I need help planning my next upgrade

Go to solution Solved by Husky,

You may get quite an improvement when upgrading your CPU to an i7, but I would check other things first. Check if there are any miners or other malware on your PC. Update GPU drivers. Try overclocking your CPU. Faster RAM may help a little bit because 2133MHz is quite slow, but I am not sure if RAM speed affects Intel as much as it affects AMD Ryzen CPUs. Try updating network drivers, especially if you use a non-Intel NIC, as sometimes these NICs offload processing onto the CPU, which Intel NICs usually have processors onboard that do most of the heavy work.

A 6600K doesn't seem like it should bottleneck too bad at all, but if you determine that it is causing your low FPS issues, then I would just throw a 7700K in and call it a day. Maybe a Coffee Lake CPU if you have more to spend but then you need a new motherboard.

Hey everyone! I've been noticing that I am getting a lot less FPS than I am used to (i have a 144hz monitor) in some titles (BF1 and Fortnite in busy areas mainly) and I think I may be bottlenecking my GPU. I have a gtx 1080 and I may have paired it with a subpar CPU (everyone told me an i5 6600k would be fine, but I think I am encountering some issues in games with larger player counts). Would it make sense for me to pop in a 7700k ? or am I better to just scrap the mobo too and jump to the newer intel series mobos for the additional 2 cores? 

The reason I ask if its the CPU is because a buddy of mine is actually getting much higher fps in these specific titles than I am with a lower end gpu. 

Thanks in advance :)

My current rig is: 

GTX 1080

144hz monitor (1080p)

16gb ddr4 2133 ram

650 watt psu gold

1tb ssd 

1tb hdd 

- Chris

yes, the 6600k will choke in games with a 1080.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

that cpu should not be bottleknecking(@1080p) I dont think an upgrade will do much, hes prob has specific settings turned down

battlefield 1 can take advantage of more cores so it could be considered a bottleneck, since u have a 144hz monitor reaching 144 might be difficult with the 6600k

In multiplayer games with large player counts the cpu is hit quite hard. The 6600k likely can't keep up with the 1080 in large player count games. You probably get much better fps in single player for bf1 which really shows this. 

You may get quite an improvement when upgrading your CPU to an i7, but I would check other things first. Check if there are any miners or other malware on your PC. Update GPU drivers. Try overclocking your CPU. Faster RAM may help a little bit because 2133MHz is quite slow, but I am not sure if RAM speed affects Intel as much as it affects AMD Ryzen CPUs. Try updating network drivers, especially if you use a non-Intel NIC, as sometimes these NICs offload processing onto the CPU, which Intel NICs usually have processors onboard that do most of the heavy work.

A 6600K doesn't seem like it should bottleneck too bad at all, but if you determine that it is causing your low FPS issues, then I would just throw a 7700K in and call it a day. Maybe a Coffee Lake CPU if you have more to spend but then you need a new motherboard.

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM

Also operating system might have gathered some crud during years which is starting to slow your PC now.