M17xR3
Expired
Expired November 22, 2012
Service Tag
Express Service code
Memory : 8 GB
Processor : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz[Cores 4] [Logical/Core 2]
Operating System : Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
wcd43-pme -dvd-rw drive and opu failed. Edge detection and webcam failed also.
wwc09-vqq
DRAM-Failed to start

Got this as a gift just a few months before Alienware was purchased by dell. Its been my work horse and has taken a lot of abuse. I could describe it if need be but the fact in never failed or had a hiccup till W10 and worked fairly well after even though Id call it a limp mode for what I was used to. Its now reached the point I need to upgrade/repair it but Im not sure whats the best option. Unfortunately budget is key unless I need to cut my losses and take the step of just replacing it.
current issues- When windows 10 came through it tried several times to force it but I always cancelled or stopped. Then one day I started it up and it was different and I lost all my alienware color changing stuff- graphics on everything slowed failed or so choppy you couldn't watch anything. Then year or more later, turned it on and it worked pretty sweet again but still...limp ish mode. Until recently, everything sucks...no updates changes or downloads. I ran tests, called alienware, researched ect...
what I found out is, I need to go in to a prompt and replace 2 specific numbers in lines of code. Theres a youtube video on it and I felt comfortable enough doing it but I cant find the exact numbers I need or anyone to answer on other forums. ALienware will not assist even though one tech helped me to a point I think he got in trouble.
Also these updates lie to me about my battery, 60% not charging but then next time on..100% No issues. It somehow effects when/how often or long the disk drive will work(read or burn cds)
Today as of posting.
Im ready to tear it down, re thermal everything and replace whatever needed. Ive got codes on what problems are popping up, its a chipset that wont stay installed, and graphics driver. A recent code did say my disk drive needed replaced...So I wondered total cost of replacing these parts so I can update it good enough to play & record games like wow & strategy..Ive twitched with it before and in limp mode so I figured upgrades would only improve it(hopefully).

Ive read up to the best of my knowledge but its mostly been peoples opinions on pushing the limits. I know you cant upgrade laptops that much but I can fix my drive more ram and it should be decent enough right?? or...should I just cut my attempts and find a 2nd use and buy a desk top gaming...(any recommends on those would be extremely appreciated)
I tried to keep it short, simple and as much info without a book...I may have failed on that part but im getting kinda desperate. It could be a simple 2 line fix( $000) or replace parts/ unit itself ( 800-??) I can post more specific details if needed just ask. Please go easy on me as I'm nowhere near anyones level on this forum, hence why you ask the pro's. Thanks in advance!

That's what I would like to do if its within budget. The battery is interesting...it and the disk drive and app ports but USB stop working when I try to upgrade it and the battery slowly trickles down. If I were to reset it to my last save before I started all updates, it shows battery 100% and will function for the most part properly. 

The problem I'm told is swaping 2 numbers  so both graphics cards will work again but the installs failed because a parts bad. Id like to just upgrade everything but I'm not sure what all fits my exact rig due to its age, what prices are within reason as everything "inflated". 

I tried doing a full reset but my password somehow has changed. The never loose this, Ive never had to reset it before, only saved disks & images to flash drives. Ive got the disks that came with it but I'm told I need to have a saved image from when I first bought it, or repair/recovery disks, which I do not have.

Since my disk drive works, for the most part and I'm basically told my graphics cards are just shut off from a line of code, What would be the cheapest fix to get around that issue? Any info on where to buy as well? I'm not 100% on what fits or is considered the thermal warning upgrade(don't upgrade to the best graphics card that fits my rig due to internal thermal issues)

Would pictures of the updates it wants help, I'm pretty sure I listed all failed codes during the diagnostic test

An upgrade to windows 10 (with like an oem key from eBay) would be a nice touch too if you personal like it.

Its tried several times which I did stop at first but the most recent Alien support center upgrade attempt started the old W10 with says failed but I cant find why, I think its driver related.  I was told to upgrade a08 bios then the a12 then do the graphics card upgrade, the first go around. At this point ill use whatever method gets it back to even half of what it used to be.

Is there a specific disk set to use or I would personally need? Ive tried finding disks that will give me W7 and all my alienware controls back but each seller said it their items wouldn't work for my particular model. 

Feel free to link me to items. I'm uploading pictures I hope will help