Do I need a Fan controller

Ninjasupahsquid

I am building a computer and I have a spare expansion slot in my case and I am contemplating on needing a fan controller... or should I let the motherboard handle it? please do tell me what to do.

If you want to see the build in question please click this link VVV

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/ninjasupahsquid/saved/ZBhWXL

and if you think you know of a better case for air cooling than the mastercase mc500 please tell me what case you would recommend. and no I am not changing the fans... they have good CFM ratings and they look pretty!

Many thanks,

-Ninjasupahsquid

also just to let you know I am planning 3 140mm fans in the front and 1 140mm in the back with 2 120mm on the radiator in the top

4 minutes ago, ninjasupahsquid said:

or should I let the motherboard handle it? 

Do this first and monitor the temperatures. If they're too high you'll be better off adding more fans rather than using a fan controller.

There's a time and place for everything! But not now. - Professor Oak

i7 2600K 4.3GHz  -  GTX 1060 3GB  - ASUS P8Z68-V - 16GB DDR3-1600 CL9 - EIZO 1080p 120Hz VA

Intel Skulltrail: 2x Core 2 Quad QX9775 - Intel D5400XS - 16GB FB DDR2-800 CL5 Quad Channel

EVGA SR-2 Classified - 2x Xeon X5675 4.2GHz - 24GB DDR3-1830 C10 Triple Channel

Intel Skulltrail #2: 2x Xeon E5472  - Intel D5400XS - 16GB FB DDR2-667 CL5 Quad Channel

For 95 percent of use cases, the motherboard is sufficient.  You can set your fan profiles in the motherboard bios to have the fans speed according to your temperature.  You don't need the manual control to keep your temps safe.

Reasons I would consider a hardware fan controller:

• Looks
  • Add other I/O
  • Controlling the case fans - I'd always let the motherboard control the cpu fan

You are going for Gigabyte, the brand least known for good fan control. I still would try and see how it works before buying any controller. Bay controllers aren't best choice even then. If I would be shopping for extra fan controller, I would go for NZXT Grid+. I don't like CAM, but dislike Corsair in general (they have Commander Mini/Pro which uses Link for controls).

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv