Cooler for Overclocking Ryzen 5 1500x

dunseN

Hey LTT world any suggests for a good cooler, aio or air for a ryzen 5 1500x, looking to get around 4.1-4.2 ghz out of the chip. budget $10-$50 USD

3 minutes ago, dunseN said:

Hey LTT world any suggests for a good cooler, aio or air for a ryzen 5 1500x, looking to get around 4.1-4.2 ghz out of the chip. budget $10-$50 USD

If you are trying to hit 4.1 to 4.2 on a 1500x then you are going to have to get really lucky. Most ryzen 1 cpus had a hard cap at 4.0 where voltage required to go any faster ran away. 

2 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

If you are trying to hit 4.1 to 4.2 on a 1500x then you are going to have to get really lucky. Most ryzen 1 cpus had a hard cap at 4.0 where voltage required to go any faster ran away. 

It's not even a voltage issue, some people can hit 4ghz at 1.3, but then cant go to even 4.05 when at 1.45 volts. It's more an architectural limit and a limit in the 14nm process used itself.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

6 minutes ago, dunseN said:

ryzen 5 1500x

looking to get around 4.1-4.2 ghz out of the chip

budget $10-$50 USD

One of these will have to give; all three isn't possible.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

20 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

It's not even a voltage issue, some people can hit 4ghz at 1.3, but then cant go to even 4.05 when at 1.45 volts. It's more an architectural limit and a limit in the 14nm process used itself.

That is exactly what I said. After 4.0 the voltage runs away meaning the requirement is so high that it isn't feasible.

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

That is exactly what I said. After 4.0 the voltage runs away meaning the requirement is so high that it isn't feasible.

Yeah but i'm saying its not the voltage "running away" that makes it hard to OC past 4ghz, its the architectural limits/14nm process limits that make only very few 1st gens able to go past 4.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

Just now, RKRiley said:

Yeah but i'm saying its not the voltage "running away" that makes it hard to OC past 4ghz, its the architectural limits/14nm process limits that make only very few 1st gens able to go past 4.

The architecture causes the voltage to run away making going past 4.0 ghz very hard and up to silicon lottery. I mean I said that voltage running away is why it can't reach past 4.0 and you say it's the architecture. We are essentially saying the same thing. Voltage running away at 4.0 is cause by the architecture and a hard limit at 4.0 is caused by the voltage running away. It would be similar to me saying this person died from multiple gun shot wounds and then you saying that no they died because they got in a shootout with some bad people. 

• 4 months later...

Hey,

I was looking for info on overclocking my Ryzen 5 1500X and came across this thread.

If you guys are still interested - I've been able to overclock my 1500X to 4.1ghz pretty easily using the Arctic Freezer 33 eSports edition cooler and 1.375 volts. I would definitely recommend this cooler to anyone looking for good performance without a huge price tag. Here in the UK it was only about £35 from Amazon.

Not sure how much further beyond 4.1ghz it will go because I haven't pushed it yet, but 4.1ghz is definitely stable for me on this cooler. I've used some Cinebench runs and Aida64 stress tests to make sure.

22 hours ago, DezGalbie said:

If you guys are still interested - I've been able to overclock my 1500X to 4.1ghz pretty easily using the Arctic Freezer 33 eSports edition cooler and 1.375 volts.

Consider yourself lucky I guess.

On 5/31/2018 at 1:39 AM, dunseN said:

As others have said, don't expect to get anything above 4GHz. I stopped there, as the voltage was getting pretty high and couldn't exactly fully stabilize the machine. Was getting good stability in stress tests, except I would sometimes find my machine rebooted after some hours, even if it was left unattended and idling. You can see my full system spec in the sig, as well as the CPU-Z log at the bottom, together with temps and everything. Max temp I've seen was 69°C (noice) in Prime95 stressing, so for all I care, the cooling performance of the H60 is fine. My only problem with it is that its pump is particularly loud and that's a great annoyance for me, so I wouldn't recommend this AIO if you're particularly sensitive to the noise level. My point though, is that you can get pretty much any respectable performance cooler starting at around $50, and it will do a good job, but just don't expect that you will actually be able to take that CPU over 4GHz, regardless what cooling solution you use.

Good luck!

MOBO: MSI Krait Gaming X370 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1500X [4GHz @1.43V] | RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 2x8GB 2133MHz [2933MHz CAS 16]

GPU: ASUS GTX1060 6GB DUAL Series | SSD: HyperX Fury 120GB | HDD: WD Blue 1TB

CASE: Thermaltake Suppressor F51 | PSU: Corsair VS550 | COOLING: Corsair H60 [70°C Max @1400rpm] | DISPLAY: LG 29" Ultra Wide, BenQ 1080p Projector

MOUSE: Trust GXT31 MOUSE MAT: HyperX Fury | KEYBOARD: Logitech G510s | UNDERWEAR: HyperX

SOUND: Creative Sound Blaster Omni 5.1 | HEADSET: HyperX Core Cloud | SPEAKERS: Behringer MS16, SONY HT-RT3

CPU-Z Validator: DUCKPC