do you lose any of the audio when converting dts hd ma 7.1 or dts 5.1 to stereo aac?

Feedback
4 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

It depends if the downmixer combines the audio channels or simply drops them.

i use xmedia recode.

sometimes i use handbrake

Just now, Omnitrix10 said:

i use xmedia recode.

Why are you reencoding to remove the surround info?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

3 minutes ago, Omnitrix10 said:

i use xmedia recode.

I guess the only way to determine this if you can't find any documentation is to find a snippet where you know surround sound is at its best and see if you still hear everything or if some things feel like they're missing.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Why are you reencoding to remove the surround info?

i only have stereo headphones

3 minutes ago, Omnitrix10 said:

i only have stereo headphones

I would recommend either watching in a player that downmixes live so you don't have to alter your files, or better yet ,use a player that can do some audio trickery to make it sound like proper surround so you don't need to give up anything.

4 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I guess the only way to determine this if you can't find any documentation is to find a snippet where you know surround sound is at its best and see if you still hear everything or if some things feel like they're missing.

This file is great for that.  It just speaks the channel name once in each channel, so if one goes missing you'll know with no guesswork

5.1 ch test.wav

After testing with MPC-HC, I can hear all of them on my headphones so I think it does what OP needs.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

4 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I would recommend either watching in a player that downmixes live so you don't have to alter your files, or better yet ,use a player that can do some audio trickery to make it sound like proper surround so you don't need to give up anything.

This file is great for that.  It just speaks the channel name once in each channel, so if one goes missing you'll know with no guesswork

5.1 ch test.wav

After testing with MPC-HC, I can hear all of them on my headphones so I think it does what OP needs.

the link to that file  does not work

Just now, Omnitrix10 said:

the link to that file  does not work

That's odd, works for me... and I made sure it's actually embedded on the site and not just a link to C:\my file :P

maybe just try this https://www2.iis.fraunhofer.de/AAC/multichannel.html