Ethernet run nonfunctional

RollTime
Go to solution Solved by BlueChinchillaEatingDorito,

Do you have a laptop with an Ethernet port so you can literally check every part of the link?

So this is one of the strangest issues I've had over my years of screwing around with technology.

Basically, my ethernet run is not working. I did it myself a few months ago and it goes like this:

Router -> hole in my wall -> outdoor male-to-male cable -> female-to-female wall plate -> another cable -> switch -> another cable -> my PC.

I did it with premade cables because I don't have a crimping tool and I was also worried I'd screw something up.

I have checked all the connections (I even unscrewed the wall plate) and visually inspected all the cables. Everything is connected and no cables are visibly damaged. 

I think it has something to do with my outdoor cable as the router itself reports no connection, as does the switch. I hope there's something obvious I'm missing here as I'd rather not do another run with new cables.

Thanks everyone!

it's time

2 minutes ago, RollTime said:

So this is one of the strangest issues I've had over my years of screwing around with technology.

Basically, my ethernet run is not working. I did it myself a few months ago and it goes like this:

Router -> hole in my wall -> outdoor male-to-male cable -> female-to-female wall plate -> another cable -> switch -> another cable -> my PC.

I did it with premade cables because I don't have a crimping tool and I was also worried I'd screw something up.

I have checked all the connections (I even unscrewed the wall plate) and visually inspected all the cables. Everything is connected and no cables are visibly damaged. 

I think it has something to do with my outdoor cable as the router itself reports no connection, as does the switch. I hope there's something obvious I'm missing here as I'd rather not do another run with new cables.

Thanks everyone!

Sorry, this sounds like a bad cable to me.

Things you can check,

1) does your switch see your pc? (i.e., if you ping from your pc out do you see activity on that port of the switch?)

2) if 1) is okay then check at the wall plate - that is plug another device in there and do the same ping test to see if you get activity on the port.

3) if 2) is okay then go out unplug the outside cable and pug in a short cable and another short cable to the back side of the f/f wall plate if that doesn't work it's the wall plate, if it does then it's the m/m cable - probably.

Do you have a laptop with an Ethernet port so you can literally check every part of the link?

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

45 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Yeah, I was hoping I wouldn't have to.... Oh well. Thanks,

it's time

46 minutes ago, AncientNerd said:

Sorry, this sounds like a bad cable to me.

Things you can check,

1) does your switch see your pc? (i.e., if you ping from your pc out do you see activity on that port of the switch?)

2) if 1) is okay then check at the wall plate - that is plug another device in there and do the same ping test to see if you get activity on the port.

3) if 2) is okay then go out unplug the outside cable and pug in a short cable and another short cable to the back side of the f/f wall plate if that doesn't work it's the wall plate, if it does then it's the m/m cable - probably.

I'll check all that, thanks.

The PC doesn't think it's even plugged in. 

it's time

21 minutes ago, RollTime said:

I'll check all that, thanks.

The PC doesn't think it's even plugged in. 

Yea, if you ping something other than localhost  (even your own real IP) you should see traffic on the switch port that you are plugged into and on the port of your computer. If not you may have more wrong than the cables - if you have something with a physical Ethernet port try plugging it in to the switch and see if you get lights on that one. It could be that the port on your computer is bad.

17 minutes ago, Christophe Corazza said:

Just a quick question: are you staying below the ehternet cable limit?

Otherwise it might simply be that one of your 3 cables is bad. 

2 hours ago, Christophe Corazza said:

Just a quick question: are you staying below the ehternet cable limit?

2 hours ago, AncientNerd said:

Yea, if you ping something other than localhost  (even your own real IP) you should see traffic on the switch port that you are plugged into and on the port of your computer. If not you may have more wrong than the cables - if you have something with a physical Ethernet port try plugging it in to the switch and see if you get lights on that one. It could be that the port on your computer is bad.

3 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Thanks to everyone who helped. I checked everything and the wall plate was the issue. Appreciate all the help!

it's time

14 hours ago, RollTime said:

Thanks to everyone who helped. I checked everything and the wall plate was the issue. Appreciate all the help!

Bad connection inside the wall plate?

2 hours ago, Christophe Corazza said:

Bad connectoin inside the wall plate?

I guess so.

it's time