Hard drive works outside of case, but not inside???

majorawsome
Go to solution Solved by majorawsome,

Well, I solved my problem. I don't think that the easily removable screws grounded the drive properly, (If that's a thing), so I replaced them with actual screws and everything works now. Use a screw that came with the screw kit in the computer case preferably, if not just make sure the head of the screw will hold between the drive holder and the hard drive (As you can see with my screws they were able to overlap the drive tray, allowing for a firm hold) and make sure the thread size fits the hard drive! That's all guys!

Ok, So my computer was working as it should yesterday. Then this Xmas morning I received a Bluray Player and installed it. To my surprise when I boot up my computer my hard drive could not be read, so I switched Sata ports.
Still no dice.. Then I tried switching cables, still didn't work... Took out cables for the Bluray player, and still nothing. I took it out of the case and held it in my hand to see if it would work. AND WABAM IT WORKED! Booted into the OS and everything. Put it back in my case and it failed to recognize the drive... Can anyone help me out?

Here are some YouTube videos of this in action

Hard drive inside case      Hard drive outside of case

Do you want to know what grinds my gears?
The old forum.

Might be something causing a short inside?

Corsair 600T White | Gigabyte Z77-UD3H | Intel Core i5-2500k | 8GB Gskill Ares@1600MHz | Gigabyte G1 GTX970 | OCZ ZT 550 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) | Full Custom Loop | NZXT HUE

I also placed the hard drive on the ground and it still didn't work. Let me try to change the removable tray

The old forum.

I figured out the problem. I think...For some reason the hard drive is recognized when I touch this. Do you have any clue what that is?

The old forum.

Well, I solved my problem. I don't think that the easily removable screws grounded the drive properly, (If that's a thing), so I replaced them with actual screws and everything works now. Use a screw that came with the screw kit in the computer case preferably, if not just make sure the head of the screw will hold between the drive holder and the hard drive (As you can see with my screws they were able to overlap the drive tray, allowing for a firm hold) and make sure the thread size fits the hard drive! That's all guys!

The old forum.

Nice.

Corsair 600T White | Gigabyte Z77-UD3H | Intel Core i5-2500k | 8GB Gskill Ares@1600MHz | Gigabyte G1 GTX970 | OCZ ZT 550 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) | Full Custom Loop | NZXT HUE

Nice.

I'm still confused by it though :/

The old forum.