SSD showing in bios but no where else

Tieox

Installed a SSD into my system, I know it works as I tried it on a caddy, and reformatted/partitioned it to NTFS as it was previously in a Macbook, it shows in the bios as drive 2, yet when I boot into Windows the drive does not show in :

1. File explorer

2. Device manager

3. Disk Management.

What the actual? anyone able to help me here.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

You could try booting from an linux live usb (I usually prefer ubuntu) and if it gets detected there reformat is as ntfs or just remove the formatting for you to see if you can format it from windows afterwards.

I've removed the drive, placed it in my USB 3.0 caddy, re partition it within Windows to NTFS, and all shows up fine, I put it back in the computer and it shows in bios, but not at ALL in Windows.

I've tried different sata ports that work as they normally have other drives in, I've changed the SATA cables, nothing seems to make this drive show apart from taking it out of the computer and putting it in a caddy...

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

1 hour ago, 0wen said:

If it shows up in the bios but not on windows go to the start menu and search "computer management" and see if is there then assign the SSD a letter and that should allow you to use it in windows.

I have mentioned it does not show in disk management, device manager, or file explorer, in all forms of manner in Windows the SSD is invisible.  Yet when put a caddy Windows notices the drive just fine, will read/write and I have reformatted/partitioned it twice to NTFS with default allocation size and assigned it a letter.

Yet it will not show in Windows when installed INSIDE the computer via Sata, and yes I have tried various sata leads/ports and power connectors.  My question is why.

Try if it shows up in DISKPART.

Search for "cmd.exe", and run it as admin. Then enter Diskpart (Just type diskpart).

Then "list disk". Does it show up?

If it does, you can type "select disk [number that was behind it in the listing, without brackets]".

Then "list partition". Then you can "select partition [number]" and "delete partition". Be very careful not to select your boot disk!

After that, you can "create partition primary". Then, you can "exit" diskpart and type "diskmgmt". It should now show up as a disk with RAW formatting. You can then rightclick and format it to anything you want. Then you can assign a drive letter.

Greetings, Olaf

35 minutes ago, Olafchan said:

Search for "cmd.exe", and run it as admin. Then enter Diskpart (Just type diskpart).

If it does, you can type "select disk [number that was behind it in the listing, without brackets]".

Then "list partition". Then you can "select partition [number]" and "delete partition". Be very careful not to select your boot disk!

After that, you can "create partition primary". Then, you can "exit" diskpart and type "diskmgmt". It should now show up as a disk with RAW formatting. You can then rightclick and format it to anything you want. Then you can assign a drive letter.

Greetings, Olaf

I just in Windows 10 right now, wiped the drive NTFS Default Allocation no problems and gave it drive letter M:/ which is unique.

I wrote a few large files too it and read them no issue, Scandisk is fine.  I removed the drive and installed in my PC, again it shows in bios fine.  When in Windows DISKPART does NOT show the drive, disk managment does NOT show the drive, and Windows Explorer does NOT show the drive.

I can remove the drive and put it in a caddy and Windows treats it as a normal drive..

WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON.. this is driving me daft.

Bios screengrab shows the 120GB Kingston which I wiped in my Windows 10 install to NTFS after a total wipe of the partition using Disk Management.

Yet as you can see in Windows.. no 120GB Kingston.

Untitled.png

20180612_183748.jpg

Can you remove all other drives and try to install Windows (or Linux, or another OS) to it? Maybe it shows up during the installation process.

Greetings, Olaf

It does then promptly refuses to turn up when Windows is running.

Kingston has a firmware update for it one small issue.

The update which fixes Comstat Reset on the drive requires it to be detected in Windows and in a Sata port, however that is the very issue i need to install the update to fix, and putting the drive in the caddy means the SSD managment software from Kingston can't detect it.

Just pass me a fucking hammer.

• 1 year later...
On 6/12/2018 at 9:52 PM, Kierax said:

It does then promptly refuses to turn up when Windows is running.

Kingston has a firmware update for it one small issue.

The update which fixes Comstat Reset on the drive requires it to be detected in Windows and in a Sata port, however that is the very issue i need to install the update to fix, and putting the drive in the caddy means the SSD managment software from Kingston can't detect it.

Just pass me a fucking hammer.

Did you solve this Problem? Im currently having the same problem with my SSD (Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500Gb). This problem is driving me mad. Ive tried everything that is listed as suggestions on this thread. It seems the hdd has combined with my SSD, but the SSD shows as its own individual disk in BIOS.

Hello,

I had what sounds like a similar problem.

I installed a new,kingston a400 ssd drive in my PC but it only appeared in the BIOS (in the 'excluded from boot' list).

It didn't appear in disk manager etc. or anywhere on my windows 10 PC.

I found this video on YouTube,the guy himself says it's a weird fix but it worked for me.

After doing the memory diagnostic thing in the video (which took ages,I just left my pc for an hour or so and it was done)the drive then appeared in disk manager and I was able to initialize it etc. 

I then cloned my windows to it and moved it to the top of the boot que in BIOS. seems to be working ok,theres an intermittent BSOD about driver power state failure but that occasionally happened with my old hdd as well.

Hope this helps.

• 2 years later...
On 6/12/2018 at 12:15 PM, Olafchan said:

Greetings, Olaf

Asking since you provided a possible solution for if it does show up in diskpart, do you have one that might work if it doesn’t show in diskpart. The ssd has windows boot manager installed as it is my primary one so I can’t access the regular os either. Thanks in advance