Ryzen memory nightmares

I'm trying to get a Ryzen 1700 up and running with an MSI X370 Gaming Plus motherboard, however it will not allow me to touch the RAM settings at all. On 'auto', the RAM runs 2133MHz, however even if I just manually set 2133MHz instead of using auto, the motherboard will not POST. Needless to say, no other speeds or settings can be set either. I've tried it with several kits of RAM, including some Corsair LPX that I thought was on the QVL, but when it turned up it was the right model but a different version (ARGHHH), but since even manually setting the default speed won't work, I don't think that's the issue. I have the latest BIOS from MSI on the motherboard.

Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this problem?

Check the guide for Ryzen ram in my signature

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

I have the same board (and until the 2700X released the same CPU as well) and I've had 0 issues with Corsar LPX. Try to overclock the CPU before touching the RAM settings. Until I OC'd my 1700 it wouldn't really run the XMP profile either.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

The only thing in the RAM guide I hadn't tried already was manually setting the SOC voltage. I tried at all the settings on the side of the RAM but with 2666MHz instead of 3200MHz, and with the SOC set manually at 1.2V - but same result: no POST.

Regarding overclocking first, I also tried setting 3.8GHz @ 1.35V (I know it will run 3.9GHz at that voltage), with all the memory settings mention above, and the result was no POST again.

What about loading xmp profiles? 

Fanboys are the worst thing to happen to the tech community World. Chief among them are Apple fanboys. 

Are you sure you RAM is installed correctly in the right slots? (I remember MSI having a different color lay out for their slots)

You want to use channel 1A and 2A (1 red slot, 1 black slot)

56 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

I have the same board (and until the 2700X released the same CPU as well) and I've had 0 issues with Corsar LPX. Try to overclock the CPU before touching the RAM settings. Until I OC'd my 1700 it wouldn't really run the XMP profile either.

By the way, does your motherboard do what looks like an extended memory test as part of its POST procedure (lasts about 10-15 seconds)?

5 minutes ago, Ansuex said:

Check this image for reference :)

Screen Shot 2018-05-25 at 13.20.13.png

This could be the issue - I have the RAM installed in A2 and B2 (both red lanes).

Well, I changed to A1 and A2, but the motherboard flashed up a message to say the RAM was in a non-optimal arrangement, and directed me to put it back into A2 and B2. According to the manual, A2 and B2 is the right arrangement.

4 minutes ago, DDebbil said:

This could be the issue - I have the RAM installed in A2 and B2 (both red lanes).

Happend to me too, MSI just likes to do things different :P

Just now, DDebbil said:

Well, I changed to A1 and A2, but the motherboard flashed up a message to say the RAM was in a non-optimal arrangement, and directed me to put it back into A2 and B2. According to the manual, A2 and B2 is the right arrangement.

That is odd though, I took this image straight out of the manual of your motherboard :o

I think for dual channel you need one stick in the A channel and one in the B channel.

Always insert memory modules in the DIMMA2 slot first. it says in your guide, so it seems like you did correctly there..

1 module in A2 and 1 module in B2

1 hour ago, DDebbil said:

By the way, does your motherboard do what looks like an extended memory test as part of its POST procedure (lasts about 10-15 seconds)?

Nope. POST takes about 5-10 seconds after pushing the power button on mine. 

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

Hm - the latest BIOS did improve the POST time a bit, but it's about 10-12 seconds before the top two LEDs go out, and another few seconds before the screen comes on.