Wifi cards?

VampishAxis49

I have a cheap ($20) wifi card and I cant play any games online I constantly lag and its unplayable. I cant run a ethernet cable down stairs. I was wondering if upgrading my wifi card to a more expensive card (40 or even a 75 dollar one if necessary) Would help my wifi speed in games. Any help will be highly appreciated!

Current card: https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-TL-WN881ND-Wireless-network-Adapter/dp/B0079XWMEI/ref=pd_sim_147_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0079XWMEI&pd_rd_r=W59ASRF5NKR092JZ26R8&pd_rd_w=Fz8m6&pd_rd_wg=wwQh9&psc=1&refRID=W59ASRF5NKR092JZ26R8

New card that im looking at: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016K0896K/ref=emc_b_5_t?th=1

What router do you have? Are it's antennae angled at all? How many wifi networks are there around you? What is your house made out of?

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

Just now, sazrocks said:

What router do you have? Are it's antennae angled at all? How many wifi networks are there around you? What is your house made out of?

Im not sure what router I have and yes the atennaes are angles. one networks is running. and as for hows material just wood drywall and insolation?

Personaly I use a Fenvi FV8802. I have had no problem with it, and it is only 30 bucks. Even with my sub par wifi, I am able to play fortnite with absolutely no lag. ( actually usually 58 but its been on sale for a while now)

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIADXZ65X1977&cm_re=Fenvi_wifi_card-_-9SIADXZ65X1977-_-Product

Just now, VampishAxis49 said:

Im not sure what router I have and yes the atennaes are angles. one networks is running. and as for hows material just wood drywall and insolation?

You need to know what kind of router you have. B, G, N, AC? Because if you buy an AC card but only have a B router, then your network works at the B standard. Each new WiFi standard has done a lot to increase speeds and range to an extent. With WiFi there is no certainty. You might get a better adapter and have a better experience or you might not.  You can also look in to Power line adapters which most likely have slower speeds but be more reliable and have lower ping. Or Moca adapters, witch are more reliable, fast but they do offer from higher ping, not sure how high, it could be lower than wireless. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

13 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

You need to know what kind of router you have. B, G, N, AC? Because if you buy an AC card but only have a B router, then your network works at the B standard. Each new WiFi standard has done a lot to increase speeds and range to an extent. With WiFi there is no certainty. You might get a better adapter and have a better experience or you might not.  You can also look in to Power line adapters which most likely have slower speeds but be more reliable and have lower ping. Or Moca adapters, witch are more reliable, fast but they do offer from higher ping, not sure how high, it could be lower than wireless. 

Okay I looked it up its a Linksys EA6900 AC1900 Smart Wi-Fi Dual-Band Router

16 minutes ago, VampishAxis49 said:

Okay I looked it up its a Linksys EA6900 AC1900 Smart Wi-Fi Dual-Band Router

Then about any AC1900 card should work. TP Link makes good cards, Asus has a few nice ones with antennas that are connected via a wire, which gives you more flexibility of where to put the antennas for reception. When you get a card, make sure you connect to your 5 Ghz band, as that will give you the best speeds and less interference with other stuff. Thats assuming your in range of 5 Ghz. 

14 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Then about any AC1900 card should work. TP Link makes good cards, Asus has a few nice ones with antennas that are connected via a wire, which gives you more flexibility of where to put the antennas for reception. When you get a card, make sure you connect to your 5 Ghz band, as that will give you the best speeds and less interference with other stuff. Thats assuming your in range of 5 Ghz. 

Can i use a ac1300 card and still run fast wifi?

1 minute ago, VampishAxis49 said:

Can i use a ac1300 card and still run fast wifi?

It runs at the lower standard. So if you connect a wireless G card to Wireless B router it runs at B Speeds. So you will be locked to the AC 1300 speeds. Remember that, that number is the combination of 2.4 and 5 Ghz. So to get the fastest speed you will need to use 5 Ghz, what ever that speed may be. 

You dont need a new wifi card , you need a "plc" (how we call here in spain) , it carries your internet conection from one electric plug to another (copper electric line) , its far better than wifi (like 80%-90% cable speed) 

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Powerline-ethernet-Adapter-TL-PA4010KIT/dp/B00AWRUICG

1 next to the router (pluged to the router)
1 to your computer .

I wasted 40 bucks on an antena 70 on a signal repeater and that sucks , now buying 50 bucks plz and gg wp you got ethernet on your pc and wifi on the other side of the house ^^ 

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

3 hours ago, Peskanova said:

You dont need a new wifi card , you need a "plc" (how we call here in spain) , it carries your internet conection from one electric plug to another (copper electric line) , its far better than wifi (like 80%-90% cable speed) 

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Powerline-ethernet-Adapter-TL-PA4010KIT/dp/B00AWRUICG

1 next to the router (pluged to the router)
1 to your computer .

I wasted 40 bucks on an antena 70 on a signal repeater and that sucks , now buying 50 bucks plz and gg wp you got ethernet on your pc and wifi on the other side of the house ^^ 

Power line is only worth a shit if you got good electrical. Not every one has that.