New Build; Advice Wanted

jiyeon

Hey all, I'm going to build a new PC soon and I have everything prepared, however I am wondering if there's anything I should consider before I go ahead and collect all the parts, such as component incompatibility or component upgrades.

The build I am going for is as follows:

Intel Core i5-8600 CPU

Cryorig C7 CPU Cooler

ASUS Prime Z370-P Motherboard

HyperX Fury 4GB DDR4-2133 RAM (2x)

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD

ASUS STRIX GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Graphics Card

NZXT S340 Case

Corsair CXM450W 80+B Semi-Modular PSU

I have specific questions for this planning:

1) Will the build's performance be hindered in any way by the 1050 Ti? If so, is it better to get a 1060?

2) Is the CPU cooler decent enough to cool the 8600?

3) Should I invest in case fans instead of the stock NZXT S340 fans?

4) Is 450W enough for this build? According to PC Part Picker, this build requires 234W of power.

Note: I have already purchased the NZXT S340 and the Z370 motherboard if that makes any difference to the above questions.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

What's your budget (discluding the case and motherboard) and location?

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

1. Yeah, I'd definitely recommend 1060 now that they come down in price.

2. Seems okay for i5-8600.

3. Case fans should do just fine, it won't produce much heat with i5-8600 and 1050ti or 1060.

4. Yep, plenty enough unless you plan on upgrading to a beefier gpu in the future, in that case i'd go for at least 550W.

I'd advise leaving the case fans alone, Higher end cases normally come with somewhat decent ones.
450w should be enough
If you have the money upgrading to a 1060 is a good idea.
You can get away with the stock cooler on the 8600 if you needa save money, That cooler is more than enough anyway.

--- Purple Prime ---
i7 8700k + Hyper 212 Evo | MSI Z370 Gaming Pro CarbonG-Skill Trident Z 3000Mhz RGB 16GB | Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti

Crucial MX500 500GB | WD Black 2TB | Corsair RM850i | Fractal Design Define R4LG 27UD68-P | Logitech G502 + G910 | Windows 10 Pro

--- Proteus Server ---

AyyMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Asrock B450m Pro-4 | Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) | Sapphire RX570 NITRO+ 8GB

Crucial MX500 1TB + Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB + Seagate 1TB 2.5" + 5TB iDrive  | Windows 10 Pro (Temporary)

--- Camera Stuff ---
Canon EOS 77D | Canon EF-S 18-55 f/4-5.6 IS STM | Canon EF-S 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS STM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM 
Zoom H5 + XY-5
Phone - Oneplus 6T

1. A 1060 would be much better
  2. The cooler is fine
  3. The stock fans are fine, but it never hurts to get better parts
  4. 450 watts should be fine, but if you plan to upgrade in the future you'll want higher wattage

Why did you buy a Z370 board?

2 minutes ago, MiNy said:

Hey all, I'm going to build a new PC soon and I have everything prepared, however I am wondering if there's anything I should consider before I go ahead and collect all the parts, such as component incompatibility or component upgrades.

Intel Core i5-8600 CPU

Cryorig C7 CPU Cooler

NZXT S340 Case

1) Will the build's performance be hindered in any way by the 1050 Ti? If so, is it better to get a 1060?

4) Is 450W enough for this build? According to PC Part Picker, this build requires 234W of power.

Note: I have already purchased the NZXT S340 and the Z370 motherboard if that makes any difference to the above questions.

You're going to want a minimum of 8GB of ram. Unless you plan on playing older or lighter load games.

1) If you have the money, get the 1060 3gb or 6gb. You'll get a lot more performance since they are the sweet spot in terms of price/performance.

2) The cooler looks like it should be fine.

3) Stock case fans should be plenty.

4) 450W will be fine, although you limit your upgrade potentiality if you ever plan on getting a beefier GPU.

Just now, Rasbir Singh said:

What's your budget (discluding the case and motherboard) and location?

My total budget is £800, this entire build is £750, the case being £60 and the motherboard £104.

I live in the UK.

1 minute ago, ColoradoJones12 said:
  1. A 1060 would be much better
  2. The cooler is fine
  3. The stock fans are fine, but it never hurts to get better parts
  4. 450 watts should be fine, but if you plan to upgrade in the future you'll want higher wattage

Why did you buy a Z370 board?

I decided Z370 because it's my first custom PC and I wanted to go all-out, no other reason!

