Trouble getting Windows 10 to update!

Hello,

Newbie here so please bear with me and sorry for the lengthy post!  I've had my system for quite a long time now.  It's had it's few updates here and there but one that I've kept is the mobo and cpu combo:

Asus p8z77-v pro

i7 3770k

Every time windows releases an update, I go to update as normal.  It downloads the files then proceeds to restart and whilst on the Blue spinning circle screen of

"Working on Updates (%)"

"Don't turn off your PC.  This will take a while."

It always fails at 43%. 

I've unplugged pretty much everything in there apart from the SSD (Samsung EVO) and graphics card (GTX 1080) which are the only 2 peripherals left.

Ever since Windows 10 came out, I've never managed to successfully update.  Even from a clean install...it always fails at 43% which I don't know if it's hardware issue?  Tried googling and reading various forums but can't seem to get any info on this.

Tried the net stop wuauserv, bits, cryptsv, msiserv and disabling windows defender to then download the updates and install but again no luck.

The system works fine but more of a irritant than anything else and slightly worried that games i.e. State of Decay 2 won't allow me to install due to the lack of Windows updates! 

Anyway, I'm hoping someone on here might have experience a similar problem or maybe have some kind of insight for me before I have to consider a new bundle.

Thanks for your time reading this!

Hey thanks for the reply.  I'll look to try it out.  Thanks again !