Cryorig R1 Universal vs Dark Rock Pro 4

CriSis_

Once more I have come to halt...... RGB has taken over me :D 

I'm purchasing Trident Z RGB ram along with one of the coolers above and I'm not sure which one to go for.

I'll be using an 8700k on an Asus Maximus X Hero and would like to run it at 4.8ghz on all cores at around 80-85c (Feel free to give your opinion on these temps) 

I'm unwilling to go for an aio at this time due to the expense of the pc components and there is no guarantee of replacement parts if said parts were to be damaged by a leak etc. 

Which would deliver the better temps and within what margin? (I would personally assume the DPR4) 

Could someone show me some images of the DPR4 and the Cryorig R1 on an Asus Maximus X Hero so I will be able to see how much of the ram is visible? :D 

Also, feel free to leave any suggestions of different air coolers that will show the ram along with good temps. 

Excuse the awful grammar and layout (and probably the explanation) I am traveling again.:) 

Thanks for the help! 

I'd personally buy the Dark Rock Pro 4 even if it's really big because I think it's the best looking air cooler and it's really really silent. This isn't the same motherboard you have but this is what you should expect in terms of ram being hidden. 

It's the third picture in this page: https://www.hardwareluxx.de/index.php/artikel/hardware/kuehlung/46064-be-quiet-dark-rock-pro-4-und-dark-rock-4-im-doppeltest.html?start=3

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

• Been using AIO's for years, never had a single issue. Just buy a 280mm AIO, delid the 8700k and enjoy 5ghz on all cores in all it's glory, below 70C :)

7800x3d - RTX 4090 FE - 64GB-6000C30 - 2x2TB 990 Pro - 4K 144HZ

PCPP: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mdRcqR

Here is a pic of my DDR3 ram in my Maximus VII Hero with an Noctua NH-D15S won't be much different with your hardware.

20180609_114950.jpg

Forgive me El Guapo. I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education...

3 hours ago, iiNNeX said:
  • Been using AIO's for years, never had a single issue. Just buy a 280mm AIO, delid the 8700k and enjoy 5ghz on all cores in all it's glory, below 70C :)

1 - Air coolers often offer the same or better performance at a lower price compared to AIOs

2 - Not everyone wants to delid, some people like the option to use their warranty

3 - You don't need to delid to hit 5GhZ. Mine (not delidded) hit 5.3GhZ/1.45v, but it's a gold chip. 

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

The R1 Universal completely clears the dimm slots whereas the DRP4 would probably hang over the first slot.

The coolers trade blows in performance depending on the benchmark you're looking at but I think the DRP4 is generally the better performer as well as being quieter.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

On 09/06/2018 at 10:53 PM, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

1 - Air coolers often offer the same or better performance at a lower price compared to AIOs

2 - Not everyone wants to delid, some people like the option to use their warranty

3 - You don't need to delid to hit 5GhZ. Mine (not delidded) hit 5.3GhZ/1.45v, but it's a gold chip. 

- No air cooler will match a 280mm Premium AIO.

- Well sucks for those people I guess, performance > warranty for me but I acknowledge that everyone is different

- You do need to delid if you want decent temperatures. Mine hits 5.2ghz at 1.45v but I run at 5 and never exceed 70C even in Prime. And I'm on a 240mm  AIO with uprated fans.

Before delid temps were hitting 86 in prime on stock settings (with voltage set manually rather than auto in bios).

7800x3d - RTX 4090 FE - 64GB-6000C30 - 2x2TB 990 Pro - 4K 144HZ

PCPP: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mdRcqR