Is this a good build?

I've now ordered my parts.

Is this a good first build for gaming and all that jazz, anything wrong with it etc.?

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/bxWHGG

If there is something you'd recommend changing then please note that I am looking to keep the total cost in the region of £750.

Do not get only 8 gigs, go for 16 gigs, it will improve your performance a lot, and Correct me if I’m wrong but do you need the windows 10pro, it’s pretty similar and won’t give you that big of an advantage, and if you can fit a better motherboard in your budget, that will probably be good. You could use the money you save from not buying windows 10 pro and instead buying windows 10 home and using the extra money to buy a better motherboard

Just now, Totally Not Woojin said:

Do not get only 8 gigs, go for 16 gigs, it will improve your performance a lot, and Correct me if I’m wrong but do you need the windows 10pro, it’s pretty similar and won’t give you that big of an advantage, and if you can fit a better motherboard in your budget, that will probably be good. You could use the money you save from not buying windows 10 pro and instead buying windows 10 home and using the extra money for a better motherboard. Give me your budget and I’ll help out as much as possible

My budget is £760.

I was planning on buying a windows key, hence why I listed it on the pcpartpicker as £4, and pro and home keys are basically the same price. I'll go for windows 10 home, although it will cost almost the exact same for a key. I could switch out the motherboard for an Asus Prime B350-PLUS AMD DDR4 S-ATA 600 ATX Motherboard - Black as recommended by the user above.

1 minute ago, valdyrgramr said:

OEM keys like that are technically illegal and against the ToS, but MS doesn't enforce it either leaving it as a grey area.

If you plan to OC at all I'd highly suggest an ASUS one as mentioned.  If you wanna cheap out I'd suggest ASRock out of the cheaper ones, not ASUS, but they have a really low failure rate compared to Gigabyte and MSI.  I am not really a fan of MSI because their customer service is as bad as their quality control.  As for RAM dual channel is better, and the problem they meant is a bit correct and incorrect.  There are a lot of poorly optimized AAA titles that overuse on resources.  One of the newer TR games, for example, uses up to 12 gigs.  But, if you're playing far more optimized titles like Doom or Destiny 2 you won't really see this.  You'd be fine with the single 8 stick for now if you plan to get a second one down the road.

I shall go ahead and switch out the motherboard to that Asus one you recommended, thanks for the suggestion! I do plan on getting another 8gb stick at some point in the future, I just wouldn't be able to afford it right now.

The SSD is pretty bad. The MX500 for £3 would be a better choice. 

There's a 1060 6GB for £10 cheaper. The 1060 is such a low power card that the versions don't really matter. 

The PSU is ancient and lacks protections. The Pure Power 10 400W is a good budget choice. The next step up would be the Formula 450W. Then there's a few options at ~£80. 400W is plenty for an overclocked GTX 1080 system, so don't worry about the wattage. 

:)

Just now, valdyrgramr said:

That and there's really no bad version of a pascal card in terms of general performance outside of design flaw ones.  But, I think that's more in the 1070 and 1080 area.  Like where ASUS messed up on that one strix cooler they admitted to.

I mean, there's the MSI Armor 1080 Ti. Good PCB, but a bad cooler. I think the Zotac mini cards also lacked some filtering for the power delivery side. And Zotac also have some huge coolers that don't actually perform well at all. But yeah, Pascal cards are mostly fine, when I think about it. Not like with Polaris. 

8 minutes ago, brob said:

Corsair CX450M (2015) would be more than fine.

13 minutes ago, seon123 said:

The SSD is pretty bad. The MX500 for £3 would be a better choice. 

There's a 1060 6GB for £10 cheaper. The 1060 is such a low power card that the versions don't really matter. 

The PSU is ancient and lacks protections. The Pure Power 10 400W is a good budget choice. The next step up would be the Formula 450W. Then there's a few options at ~£80. 400W is plenty for an overclocked GTX 1080 system, so don't worry about the wattage. 

I've switched to an MX500 SSD, the slightly cheaper GPU and a CX450M PSU.

Thanks for the recommendations!

1 minute ago, JamesAnderson said:

I've switched to an MX500 SSD, the slightly cheaper GPU and a CX450M PSU.

Thanks for the recommendations!

The Pure Power 10 is better than the CXM, imo. Quieter, better fan, multi rail and slightly cheaper.

One downside is the slightly lower wattage, however you aren't likely to have a build that draws too much for the Pure Power 10, but that can be run on the CXM. And it has a 3 year warranty, Vs 5 on the CXM. 

2 minutes ago, seon123 said:

The Pure Power 10 is better than the CXM, imo. Quieter, better fan, multi rail and slightly cheaper.

One downside is the slightly lower wattage, however you aren't likely to have a build that draws too much for the Pure Power 10, but that can be run on the CXM. And it has a 3 year warranty, Vs 5 on the CXM. 

Alright, I'll go with it, what's the difference between the pure power 10 CM series and non CM series?

3 minutes ago, JamesAnderson said:

Alright, I'll go with it, what's the difference between the pure power 10 CM series and non CM series?

Semi modular Vs not semi modular. Think the rest is the same. 

2 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Semi modular Vs not semi modular. Think the rest is the same. 

Thanks a lot for the help!

I think I'm going to go ahead and order all the parts in the next hour.

On 6/1/2018 at 9:37 PM, JamesAnderson said:

I've now ordered my parts.

Is this a good first build for gaming and all that jazz, anything wrong with it etc.?

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/bxWHGG

If there is something you'd recommend changing then please note that I am looking to keep the total cost in the region of £750.

I know you state that you have ordered the parts, but I would suggest faster Ram (3000MHz - 3200MHz) as it makes a difference on Ryzen. Would also go 2 x 4GB for dual channel as you can still add an extra 8GB later on as the board has 4 DIMM slots.

Imo it is better to fork out on a more reputable graphics card manufacturer like ASUS or EVGA. It has a lot better quality VRMs and are more reliable on the long term.

• CPU
    I5-8400
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte B360 ds3h
  • RAM
    2*8gb Vengence 2400 ddr4
  • GPU
    ASUS gtx 1060
  • Case
    Fractal define c mini windowed
  • Storage
    1tb WD blue and 240gb sandisk ssd
  • PSU
    550w bronze corsair cxm (grey)
  • Operating System
    windows 10

33 minutes ago, Ulta said:

Imo it is better to fork out on a more reputable graphics card manufacturer like ASUS or EVGA. It has a lot better quality VRMs and are more reliable on the long term.

All companies can sell crap, and with the 1060, the VRMs will all be equally low end. It doesn't matter if they put a doubled 8 phase VRM with 60A MOSFETs, because it's a mid range 120W card. 

On 02/06/2018 at 10:39 PM, Ulta said:

I didn't buy one from the manufacturer listed there, I ended up buying a 1060 from MSI in the end.