2 minutes ago, Mio85 said:

You're going to want a minimum of 8GB of ram

He/she already has 8gb of ram, read the list carefully.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

Just now, MiNy said:

I decided Z370 because it's my first custom PC and I wanted to go all-out, no other reason!

Would have been better to buy a locked mobo, but hey, at least it gives you a good board for upgrading cpus

2 minutes ago, Rasbir Singh said:

He/she already has 8gb of ram, read the list carefully.

Thanks, I didn't see the (2x) at the back.

2 minutes ago, MiNy said:

For that reason alone you should make the best of your motherboard and get the 8600k,  then down the line when you feel like an upgrade have a dabble with some overclocking.

2 minutes ago, ColoradoJones12 said:

Would have been better to buy a locked mobo, but hey, at least it gives you a good board for upgrading cpus

i7-8700K potentially in the future, for sure.

Just now, glenalz81 said:

For that reason alone you should make the best of your motherboard and get the 8600k,  then down the line when you feel like an upgrade have a dabble with some overclocking.

Thanks for the advice, the price difference between locked and unlocked 8600s is merely £30 so I'll look into it.

Can the motherboard be RMA'd because there's better options?

And if your system is strictly for gaming and you want the best gaming performance and you don't need such a good CPU, check out this build: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/XdKshy

14 minutes ago, MiNy said:

Intel Core i5-8600 CPU

Cryorig C7 CPU Cooler

NZXT S340 Case

Wait for Computex in case they release new GPUs

1. A GTX 1060 is going to offer better gaming performance, but a GTX 1050 Ti is fine.
  2. C7 is good for 100W TDP, the locked i5-8600 is 65W TDP, so the C7 is fine. You could just stick with the stock cooler. If you want something a little better, consider the H7.
  3. Stock case fans are fine.
  4. 450W is more than enough psu capacity and you have selected a good psu.

Thoughts: 

• Consider getting a 2x4GB DDR4-2666 memory kit. The cpu is rated for that speed.
  • You might take a look at some of the Asus B360 and H370 motherboards. They would be decent matches for the cpu.
  • The other option would be an unlocked i5-8600K. However, one would then have to get a better cpu cooler. Something like an H7 at a minimum.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

1 minute ago, Rasbir Singh said:

Can the motherboard be RMA'd because there's better options

What other motherboards would you suggest? I chose Asus Z370 purely since I like Asus.

Just now, MiNy said:

What other motherboards would you suggest? I chose Asus Z370 purely since I like Asus.

Unless you really want to overclock, the motherboard choice is fine.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

1 minute ago, MiNy said:

I mean you could save money by building something like this (if your system is only for gaming): https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/XdKshy

1 minute ago, brob said:
  1. A GTX 1060 is going to offer better gaming performance, but a GTX 1050 Ti is fine.
  2. C7 is good for 100W TDP, the locked i5-8600 is 65W TDP, so the C7 is fine. You could just stick with the stock cooler. If you want something a little better, consider the H7.
  3. Stock case fans are fine.
  4. 450W is more than enough psu capacity and you have selected a good psu.

Thoughts: 

• Consider getting a 2x4GB DDR4-2666 memory kit. The cpu is rated for that speed.
  • You might take a look at some of the Asus B360 and H370 motherboards. They would be decent matches for the cpu.
  • The other option would be an unlocked i5-8600K. However, one would then have to get a better cpu cooler. Something like an H7 at a minimum.

I've taken note of the memory suggestion, thanks for that one. An unlocked CPU has been a big suggestion, I'll also consider that and the CPU cooler. Thanks!

2 minutes ago, Rasbir Singh said:

I mean you could save money by building something like this (if your system is only for gaming): https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/XdKshy

I play CSGO and general day-to-day usage focuses more on compute power so a better CPU as opposed to a better GPU would be more suited to my needs. I thank you for the suggestion though.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8400 2.8GHz 6-Core Processor  (£143.99 @ Aria PC) 
Motherboard: ASRock - B360M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (£64.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk) 
Memory: Crucial - Ballistix Tactical 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  (£133.56 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: Crucial - MX500 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  (£60.53 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£34.79 @ Aria PC) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Mini ITX OC Video Card  (£235.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Case: Thermaltake - Versa H18 Tempered Glass MicroATX Mini Tower Case  (£39.98 @ Novatech) 
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM (2015) 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£47.00 @ SmartTeck.co.uk) 
Total: £760.83
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-05-26 02:17 BST+0100

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W