PC is underperforming

Hello guys, i've recently built a new gaming PC and i have noticed that it underperforms in some games. From my understanding this happens mostly in titles that are not so GPU intensive (LoL, CSGO, War Thunder). What happens is that the GPU is not utilized to its full potential and the framerate is much lower than expected. One thing i have recently noticed in Far Cry 5 is that when i am in a crowded area the FPS is lower as expected, but the GPU is quieter and cooler, while if i go in remote areas where the FPS goes much higher, the GPU is very loud and very hot. I am not sure what might cause this, because i am sure i am supposed to get much higher framerates on LoL, CSGO and War Thunder. Thanks in advance! Here are my full specs:

GPU: GTX 970 SSC EVGA

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 stock

MOBO: MSI B350 PC Mate

SSD: PNY CS900 240GB

Storage: 1TB Western Digital Blue

PSU: Corsair Vengeance 550M

Memory: 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 Mhz

Case: Phanteks P400 TG

The ram is the cheapest you could've gotten. Ryzen likes fast speeds like 3000MHz. I don't see a bottleneck with your parts.

hi.

5 minutes ago, AskTJ said:

The ram is the cheapest you could've gotten. Ryzen likes fast speeds like 3000MHz. I don't see a bottleneck with your parts.

Well pricing is outrageous right now that is why i chose that. You think the RAM alone could cause the GPU to not get utilized?

2 minutes ago, Wyndmere said:

Well pricing is outrageous right now that is why i chose that. You think the RAM alone could cause the GPU to not get utilized?

I doubt it. Look for benchmarks that are the same as yours, and compare them. How much video memory does your card have, and what graphic settings do you play on in your games?

hi.

Also, make sure your graphics drivers are all up to date. If that isn't the issue, I am not sure what is.

hi.

1 minute ago, AskTJ said:

I doubt it. Look for benchmarks that are the same as yours, and compare them. How much video memory does your card have, and what graphic settings do you play on in your games?

I get the same results as in benchmarks with a lot of games, while i get abyssmal results in others, such as LoL and CSGO in particular where the GPU is not used that much. The GTX 970 has 3.5GB of usable VRAM. I have tried different settings, but if i lower the settings on CSGO and LoL for example the FPS does not go up, instead the GPU clock goes down.

3 minutes ago, AskTJ said:

Also, make sure your graphics drivers are all up to date. If that isn't the issue, I am not sure what is.

Yep latest drivers.

14 minutes ago, Wyndmere said:

I get the same results as in benchmarks with a lot of games, while i get abyssmal results in others, such as LoL and CSGO in particular where the GPU is not used that much. The GTX 970 has 3.5GB of usable VRAM. I have tried different settings, but if i lower the settings on CSGO and LoL for example the FPS does not go up, instead the GPU clock goes down.

Interesting. Sounds like it may be thermal throttling. Use AIDA64 and put your system under stress, and check if it throttles. What this means is it slows down the clockspeed to lower temperatures so it doesn't overheat.

hi.

1 minute ago, AskTJ said:

Interesting. Sounds like it may be thermal throttling. Use AIDA64 and put your system under stress, and check if it throttles. What this means is it slows down the clockspeed to lower temperatures so it doesn't overheat.

CPU temps are around 40-50 degress celsius under gaming load. GPU around 80 degrees, but i monitor the clock and it does not drop. It is not throttling, it just does not bother to put any stress on the GPU. In LoL it does not even consider it as a game, the GPU clock is wayy lower than a gaming clock load and temps are around 55 degrees celsius

The R5 1600 isn't the right CPU for running very high FPS in CSGO and similar titles since CSGO especially only cares about IPC and utilizes maybe 2-4 threads in total. The GPU won't ever hit 100% unless you switch to 4K resolution. Your low speed RAM also costs you 10-15% performance on the CPU front as well as AMD's infinity fabric benefits greatly from 3000-3200MHz memory (which honestly isn't much more expensive than your LPX 2133 kit). 

The behavior in FC5 seems about right. That game is the toughest to run game currently out.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

3 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

The R5 1600 isn't the right CPU for running very high FPS in CSGO and similar titles since CSGO especially only cares about IPC and utilizes maybe 2-4 threads in total. The GPU won't ever hit 100% unless you switch to 4K resolution. Your low speed RAM also costs you 10-15% performance on the CPU front as well as AMD's infinity fabric benefits greatly from 3000-3200MHz memory (which honestly isn't much more expensive than your LPX 2133 kit). 

The behavior in FC5 seems about right. That game is the toughest to run game currently out.

I get 110 fps tops in LoL and CSGO, from what i've seen i should he able to get 200+. It is too drastic to be just IPC and RAM.

12 minutes ago, Wyndmere said:

I get 110 fps tops in LoL and CSGO, from what i've seen i should he able to get 200+. It is too drastic to be just IPC and RAM.

CSGO has a bug with Ryzen atm, so until Valve fixes it, you're probably SOL. Plus, tbh, 110fps is enough for CSGO lol.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

4 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

CSGO has a bug with Ryzen atm, so until Valve fixes it, you're probably SOL. Plus, tbh, 110fps is enough for CSGO lol.

Not when u have a 144hz monitor :D

9 minutes ago, Wyndmere said:

Not when u have a 144hz monitor :D

Who buys Ryzen for 144Hz 1080p gaming then? It's common knowledge that that's a bad buy :P 

2 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Who buys Ryzen for 144Hz 1080p gaming then? It's common knowledge that that's a bad buy :P 

That is correct if i had bought the monitor first. Anyway ryzen is decent for 144 hz gaming from what i've seen from benchmarks, just my pc acting up

2 minutes ago, Wyndmere said:

That is correct if i had bought the monitor first. Anyway ryzen is decent for 144 hz gaming from what i've seen from benchmarks, just my pc acting up

It's great when overclocking the CPU and memory, yes. But at stock speeds, especially Ryzen 1 is rather lackluster for high refresh rate gaming. The 2600X is much faster in that regard.