Tech Room Layout

Jtalk4456

I am having fun designing a room for building and fixing computers, and since i'm at work i found this cool online tool (https://home.by.me) and made myself a little room with lots of storage and table top space. Any comments or suggestions?

image.png.0c878764eba388797997293b8e7d1170.png

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

Why a pedestal for a single phone?

I'd recommend less closed-shelving and some more open - perhaps at standing height.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

2 minutes ago, Imbellis said:

Why a pedestal for a single phone?

I'd recommend less closed-shelving and some more open - perhaps at standing height.

It's a speaker that was available for this online tool, so i just grabbed it, since i would want speakers anyways and I like the idea of that, if it charges my phone too

I have 4 kids, no shelving can be open

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

Don't put workstations on the back counter. There is no leg room it will be super uncomfortable to work on those computers. Maybe if it was taller and people could stand instead of trying to sit?

Just now, Catsrules said:

Don't put workstations on the back counter. There is no leg room it will be super uncomfortable to work on those computers. Maybe if it was taller and people could stand?

I'm not sure where else I would put them, they have to be on a counter somewhere, can't leave them on a floor. And I could definitely make them standing height if i want, i'm limited by the design tool here

13 minutes ago, Jtalk4456 said:

I'm not sure where else I would put them, they have to be on a counter somewhere, can't leave them on a floor. And I could definitely make them standing height if i want, i'm limited by the design tool here

Counters are just hard to get right for a computer desk, they are at the wrong height for sitting or standing there is no leg room even if you could sit.

I guess it depends on the user preference, would they rather sit down with there legs smashed against the counter or stand up.  If this computer is going to be used from more then an hour at a time, you probably want to sit down. I would only recommend standing only solution if, this computer is just a quick look something up then walk away. Anything else I think you would really wish you could sit down to use it, after you have been standing for multiple hours.

You could also look at getting some type of slide out solution, maybe convert one of the top drawers to a keyboard and mouse tray the user could pull out to use the keyboard and mouse, that would naturally give them some leg room. Put the monitor on a wall mouse you could extend out a little bit, to bring the monitor closer. When your not using it, you can slide it all back and have room to work on the counter. 

2 minutes ago, Catsrules said:

Counters are just hard to get right for a computer desk, they are at the wrong height for sitting or standing there is no leg room even if you could sit.

I guess it depends on the user preference, would they rather sit down with there legs smashed against the counter or stand up.  If this computer is going to be used from more then an hour at a time, you probably want to sit down.

You could also look at getting some type of slide out solution, maybe convert one of the top drawers to a keyboard and mouse tray the user could pull out to use the keyboard and mouse, that would naturally give them some leg room. Put the monitor on a wall mouse you could extend out a little bit, to bring the monitor closer. When your not using it, you can slide it all back and have room to work on the counter. 

well the pc's on the counter would be ones I'm repairing, so i shouldn't be sitting there for two hours, but i would definitely adjust the height for standing and get some stools if i need to sit

4 minutes ago, Jtalk4456 said:

well the pc's on the counter would be ones I'm repairing, so i shouldn't be sitting there for two hours, but i would definitely adjust the height for standing and get some stools if i need to sit

Ohh this would be for repairing the computers. never mind I was thinking this was for an actual workstation.

31 minutes ago, Catsrules said:

Ohh this would be for repairing the computers. never mind I was thinking this was for an actual workstation.

no that's the desk on the right

Cube shelves for storing and organizing smaller stuff

Fanboys are the worst thing to happen to the tech community World. Chief among them are Apple fanboys. 

9 minutes ago, Ginger_ said:

Cube shelves for storing and organizing smaller stuff

I'm glad you shared, but personally I cannot stand the look of cube shelves, so i'm gonna have to file that one under "Nice try but no thank you"

xD

every idea = 2v97prd.jpg

Firestrike 
i7-8700k @5.0GHz w/ 1.30v, Corsair h100iv2, Gigabye Aorus gaming 7, 16GB(8x2) 2666MHz ddr4, Dual RX470's OC'd to 1390mhz(atm) in corssfire - liguid cooled with corsair h60's, 3.25 TB in Samsung SSD's, anidees white crystal cube case 

Retired:
i5-4440k @3.2GHz, gigabyte ga-z87x-ud5h z87, 24GB DDR3, 3x1TB Seagate Baracuda HDD.

1 hour ago, Imbellis said:

at standing height.

Since you're going to build computers, I think it would indeed be easy/ergonomic to have a table/desk at standing height.

9 minutes ago, Christophe Corazza said:

Since you're going to build computers, I think it would indeed be easy/ergonomic to have a table/desk at standing height.

for the desk i plan on getting one that can rise to a standing position if needed

3 minutes ago, Jtalk4456 said:

for the desk i plan on getting one that can rise to a standing position if needed

Something like that would certainly be an ideal solution.

Building a computer properly takes some time and you don't want to be bending that whole time.

Plus, you would definitely need to walk/move easily around the table to be able to reach all of the sides of the PC build.

7 minutes ago, Christophe Corazza said:

Are you actually planning on building this room?

In my future house that I am designing and building yes. For now i'm retrofitting this design in my garage 

6 minutes ago, Jtalk4456 said:

In my future house that I am designing and building yes. For now i'm retrofitting this design in my garage 

So you're planning on doing this as a hobby or as a side job? And you need such an advanced room for that? :P

The design seems very neat though :)

29 minutes ago, Christophe Corazza said:

So you're planning on doing this as a hobby or as a side job? And you need such an advanced room for that? :P

The design seems very neat though :)

Yes and yes, it's  got enough room to do a side job with computers and enough room for hobbies. Who said anything about NEED?

Thanks for the compliment though

5 minutes ago, Jtalk4456 said:

Who said anything about NEED?

Hahaha :D

There is needing something that's essential...

and then there is NEEDING something really badly in your life ;)