Failing harddrive

Hi my PC is around 3 years and 4 months old, and i have been experiencing slow load times in games (slower than my other friends with their 5+ years old HDDs)

Then i downloaded the CrystalDiskinfo tool to check the Harddrives condition, and i see 99 on reallocated sectors and 100 on current pending sectors is this a sign of a failing hard drive?

Because i've been looking at other forum posts all days and they say different stuff, do you guys have any experience with this and should i replace the HDD?

I've been looking at the Toshiba P300 3TB and Seagate Barracuda 3 TB, since they cost around 600 DKK (100$)

Hope someone knows more about Hard drives than me

Cheers

Tobias

HDD.PNG

This means the harddisk is swapping out bad sectors with reserve sectors it has available. Once those run out, the bad sector count will climb and data corruption will occur. Once this process starts, the drive can't be trusted anymore and should be backed up and replaced soon.

If you need the extra storage, sure, grab that 3TB drive. Those Toshiba drives are pretty decent. If you want more overall performance and reliability, WD Black is also an option.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

Backup all files you want to keep on that drive. Reallocated sectors are sectors of the drive where there has been a reading/writing error and that sector cannot be written to. While not necessarily meaning that the drive is failing completely, it is a sign that you should prepare to replace it. Once a hard drive shows signs of failing, that means it’s typically on a downhill slope from there. I personally would replace it with a new drive, as that is the only way to keep your data safe. You can continue using this one as a scratch drive though, meaning unimportant files or files that can be replaced easily. Seeing that this is a secondary drive already, are you currently storing any important files on it? Because if not you can continue using it as normal and monitor the reallocated sector count to see if it continues to rise.

have the same on my laptop at work. It's showing almost exactly the same numbers as yours. been using it for month now.

Maybe because I only use it to connect to a remote desktop. 

CPU: AMD 3800X GPU: GTX 1080 Ti RAM: (16GB) 2x Corsair 8gb DDR4 3200Mhz Drives: SanDisk 240GB SSD, Samsung 500GB SSD, WD 1TB HDD

Motherboard: MSI X470 Gaming pro plus PSU: Gigabyte 650 watt Monitor(s): 27 inch AOC 1440p

8 minutes ago, Docretier said:

Backup all files you want to keep on that drive. Reallocated sectors are sectors of the drive where there has been a reading/writing error and that sector cannot be written to. While not necessarily meaning that the drive is failing completely, it is a sign that you should prepare to replace it. Once a hard drive shows signs of failing, that means it’s typically on a downhill slope from there. I personally would replace it with a new drive, as that is the only way to keep your data safe. You can continue using this one as a scratch drive though, meaning unimportant files or files that can be replaced easily. Seeing that this is a secondary drive already, are you currently storing any important files on it? Because if not you can continue using it as normal and monitor the reallocated sector count to see if it continues to rise.

It is a secondary drive, the main drive is a 120 GB SSD, so this HDD keeps all the games and none important data, but I think I will buy the 3 TB Toshiba drive to try something else

12 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

This means the harddisk is swapping out bad sectors with reserve sectors it has available. Once those run out, the bad sector count will climb and data corruption will occur. Once this process starts, the drive can't be trusted anymore and should be backed up and replaced soon.

If you need the extra storage, sure, grab that 3TB drive. Those Toshiba drives are pretty decent. If you want more overall performance and reliability, WD Black is also an option.

Seems like a good idea to buy a new drive then.

6 minutes ago, dionkoffie said:

have the same on my laptop at work. It's showing almost exactly the same numbers as yours. been using it for month now.

Maybe because I only use it to connect to a remote desktop. 

Interesting, do you experience any slowdowns? 

4 minutes ago, Tobias8312 said:

It is a secondary drive, the main drive is a 120 GB SSD, so this HDD keeps all the games and none important data, but I think I will buy the 3 TB Toshiba drive to try something else

Seems like a good idea to buy a new drive then.

Interesting, do you experience any slowdowns? 

Yup. It's slow as shit :)

but yeah like I said. I only use it for RDP so I don't mind much. 

CPU: AMD 3800X GPU: GTX 1080 Ti RAM: (16GB) 2x Corsair 8gb DDR4 3200Mhz Drives: SanDisk 240GB SSD, Samsung 500GB SSD, WD 1TB HDD

Motherboard: MSI X470 Gaming pro plus PSU: Gigabyte 650 watt Monitor(s): 27 inch AOC 1440p

Just got the new Toshiba P300 3 TB (HDWD130UZSVA) just took a speed test and it seems cool, longevity has to be seen, but so far so good :)

TOSHIBA HDD.PNG