Is G-Sync worth it?

OmerZano

Hi all,

im buying a high-end system (i7 8700k and 1080ti)

and i was wondering if G-Sync is noticeable and worth it if i'm aiming to play exclusively at 144 fps.

I've read that its most noticeable when frames drop below the monitor's refresh rate and since that's probably not going to happen i was wondering if i should spend the extra money for G-Sync.

Since monitors are very pricey where i live it's a big deal. my choices are either the PG279Q or a larger monitor without G-sync.

I should mention its going to be used for gaming and TV watching so i would prefer a monitor around the 30-32" size.

Help would be much appreciated :$

G-sync only kicks in if the framerate is below your monitors refresh rate. It does nothing if the FPS is above your monitors refresh rate.

If your framerate drops from 144 to 100, G-sync will change your monitors refresh rate to 100.

If your framerate is 200, G-sync can't overclock your monitor to 200hz.

4 minutes ago, a-joh said:

G-sync only kicks in if the framerate is below your monitors refresh rate. It does nothing if the FPS is above your monitors refresh rate.

If your framerate drops from 144 to 100, G-sync will change your monitors refresh rate to 100.

If your framerate is 200, G-sync can't overclock your monitor to 200hz.

Thats helpful, thanks.

Is it a big difference though between a G-sync monitor or a different high-end high refresh rate monitor?

9 minutes ago, OmerZano said:

It's always a waste of money, better to get an equal or better free-sync display for the same or a lower price.

Look for korean monitors in your area, they're around $399 here for 1440p 144hz IPS displays

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

G-Sync is definitely nice. Whether you should get a monitor with G-Sync really depends on the price of the monitor and whether you can afford to spend that kind of money.

I got the AOC AG271QG because it was the cheapest 1440p 165Hz IPS G-Sync monitor and I am really happy with it.

But as was mentioned, G-Sync only works if the FPS are no more than your max refresh rate of the monitors, since G-Sync adaptively changes the Hz to match the FPS in order to remove tearing. If the FPS is higher than the Hz of the monitor then it cant match the Hz to the FPS, thus the G-Sync will be OFF.

I would also like to point out a huge flaw in G-Sync (same goes for Free-Sync).

If you are using multiple monitors, lets say the main one is 144Hz with G-sync and the other one is just 60Hz, and you play game in a windowed/borderless mode and you have something playing on the other 60Hz screen, then you may get a immense amount of stuttering because Windows tries to synch the monitors to match the Hz and G-Sync tries to fight against it.

This is not an issue at all if you play in a true FullScreen mode, but it makes using multiple monitors a bit more cumbersome since you have to ALT+TAB from the games.

52 minutes ago, WereCat said:

I would also like to point out a huge flaw in G-Sync (same goes for Free-Sync).

If you are using multiple monitors, lets say the main one is 144Hz with G-sync and the other one is just 60Hz, and you play game in a windowed/borderless mode and you have something playing on the other 60Hz screen, then you may get a immense amount of stuttering because Windows tries to synch the monitors to match the Hz and G-Sync tries to fight against it.

This is not an issue at all if you play in a true FullScreen mode, but it makes using multiple monitors a bit more cumbersome since you have to ALT+TAB from the games.

`.PNG

My advise is to ignore it.

i have the ACER 32 inch g-sync one and frankly, I can barely tell if the thing is on or not.

just find a monitor you like and if it has the thing then bonus, if not you are not missing out.

36 minutes ago, Technomancer__ said:

`.PNG

Ehm... that just makes G-Sync work in Windowed/Borderless mode. I am talking about a different issue here when you actually have this enabled.

On 6/10/2018 at 3:37 PM, OmerZano said:

Also,

is it not an issue to have an Nvidia card with a freesync monitor? (such as this https://www.asus.com/Monitors/ROG-Strix-XG32VQ/)

i think Gsync is worth it, playing at max settings i rarely stay at 120fps and for me you can tell everything is smoother when you are below max fps.   and yes if you plan on using a nvidia card you need gsync and not free sync