Windows 7 SP1 installation failed

As the title stated, my computer keeps having the error code 800F0A13 while installing Windows 7 SP1. This PC is a hand me down so I do not have the Windows installation disk. I also checked for other solutions but nothing seems to work for me and just decided to see if anyone in the LTT forum knows how to fix this. Thanks in advance.

42 minutes ago, KentLiew said:

As the title stated, my computer keeps having the error code 800F0A13 while installing Windows 7 SP1. This PC is a hand me down so I do not have the Windows installation disk. I also checked for other solutions but nothing seems to work for me and just decided to see if anyone in the LTT forum knows how to fix this. Thanks in advance.

What are the specs?

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

This error is a pretty bad one, and is usually due to:

Phyxion's Driver Sweeper. A software which supposed to remove all traces of a driver being installed. The company no longer exists.

They are long workarounds you can do, if you have a week-end to spare, but else than that, a clean install of Windows is needed.

The other possibility is a registry cleaner was used on the system and broke everything, or the system had a malware/virus which had a party in the system.  The fix is to clean install Windows.

• 1 month later...
On 10/06/2018 at 12:25 AM, AluminiumTech said:

What are the specs?

Sorry about the really really late reply, I didn't receive any notifications and after a while I just forgot about it since I had this problem when I first got this computer which is quite a long time ago.

Specs are:

Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300

2GB RAM

No discrete graphics card

On 10/06/2018 at 3:16 AM, GoodBytes said:

This error is a pretty bad one, and is usually due to:

Phyxion's Driver Sweeper. A software which supposed to remove all traces of a driver being installed. The company no longer exists.

They are long workarounds you can do, if you have a week-end to spare, but else than that, a clean install of Windows is needed.

The other possibility is a registry cleaner was used on the system and broke everything, or the system had a malware/virus which had a party in the system.  The fix is to clean install Windows.

Well, I am pretty much out of options so I would like to know what is the long workaround I can do.

Are you installing fresh Win7 sp1 and it gives you error while installation process? Or I missunderstand something? Or maybe you just upgrade existing installation?

On 21/07/2018 at 8:02 PM, homeap5 said:

Are you installing fresh Win7 sp1 and it gives you error while installation process? Or I missunderstand something? Or maybe you just upgrade existing installation?

I currently have Windows 7 Home Premium installed and I want to install the SP1 update from Windows Update but I keep getting the error.

You can download standalone sp1 for win7 instead of using Windows Update.

15 hours ago, homeap5 said:

You can download standalone sp1 for win7 instead of using Windows Update.

15 hours ago, TechyBen said:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/15090/windows-7-install-service-pack-1-sp1

Did you use autoupdate or download the update manually?

IIRC when I redid my Win 7 machine over a year ago, windows update was slow and buggy then...

Yeah I tried installing manually quite a long time ago but still the same result, so from then until now I just hoped Windows Update will have a miracle somehow lol

Btw, I did the System Update Readiness Tool thingy when I tried to do it manually and it said that there's no issue there, so... *shrug*

Check if you have enabled 4 services:

- background intelligent transfer service (BITS)

- windows update

- windows firewall

- security center

11 hours ago, KentLiew said:

Yeah I tried installing manually quite a long time ago but still the same result, so from then until now I just hoped Windows Update will have a miracle somehow lol

Btw, I did the System Update Readiness Tool thingy when I tried to do it manually and it said that there's no issue there, so... *shrug*

IIRC I had similar. You need to note the specific error code, and MS should have a repair utility/hotfix for that one error code.

On 26/07/2018 at 11:02 PM, TechyBen said:

IIRC I had similar. You need to note the specific error code, and MS should have a repair utility/hotfix for that one error code.

I already stated the error code in the main post, it's 800F0A13, which is basically impossible for me to fix it by myself and also why I came here looking for help. I've already looked at a lot of ways to "fix" it on the microsoft support forum thingy and nothing works.

On 29/07/2018 at 4:43 AM, TechyBen said:

Can you skip to SP3?

There's a SP3???

On 6/9/2018 at 11:42 PM, KentLiew said:

If you have the product key, MS does offer you an option to download the installation disk.  That is of course if you're open to the option to just taking off and nuking this computer from orbit. It's the only way to be sure. LOL

Seriously, if you're considering a re-install might try this web site and use your Windows 7 product key:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7

Installing SP1 was a nightmare in those days. A full blown re-install was much better, especially if this is an old install of the original Windows 7.

You can also give Microsoft tech support a shot if you really don't want to re-install and start from scratch.

If you're from North America: 1-800-936-5700

Chat: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contactus/

The chat option always starts with a robot before you get connected to an actual person.

CPU: Sempron 2500+ / P4 2.8E / P4 2.6C / A64 x2 4000+ / E6420 / E8500 / i5-3470 / i7-3770
GPU: TNT2 M64 / Radeon 9000 / MX 440-SE / 7300GT / Radeon 4670 / GTS 250 / Radeon 7950 / 660 Ti

On 12/08/2018 at 2:51 PM, grss1982 said:

If you have the product key, MS does offer you an option to download the installation disk.  That is of course if you're open to the option to just taking off and nuking this computer from orbit. It's the only way to be sure. LOL

Seriously, if you're considering a re-install might try this web site and use your Windows 7 product key:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7

What if I have an OEM product key?

On 8/16/2018 at 8:00 PM, KentLiew said:

What if I have an OEM product key?

You can't download with an OEM product key. And MS Support won't help you at all. Sorry. They'll tell you to contact your manufacturer.

However, if you have a buddy who has a retail Windows 7 disk or has a retail product key and has downloaded the ISO from the web site, you can use that OEM PK with that disk.  If it does not activate give Microsoft a call, they'll help you at that point.  I've personally used an OEM product key on the side of a Dell unit with an ISO from MS and it works fine when activating.

CPU: Sempron 2500+ / P4 2.8E / P4 2.6C / A64 x2 4000+ / E6420 / E8500 / i5-3470 / i7-3770
GPU: TNT2 M64 / Radeon 9000 / MX 440-SE / 7300GT / Radeon 4670 / GTS 250 / Radeon 7950 / 660 Ti