High CPU temps after mobo change

Hello,

I have just changed my motherboard from a X370-i to a B350-i and after reinstalling windows (fresh) I noticed that my CPU temperatures while playing Rocket League were sitting in the 70s.

This is quite unusual and after quitting the game the CPU temperatures didn't drop in a matter of seconds, but it was taking a long time.

Therefore, I opened the case and checked if the stock cooler was screwed in correctly and it was.

The only difference other than the motherboard is that I moved from the UK to Italy and the temperatures here are 30 degrees celsius, while in UK they were 20ish.

Could 10C* ambient make such a big difference? Should I remove my slight OC (3.6GHz, 1.256v)? I haven't stress tested it in fears of overheating the thing.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

Potentially the update that removes ryzen's +20°C temperature addition has not been installed yet, showing your cpu temp with a +20°C offset

Is the fan fully operational? is the PC in a spot where it can get fresh cool air constantly and recirculate hot air?  Are you positive the heat sink is seated properly.  Is there thermal paste?  Did you have case fans stop working... Could the inlets be clogged with Dust?

2 minutes ago, Gameking002 said:

Potentially the update that removes ryzen's +20°C temperature addition has not been installed yet, showing your cpu temp with a +20°C offset

Just now, jobe1022 said:

Is the fan fully operational? is the PC in a spot where it can get fresh cool air constantly and recirculate hot air?  Are you positive the heat sink is seated properly.  Is there thermal paste?  Did you have case fans stop working... Could the inlets be clogged with Dust?

I disable XBOX DVR and the temps look fine now (mid 50s).

However, after reading Gameking002 post I went to check if Ryzen Balanced power plan was there and it is not. I have installed the chipset drivers, but it's still not there. Should I try reinstalling them again on top of the previous ones? I have no idea how to uninstall previous chipset drivers.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

This could be a mainboard related issue. I don't have a lot of experience with Ryzen, but it might be some kind of auto load line calibration or auto vcore setting adding unnecessary voltage for extra "stability". A lot of manufacturers include these features which are switched on by default sometimes. I've had this happen on an Asus Z87 Deluxe mainboard once and nearly killed my 4770k because I was increasing voltage manually but didn't realize that that one bios feature allready did add voltage automatically. That would at least explain why your chip is constantly running hot and not cooling down after you stopped stressing it.

7 minutes ago, black0utm1rage said:

This could be a mainboard related issue. I don't have a lot of experience with Ryzen, but it might be some kind of auto load line calibration or auto vcore setting adding unnecessary voltage for extra "stability". A lot of manufacturers include these features which are switched on by default sometimes. I've had this happen on an Asus Z87 Deluxe mainboard once and nearly killed my 4770k because I was increasing voltage manually but didn't realize that that one bios feature allready did add voltage automatically. That would at least explain why your chip is constantly running hot and not cooling down after you stopped stressing it.

Same happened me here with a 4790k and my z97 asus sabertooth mark s auto from asus puts 1,35v constant to my cpu and load line to 140% putting my cpu to high 70º under gaming without oc, when i started to touch settings 4,5 oced at 1,18-1,20  36º on idle 55º full load

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

1 minute ago, Gameking002 said:

Have you installed BIOS updates?

I havent, but the motherboard was released in december and all the updates I need were released in august really so not gonna fix something that doesnt need fixing.

I reinstalled the chipset drivers and now I have the ryzen balanced power plan, so it should be good.

Its sitting at 60 ingame steady now/

Unraid Server

5 minutes ago, Eibe said:

I havent

Then i recommend to install those updates, you never know, it might fix it, it might not. And even if it doesnt fix, bios updates do fix other potential instabilities or issues.