CPU Temp average?

Hello Guys,

I just built a new rig. 

The specs are :

1) CPU : Ryzen 7 2700x 8 Core 16 Thread

2) GPU: Gigabyte 1070ti

3) RAM : 16 GB

The problem is that whenever i try to run something, the temperature of the CPU rises to almost 78 degrees Celsius but remains around 37-42 degrees Celsius when idle, also FYI I am using a stock fan on it.

also, i have 3 intake fans and 2 exhaust fans. One of the exhaust fan does not work when the gpu is plugged in but as soon as i unplug the gpu, it starts to run. 

Any suggestions on what is going on in my case and what should i do?

Thanks

This is normal behavior. XFR and precision boost will crank up the speeds and voltages as long as the CPU doesn't throttle so it'll kick into hyperdrive whenever it can.

The only solution is setting the clock speed manually. I run my 2700X at 4GHz all the time at a set 1.25v and it maxes around 70c with all fans set to slow in a case full of noise dampening material.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

2 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

i'm not sure i understand. 

Sorry mate,
My mistake, i have edited it. Take a look

Totaly normal behavior and nothing to worry about. 

7 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

This is normal behavior. XFR and precision boost will crank up the speeds and voltages as long as the CPU doesn't throttle so it'll kick into hyperdrive whenever it can.

The only solution is setting the clock speed manually. I run my 2700X at 4GHz all the time at a set 1.25v and it maxes around 70c with all fans set to slow in a case full of noise dampening material.

do you use 4ghz(4000mhz) for all 8 cores? or have you disabled it? also, what is the temp on the CPU while gaming with your settings? 
Noob here so it is my first time controlling everything so bear with me if i ask silly and stupid questions

8 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Totaly normal behavior and nothing to worry about. 

What about the exhaust fan not working while the GPU is plugged in? Will the fan work automatically if the temp rises? 
pls bear with me and my silly questions

Just now, muttsang said:

What about the exhaust fan not working while the GPU is plugged in? Will the fan work automatically if the temp rises? 
pls bear with me and my silly questions

Oh, didnt notice that. Srry. Check bios if the fan is detected. Possibly change the fan-header. 

2 minutes ago, muttsang said:

do you use 4ghz(4000mhz) for all 8 cores? or have you disabled it? also, what is the temp on the CPU while gaming with your settings? 
Noob here so it is my first time controlling everything so bear with me if i ask silly and stupid questions

Yes, I have all cores set to 4GHz. My chip will do 4.1 at the same voltage, but I was troubleshooting some memory stability so I never put it back. I get max 70c in gaming with almost 30c ambient, mind you, I don't use the stock cooler anymore as that thing sounds like a lawn mower.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

Just now, NelizMastr said:

Yes, I have all cores set to 4GHz. My chip will do 4.1 at the same voltage, but I was troubleshooting some memory stability so I never put it back. I get max 70c in gaming with almost 30c ambient, mind you, I don't use the stock cooler anymore as that thing sounds like a lawn mower.

I just did applied and tested the settings you had used . Turned the Core speed to 3800mhz and voltage to 1.25. 
While it was running the stress test, it just shut down :( .
I will the unexpected shut down damage the components? 
and what do i do?

3 minutes ago, muttsang said:

I just did applied and tested the settings you had used . Turned the Core speed to 3800mhz and voltage to 1.25. 
While it was running the stress test, it just shut down :( .
I will the unexpected shut down damage the components? 
and what do i do?

Every chip is different, my settings might not work for you. Also make sure your CPU doesn't still turbo all the way up.

what psu are you running.  What motherboard and did you previously have an overclock or just stock.

1 minute ago, Praxis727 said:

what psu are you running.  What motherboard and did you previously have an overclock or just stock.

the psu is corsair TX750M and the motherboard is Gigabyte X470 Aorus. 
Are you talking about the CPU? I just took it out yesterday and built the whole thing yesterday.

5 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Every chip is different, my settings might not work for you. Also make sure your CPU doesn't still turbo all the way up.

okay. I will keep that in mind. 
Will the unexpected shutdowns damage the parts in any way?

The idle and load temps seem pretty high.  I am wondering about heat transference.  Should be somewhere around 31 -32 idle and shouldn't break 70 under load.

5 minutes ago, muttsang said:

okay. I will keep that in mind. 
Will the unexpected shutdowns damage the parts in any way?

No it won't, in fact it shutting down is it protecting itself, you should jsut be able to start it up again. In case you can't, just take out the CMOS battery for a couple of mins and put it back in to reset to stock settings.

2 minutes ago, Praxis727 said:

The idle and load temps seem pretty high.  I am wondering about heat transference.  Should be somewhere around 31 -32 idle and shouldn't break 70 under load.

so any suggestions? Should i try anything? or should i just take it to a computer repair shop and have the pros to look at it? :| I don't wanna do anything that could damage the build i just made 10 hours ago. 

2 minutes ago, monjessenstein said:

No it won't, in fact it shutting down is it protecting itself, you should jsut be able to start it up again. In case you can't, just take out the CMOS battery for a couple of mins and put it back in to reset to stock settings.

aah. phew! 
I am relieved! 

I would reapply thermal paste  and make sure my cooler is on properly all the way.  Might be  but doesn't hurt to check.  I would also plug the exhaust fan that stops when you plug the gpu in and try it on another fan pin.  Make sure your fans aren't fighting each other.  In one set out the other.  Try those things and get back to us.

5 minutes ago, Praxis727 said:

I would reapply thermal paste  and make sure my cooler is on properly all the way.  Might be  but doesn't hurt to check.  I would also plug the exhaust fan that stops when you plug the gpu in and try it on another fan pin.  Make sure your fans aren't fighting each other.  In one set out the other.  Try those things and get back to us.

Okay. Will do! 

3 hours ago, Praxis727 said:

Hi. 
I opened up the case and checked the fan which was not moving. Turns out the fan itself had friction within it's fan blades. It ran the second time but could hear the resistance in the fan blades. (gonna replace it). 
As for the CPU, i did not fully opened it, but as i was trying to open the CPU fan, i noticed that the latch for the stock cooler was not fastened and was loose. So i did not open the CPU cooler fan but instead fastened it. 
Now it runs at 32-35 degrees Celsius when in idle. and did not shut down (reached 59 degree Celsius) when i ran the stress test (the same as the one i had mentioned above in the past comments)That temperature is good right?

That is a great temperature.  I knew something was off.  I figured bad seating or to much paste.  no cpu that isn't overclocked should be that high at idle lmao.  I am glad your problem is solved.  Now to get some games on there and push it to the limit.