Best windows XP replacement for old desktops

What kind of linux would be a good choice? I tried budgie recently and it looks more like MacOS than windows. Would Puppy linux or lubuntu modify easier? The desktop only has 2 gigs of ram and 160GB drive (somehow has two SATA 3 available)

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Lubuntu, Xubuntu, and Puppy Linux are pretty popular for older desktops. I'd say Xubuntu is the most configurable, Lubuntu is the most lightweight, and Puppy Linux is the fastest. The thing with Puppy Linux is that it loads everything into RAM, so that could be a problem when using Chrome or something. I'd use Lubuntu for your machine.

You could also use Arch Linux, but that requires quite a bit of Linux knowledge.

15 hours ago, t4ils said:

Lubuntu, Xubuntu, and Puppy Linux are pretty popular for older desktops. I'd say Xubuntu is the most configurable, Lubuntu is the most lightweight, and Puppy Linux is the fastest. The thing with Puppy Linux is that it loads everything into RAM, so that could be a problem when using Chrome or something. I'd use Lubuntu for your machine.

You could also use Arch Linux, but that requires quite a bit of Linux knowledge.

ok thanks

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

try lubuntu.

*Intel atom n455

*1 gb ram

*480 gb storage                           

*intel learning but its not teaching

On 6/12/2018 at 4:01 PM, Sam13211 said:

try lubuntu.

Ok thanks

On 6/9/2018 at 3:30 PM, williamcll said:

What kind of linux would be a good choice? I tried budgie recently and it looks more like MacOS than windows. Would Puppy linux or lubuntu modify easier? The desktop only has 2 gigs of ram and 160GB drive (somehow has two SATA 3 available)

I suggest the KDE edition of Sabayon Linux or another distribution using KDE if you want a desktop similar to Windows XP’s desktop. Just be sure to disable the file indexing because it tends to slow things down. You can do that in the system settings dialog or just run ‘balooctl disable; pkill baloo`  to get rid of it.

If you are particularly attached to Windows XP, you could try ReactOS. It is literally a Windows clone that is compatible with Windows software, but do not expect much from it. It is not anywhere near any Linux based OS in quality.