 dollars difference so I could go GTX 1080!

8 minutes ago, OreoPandas said:

Alright cheers! Only 50 dollars difference so I could go GTX 1080!

Yes, the additional $ 50 is totaly justified in your situation. :)

nice system, shot some benches up when you get it up and going. I see your going for a delid straight out of the box lol

Firestrike 
i7-8700k @5.0GHz w/ 1.30v, Corsair h100iv2, Gigabye Aorus gaming 7, 16GB(8x2) 2666MHz ddr4, Dual RX470's OC'd to 1390mhz(atm) in corssfire - liguid cooled with corsair h60's, 3.25 TB in Samsung SSD's, anidees white crystal cube case 

Retired:
i5-4440k @3.2GHz, gigabyte ga-z87x-ud5h z87, 24GB DDR3, 3x1TB Seagate Baracuda HDD.

13 minutes ago, O9B0666 said:

nice system, shot some benches up when you get it up and going. I see your going for a delid straight out of the box lol

My first pc so I dont know what a delid is :P

15 minutes ago, O9B0666 said:

I see your i7 8700k is on 5GHz with 1.30 volts. I was going to try 5GHz with 1.35 volts. Is it stable at 1.30 volts or should I go for 1.35?

10 minutes ago, OreoPandas said:

I see your i7 8700k is on 5GHz with 1.30 volts. I was going to try 5GHz with 1.35 volts. Is it stable at 1.30 volts or should I go for 1.35?

every chip is different. A delid is 

I did mine no problem first time with a scalpel/hobby knife. It will decrease your temps alot, mine 16c. If your not delidding, be careful with this stuff Thermal Grizzly - Conductonaut 1g Thermal Paste this is more for delidding. You typically dont want something conductive for regular past, just delid. It can short stuff out, its conductive. Thats what threw me off about the delid. But that is what i used to delid, it helped mine alot i first used some cheap stuff. Yes i am 100% stable at 5ghz 1.30, i ran it through several firestrikes, and 43 minute stress testing. Some 1.25-1.35. When i get a better aio/and or better aio fans i am going to push this a bit, not for a 24/7 just for fun, and benching. Try to hit 5.3-.54

thats a hell-build...nice, i would recommend getting some artic silver 5 thermal paste, but keep the concutanaught stuff incase.

Firestrike 
i7-8700k @5.0GHz w/ 1.30v, Corsair h100iv2, Gigabye Aorus gaming 7, 16GB(8x2) 2666MHz ddr4, Dual RX470's OC'd to 1390mhz(atm) in corssfire - liguid cooled with corsair h60's, 3.25 TB in Samsung SSD's, anidees white crystal cube case 

Retired:
i5-4440k @3.2GHz, gigabyte ga-z87x-ud5h z87, 24GB DDR3, 3x1TB Seagate Baracuda HDD.

2 hours ago, O9B0666 said:

every chip is different. A delid is 

I did mine no problem first time with a scalpel/hobby knife. It will decrease your temps alot, mine 16c. If your not delidding, be careful with this stuff Thermal Grizzly - Conductonaut 1g Thermal Paste this is more for delidding. You typically dont want something conductive for regular past, just delid. It can short stuff out, its conductive. Thats what threw me off about the delid. But that is what i used to delid, it helped mine alot i first used some cheap stuff. Yes i am 100% stable at 5ghz 1.30, i ran it through several firestrikes, and 43 minute stress testing. Some 1.25-1.35. When i get a better aio/and or better aio fans i am going to push this a bit, not for a 24/7 just for fun, and benching. Try to hit 5.3-.54

thats a hell-build...nice, i would recommend getting some artic silver 5 thermal paste, but keep the concutanaught stuff incase.

Is the thermal kryonaut better?

1 hour ago, OreoPandas said:

Is the thermal kryonaut better?

personally i like noctua paste and the liquid metal cryanaught  for delid are my preferemce

Firestrike 

Retired:

5 hours ago, O9B0666 said:

I did mine no problem first time with a scalpel/hobby knife.

...........how......why.....oh god....why...

“Security is always excessive until it’s not enough.”

– Robbie Sinclair, Head of Security, NSW Australia 

“Have you tried turning it off and on again?” - Every Tech Rep Ever

If you need help with your build please tag me.

Main PC:

CPU: Ryzen 3 1300x RAM: 8gb ddr4 2666 MT/s Mobo: ASRock A320M HDD: 1tb WD GPU: Gtx 1050ti 4gb

Spoiler

P.s. if you can tell me what reference my location I will follow you. 

Bonus points if you can tell me the names of the people there. 

5 hours ago, I-r0k said:

...........how......why.....oh god....why...

I watched a bunch of videos and several use a straight razor lol. Why? My local shop is sold out at 37.99 instantly and don't wanna wait to order one... Its seriously like cutting a hard boiled egg if you have a new razor 

Firestrike 

Retired:

On 6/14/2018 at 2:06 PM, OreoPandas said:

So im planning on buying new pc parts this weekend for my build. However is now a good time to buy a gpu? Will the prices keep rising or do you guys think crypto will crash soon?

Now is probably fine, and I know you didnt ask but maybe it will help, you can get a 1080ti for around $900, or spend $600 and get a 1080, so it depends how strapped for cash you are, obviously 1080ti is better but probably not $300 more better.

You're going for a dual monitor 1440p @ 165Hz setup?

Even the 1080 Ti will be having troubles.

1) Gaming Rig: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/TZskD2

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K @ 4.2GHz OC | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97N-WiFi ITX | RAM: 2x8GB DDR3-1600MHz G.Skill Ripjaws X-series | GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 Ti SC @ 1817MHz OC

PSU: EVGA 650W G2 80+ Gold | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX | Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo w/ Noctua NF-F12 Fan | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | HDD: WD Blue 2TB

Monitor: Dell S2417DG 1440p @ 144Hz w/ G-Sync | Speakers: M-Audio Studiophile AV40 | Keyboard: Corsair K65 Compact Cherry MX Red | Mouse: Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury

2) Digital Forensics Rig: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sWV7w6

CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2650 v3 @ 2.3GHzMotherboard: ASRock EP2C612D16-4L RAM: 8x16GB DDR4-2133MHz Samsung ECC Server Memory

PSU: EVGA 1200W P2 80+ Platnium | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo | Cooler: 2x Noctua NH-U9DX i4 | SSD: Samsung 960 PRO 1TB | HDD: 4x WD Red 4TB

Monitor: 2x LG25UM56-P 2560x1080p @ 60Hz

OP, id wait till july 30th before you select a gpu, if you want a top of the line one, if your ok with a 1070ti and dont play 4k then all means right now it is at a good price, and ive been seeing 1070's, and 80's dirt cheap pop[ping up on cl around me now. None of us know but if they do something july 30th, then current 10 series prices may drop more too, or new stuff may come, id wait if you can.

Firestrike 

Retired: