Dedicated Streaming PC

Hi Guys,

1. Budget & Location

I am trying to keep my streaming pc below about €800 ($930)

2. Aim

This system will be used as a dedicated streaming PC to compliment my gaming build.

3. Monitors

1 basic monitor (already acquired) 

4. Peripherals

Have peripherals and also have my OS. Purely hardware opinion

5. Why are you upgrading?

No upgrade. New dedicated streaming build.

So the following is what I came up with after some light searching today. My biggest clash here is whether to go Ryzen or Intel (R5 v i5)

Ryzen 5 1600

MSI A320m Gaming Pro

Corsair Vengence 8gb (2x4 3000)

WD Blue couple of TBs

Gigabyte GT 1030

Thermaltake versa h15

Corsair vs450

and an elgato game capture card.

Opinions would be greately appreciated. I am caught between R5 1600 and i5 8400. Price wise I would lean towards intel due to onboard graphics, which is working out much cheaper excluding the 1030. Would a dedicated streaming pc really benefit from the 6c/12t of the Ryzen or be fine with the Intel 6c/6t?

Thanks,

G

15 minutes ago, garyhogan1991 said:

Hi Guys,

1. Budget & Location

2. Aim

This system will be used as a dedicated streaming PC to compliment my gaming build.

3. Monitors

4. Peripherals

So the following is what I came up with after some light searching today. My biggest clash here is whether to go Ryzen or Intel (R5 v i5)

Ryzen 5 1600

MSI A320m Gaming Pro

WD Blue couple of TBs

Gigabyte GT 1030

Thermaltake versa h15

Corsair vs450

Opinions would be greately appreciated. I am caught between R5 1600 and i5 8400. Price wise I would lean towards intel due to onboard graphics, which is working out much cheaper excluding the 1030. Would a dedicated streaming pc really benefit from the 6c/12t of the Ryzen or be fine with the Intel 6c/6t?

Thanks,

G

So, more threads do benefit your streaming quality. Since you are making a dedicared streaming pc you'll be streaming 1080p60 with x.264 encoder and CBR 6mbps fast preset. In that part, I'd suggest getting the ryzen. since you'll slightly benefit from the extra threads. and get any kind of graphics card that's cheap. You can just get a $10 gpu for vidro output :)

If it's only dedicated to streaming, the 1600 might be overkill. I'm looking around if anyone has actually put up any benchmarks for load utilization on this type of stuff and actually coming up pretty short.

53 minutes ago, garyhogan1991 said:

Hi Guys,

1. Budget & Location

2. Aim

3. Monitors

4. Peripherals

Ryzen 5 1600

MSI A320m Gaming Pro

WD Blue couple of TBs

Gigabyte GT 1030

Thermaltake versa h15

Corsair vs450

Thanks,

G

You know, there really doesn't seem to be any good actual benchmarking available on this topic. The Ryzen 5 1600 would encode x264 better, so if the encoder can load the threads, it'd work out better.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3288-amd-r5-2600-2600x-review-stream-benchmarks-gaming-blender/page-2

My best guess is go with the 1600 and OC it to 3.8 Ghz all-core. (3.9 if you can do it at good voltage.) That should be able to handle 1080p/60hz with good quality, if I'm reading about OBS properly. (Big if here, as I've not played with this stuff, and no one really has extensive benchmarks for dedicate systems.)

On 25/05/2018 at 5:04 PM, Taf the Ghost said:

You know, there really doesn't seem to be any good actual benchmarking available on this topic. The Ryzen 5 1600 would encode x264 better, so if the encoder can load the threads, it'd work out better.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3288-amd-r5-2600-2600x-review-stream-benchmarks-gaming-blender/page-2

My best guess is go with the 1600 and OC it to 3.8 Ghz all-core. (3.9 if you can do it at good voltage.) That should be able to handle 1080p/60hz with good quality, if I'm reading about OBS properly. (Big if here, as I've not played with this stuff, and no one really has extensive benchmarks for dedicate systems.)

Thats exactly what I am looking for at the minute. Its a great idea and a fairly logical idea but it seems to be all based on "Yep the threads will handle it" with no actual benchmarks to back it up. Thanks for your reply

1 minute ago, garyhogan1991 said:

Thats exactly what I am looking for at the minute. Its a great idea and a fairly logical idea but it seems to be all based on "Yep the threads will handle it" with no actual benchmarks to back it up. Thanks for your reply

https://www.techspot.com/review/1613-amd-ryzen-2700x-2600x/page2.html

Look at the benchmarks for Corona, Blender & Handbrake. 

OBS is a x264 encoding task. Your worst case is that the 1600 works the same as the 8400. Best case is the 1600 is significantly faster. The HandBrake result there is a conversion to x265, which is more bound to a primary worker thread. This tends to be the worst result for AMD in the encode space, which is level with the Intel SKUs by price category.

On 29/05/2018 at 11:15 AM, Taf the Ghost said:

https://www.techspot.com/review/1613-amd-ryzen-2700x-2600x/page2.html

Look at the benchmarks for Corona, Blender & Handbrake. 

OBS is a x264 encoding task. Your worst case is that the 1600 works the same as the 8400. Best case is the 1600 is significantly faster. The HandBrake result there is a conversion to x265, which is more bound to a primary worker thread. This tends to be the worst result for AMD in the encode space, which is level with the Intel SKUs by price category.

Taf you have been a great help! Thanks for looking into this for me! I have decided to go Ryzen purely on the worst case vs best case scenario

1 hour ago, garyhogan1991 said:

Taf you have been a great help! Thanks for looking into this for me! I have decided to go Ryzen purely on the worst case vs best case scenario

Np. Can you squeeze in the 2600 over the 1600, depending on location? (Some places it's a ~15USD difference; others it is a lot bigger.)  Also, B450 boards are coming July 1, depending on your timeline. (Might be discounts to land.)

You really want to spend alot of money for a dedicated streaming rig? I use one from ebay parts on a platform that can go up to 10 cores/20 threads. A motherboard from an HP Z420 (or Z620 in my case, only difference is Z620 has dual socket support via daughter-board) with 8gb ram, though registered ECC DDR3 is cheap as dirt on ebay. The board cost me $100 last year and supports HEDT Sandy Bridge-E and Ivy Bridge-E. I have it with a $42 Xeon E5-1620 4c/8t and encode OBS at 5000kbps/medium 720p60fps. The only catch here is taking the board out of the HP workstation case its supposed to go in (i have mine setup on an open-air test bench, since i also use it for testing things) will cause a "press F1 to boot" error when powering it on. After pressing F1 to boot, it operates 100% no different than any other PC. The board is ATX form factor, and just needs a cheap PSU adapter thats like $10-$20 that lets you use a standard ATX PSU. On the outside it sounds kind of janky sure, but it works and it works well for me. And a good chip for encoding isn't all that expensive. The platform is C600/C602/X79, socket 2011. Xeon E5-2667 6c/12t 2.9ghz base/3.5ghz turbo is around $70 on ebay, though the 8-cores like the E5-2660 and E5-2670 (and higher, which will also get into more cores especially if you get into ivy bridge v2 versions) start to get more expensive and some aren't all that highly clocked, but encoding i think favors cores over frequency so theres that. 

Anyways, just some info. Good luck with your streaming PC build!

YouTube/CoalitionGaming - Cameras: Canon 1DX MkII, Canon EOS M6 MkII, Panasonic Lumix G85
The Gaming/Streaming/Editing Rig: Codename
LINCHPIN 
Ryzen 9 5900X // Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite mobo // 32gb G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600mhz // Swiftech Boreas custom CPU loop & IRIS Helix Fans // Lian LI PC-O11 Dynamic Case // Nvidia RTX 3080 FE  // Sandisk x400 1tb SSD // Micron 2tb SSD // WD 1tb Blue HDD // SK Hynix Gold P31 NVME 1tb SSD //