New to oc questions

Go to solution Solved by Jurrunio,
8 minutes ago, Jcb93 said:

I've seen on a lot of these tutorials not to go above 1.4v I was not quite stable at 1.4v on 4.7ghz and I'm wondering is this advice just for heat problems or is 1.4v just to much for the cpu?

1.4V is doable, but you have to let the CPU temps go even lower than it does now (target 65C) (the higher the voltage, the lower the safe temperature).

9 minutes ago, Jcb93 said:

What is the absolute max if in theory my cpu was still at a cool temp that you should go on voltage?

1.4V will be the absolute max for ambient cooling with your board. The thing is, Skylake and Kaby Lake CPUs top at 1.45V for ambient cooling, but I dont know whether the software voltage readings of your motherboard is accurate or not. You need a multimeter to tell.

10 minutes ago, Jcb93 said:

I was looking at changing my cm 212evo for a corsair h80iv2 will I see much or any drop in temp?

Yes temps will drop significantly, though not so much the noise level.

14 minutes ago, Jcb93 said:

Also besides the cpu voltage what other settings should I change or look at to help stabilize my overclock basically I know to set the ghz and voltage test and the raise voltage to try and stabilize but I would guess that there is more you can do to stabilize or help it some.

The lower the temperature (CPU and VRMs on the motherboard), the more stable it will be even when the settings are the same.

That's it. other measures hurt performance and ruins the point of increasing stability without dropping clocks.

15 minutes ago, Jcb93 said:

What temp is to much for a overclocking seen many different temps from 70-80°c and even some saying that a 85°c in a stability test isn't that bad since normal gaming isn't going to stress it that much and that you will probably never hit those temps but I have been shooting for the middle of what I have seen while I don't want to burn my cpu out in the next 6months I am planing on saving to get a new cpu and mobo in the next year and a half or two so what is the max temp I should be ok with in stability test after 8hours? 

I'm not so hardcore when it comes to stress test and I only do 5 minutes per try. I just bump the last stable voltage by another 0.05V to ensure stability....

Again, safe temps depends on voltage. 85C is fine for 1.3V, 75C is fine for 1.35V, 65C is good for 1.4V. It's fine if you ditch stress test and use voltages just enough to do things you do, say run games even if it crashes stress tests, but you run the risk of a crash.

Hello I am brand new to the forums, and wanted to ask some questions about overclocking that I'm also new to

Ok so I have a i5 6600k and a asus 170 pro gaming I've read other forums and tutorials on overclocking for my cpu and just overclocking ones so after following them I have got my overclock to 4.6ghz at 1.35v and I run adia 64 and realbench to check stability never getting hotter max temp than 75°c after 8hours 

So now for the questions and asking for some advice.

I've seen on a lot of these tutorials not to go above 1.4v I was not quite stable at 1.4v on 4.7ghz and I'm wondering is this advice just for heat problems or is 1.4v just to much for the cpu?

What is the absolute max if in theory my cpu was still at a cool temp that you should go on voltage?

I was looking at changing my cm 212evo for a corsair h80iv2 will I see much or any drop in temp?

Also besides the cpu voltage what other settings should I change or look at to help stabilize my overclock basically I know to set the ghz and voltage test and the raise voltage to try and stabilize but I would guess that there is more you can do to stabilize or help it some.

What temp is to much for a overclocking seen many different temps from 70-80°c and even some saying that a 85°c in a stability test isn't that bad since normal gaming isn't going to stress it that much and that you will probably never hit those temps but I have been shooting for the middle of what I have seen while I don't want to burn my cpu out in the next 6months I am planing on saving to get a new cpu and mobo in the next year and a half or two so what is the max temp I should be ok with in stability test after 8hours? 

Thanks for any and all help with my intro into overclocking!

8 minutes ago, Jcb93 said:

1.4V is doable, but you have to let the CPU temps go even lower than it does now (target 65C) (the higher the voltage, the lower the safe temperature).

9 minutes ago, Jcb93 said:

1.4V will be the absolute max for ambient cooling with your board. The thing is, Skylake and Kaby Lake CPUs top at 1.45V for ambient cooling, but I dont know whether the software voltage readings of your motherboard is accurate or not. You need a multimeter to tell.

10 minutes ago, Jcb93 said:

Yes temps will drop significantly, though not so much the noise level.

14 minutes ago, Jcb93 said:

The lower the temperature (CPU and VRMs on the motherboard), the more stable it will be even when the settings are the same.

That's it. other measures hurt performance and ruins the point of increasing stability without dropping clocks.

15 minutes ago, Jcb93 said:

I'm not so hardcore when it comes to stress test and I only do 5 minutes per try. I just bump the last stable voltage by another 0.05V to ensure stability....

Again, safe temps depends on voltage. 85C is fine for 1.3V, 75C is fine for 1.35V, 65C is good for 1.4V. It's fine if you ditch stress test and use voltages just enough to do things you do, say run games even if it crashes stress tests, but you run the risk of a crash.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

18 minutes ago, Jcb93 said:

Hello I am brand new to the forums, and wanted to ask some questions about overclocking that I'm also new to

Ok so I have a i5 6600k and a asus 170 pro gaming I've read other forums and tutorials on overclocking for my cpu and just overclocking ones so after following them I have got my overclock to 4.6ghz at 1.35v and I run adia 64 and realbench to check stability never getting hotter max temp than 75°c after 8hours 

So now for the questions and asking for some advice.

Thanks for any and all help with my intro into overclocking!

work at it by first increasing the clock speed, waiting for crashes, then increase voltage. Voltage is the variable you want to increase LAST, because overvolting will kill your CPU. use the beefiest cooler you have for maximum performance

thanks @Jurrunio very helpful only thing I would like to know is should I mostly be concerned with real world temp e.i. while I'm gaming or what I get in the stability test I normally have high temps of only 50-60°c while playing vs the 75°c max temp in stability testing I do think I'll start stability testing for a shorter time probably only 1-2 hours 

22 minutes ago, Jcb93 said:

thanks @Jurrunio very helpful only thing I would like to know is should I mostly be concerned with real world temp e.i. while I'm gaming or what I get in the stability test I normally have high temps of only 50-60°c while playing vs the 75°c max temp in stability testing I do think I'll start stability testing for a shorter time probably only 1-2 hours 

real world temps matters more. Stress test shouldnt be used to test temperatures, but stability.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s