2 different GPUs in one system

Go to solution Solved by imreloadin,
2 minutes ago, Sultan_Fu said:

so it would be a driver issue ?
I'm new in hardware techs, but does it matter which one to connect with the monitor ?

I was just doing some googling and found this from: https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/928306/cuda-setup-and-installation/quadro-and-geforce-drivers-on-same-system/

Yes, it should be possible. You can only load one driver, so the driver you use must support both cards, which is certainly possible (since you have a maxwell quadro, I would choose a maxwell geforce card).

However, adding the extra graphics card may or may not actually resolve the problem. Your sluggishness may be due to a CPU loading effect, rather than a GPU loading effect.

Sooo the driver you choose to go with will have to support both cards that you use and then it should work per nVidia themselves.

Is it okay if I use different graphics cards in my one rendering-gaming work station?
lately I'm thinking of buying a graphics card that would improve my rendering performance on my workstation.

my current rig is

Intel i7 6700K

32GB DDR4 2400 Mhz HyperX Fury

ASUS Z-170A Motherboard

GTX 780 DC II OC 3GB

I use 3Ds Max for my main rendering engine, and launching RT rendering would save a lot of time in taking the right time to render the final shot, but unfortunately it wont work very well on my GTX 780 :/

so I decided to buy a Quadro card, Quadro P2000 in specific to improve my RT rendering performance, but would it be able to use them both the GTX and Quadro in the same rig?

and how could I control them to work on specific program " 3ds Max on Quadro & Games on GTX 780 "

1 minute ago, Sultan_Fu said:

Is it okay if I use different graphics cards in my one rendering-gaming work station?
lately I'm thinking of buying a graphics card that would improve my rendering performance on my workstation.

my current rig is

Intel i7 6700K

32GB DDR4 2400 Mhz HyperX Fury

ASUS Z-170A Motherboard

GTX 780 DC II OC 3GB

I use 3Ds Max for my main rendering engine, and launching RT rendering would save a lot of time in taking the right time to render the final shot, but unfortunately it wont work very well on my GTX 780 :/

so I decided to buy a Quadro card, Quadro P2000 in specific to improve my RT rendering performance, but would it be able to use them both the GTX and Quadro in the same rig?

and how could I control them to work on specific program " 3ds Max on Quadro & Games on GTX 780 "

I'm not sure how that would work since one uses nVidia's professional drivers and one uses the normal gaming ones.

I used both a GTX 1080 Ti and a GTX 970 in one system without any issues but they both used the same type of drivers.

6 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

I'm not sure how that would work since one uses nVidia's professional drivers and one uses the normal gaming ones.

I used both a GTX 1080 Ti and a GTX 970 in one system without any issues but they both used the same type of drivers.

I'm new in hardware techs, but does it matter which one to connect with the monitor ?

2 minutes ago, Sultan_Fu said:

I was just doing some googling and found this from: https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/928306/cuda-setup-and-installation/quadro-and-geforce-drivers-on-same-system/

Yes, it should be possible. You can only load one driver, so the driver you use must support both cards, which is certainly possible (since you have a maxwell quadro, I would choose a maxwell geforce card).

However, adding the extra graphics card may or may not actually resolve the problem. Your sluggishness may be due to a CPU loading effect, rather than a GPU loading effect.

Sooo the driver you choose to go with will have to support both cards that you use and then it should work per nVidia themselves.

45 minutes ago, Sultan_Fu said:

If you want to keep using the 780 for gaming, you must keep your monitor connected to it.  With rendering (not my specialty) but I think most programs shouldn't require the P2000 being the video-out.

2 hours ago, LogicWeasel said:

If you want to keep using the 780 for gaming, you must keep your monitor connected to it.  With rendering (not my specialty) but I think most programs shouldn't require the P2000 being the video-out.

Thanks for your informations