Upgrading PC, need MOBO, still please

hey, LTT forum

I am wanting to swap out my MOBO for a new one because I recently got a deal on some Ram at work. I am wanting to get ready for the new wave for GPUs.

here are my current specs

I was thinking of upgrading to Ryzen 7 since I have the 390. I am just curious on what board to buy that has DDR4 slots. Suggestions would be welcomed.

(please be nice in comments, it's my first attempt a post in a forum.)

What's your budget and country?

I would personally get something along the lines of a Ryzen 5 2600 or 2600x with a decent X470 board(since B450 isn't a thing apparently).

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 minute ago, CamTechCorner said:

hey, LTT forum

I am wanting to swap out my MOBO for a new one because I recently got a deal on some Ram at work. I am wanting to get ready for the new wave for GPUs.

here are my current specs

I was thinking of upgrading to Ryzen 7 since I have the 390. I am just curious on what board to buy that has DDR4 slots. Suggestions would be welcomed.

(please be nice in comments, it's my first attempt a post in a forum.)

What are you trying to do? Do you mostly game with light video editing? Do you plan on streaming and gaming? Are you all about computational work?

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

What's your budget and country?

I would personally get something along the lines of a Ryzen 5 2600 or 2600x with a decent X470 board(since B450 isn't a thing apparently).

budget prefer to stay under $750 for both. but I can budge to $900. I am USA. WA

3 minutes ago, Mio85 said:

What are you trying to do? Do you mostly game with light video editing? Do you plan on streaming and gaming? Are you all about computational work?

Gaming primarily. light amount of scripting/coding, and I want to branch out into streaming/video editing.

4 minutes ago, CamTechCorner said:

Gaming primarily. light amount of scripting/coding, and I want to branch out into streaming/video editing.

If you're primarily gaming then go for an i7 8700k.
http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-8700K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-2700X/3937vs3958

The CPUs in the link above are both at 3.7 GHz, but the 8700k can easily overclock to 5.0ghz and the 2700x can only do 4.3-4.4 at best.

This is a comparison video between a typically OC'd 8700k and a typically OC'd 2700x.

Then for a motherboard, get any z370 motherboard, find the one that has the features you want. http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.aspx?Ntt=z370

I would suggest sticking with your 390 until the new GPUs come out in a month or two. For PSU get an EVGA 750W powersupply. http://www.microcenter.com/product/457324/SuperNOVA_750_750W_Watt_80_Plus_Bronze_ATX_Power_Supply

6 minutes ago, CamTechCorner said:

Sounds like either Ryzen 7 or an 8700K would be a good option.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

3 minutes ago, Mio85 said:

If you're primarily gaming then go for an i7 8700k.
http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-8700K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-2700X/3937vs3958

The CPUs in the link above are both at 3.7 GHz, but the 8700k can easily overclock to 5.0ghz and the 2700x can only do 4.3-4.4 at best.

This is a comparison video between a typically OC'd 8700k and a typically OC'd 2700x.

thanks for the feedback I've been arguing with my co-workers on getting either the ryzen or coffelake. I was just trying to stick with amd but I suppose it doesn't matter much.

1 minute ago, CamTechCorner said:

thanks for the feedback I've been arguing with my co-workers on getting either the ryzen or coffelake. I was just trying to stick with amd but I suppose it doesn't matter much.

No problemo, whichever you choose, you'll have a great gaming experience. Just do some research and find which one fits your needs the best.

A Ryzen system would benefit more from faster ram 3000 or 3200.  Intel might be better suited with the 2400 ram you have linked if your primary concern is gaming.

1 hour ago, CamTechCorner said:

You can get a X470 for free?

Put a 2700X in there, get a ~40-50 USD air cooler and just call it good. 

Any 4x RAM setup, you'll have to fiddle with settings to get the timings good, but it's worth the trouble.  What type of storage are you running?

14 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

You can get a X470 for free?

Put a 2700X in there, get a ~40-50 USD air cooler and just call it good. 

Any 4x RAM setup, you'll have to fiddle with settings to get the timings good, but it's worth the trouble.  What type of storage are you running?

1tb ssd 960 evo i think then 3tb WD hd and 2 500gb hdd's i had spare

13 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/x7h9cY

Since you have memory & motherboard, something like those parts? Obviously, can drop what you don't need to replace.

https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-GTS-Performance-Horizontal/dp/B00E0EXYDC would this cooler work? its free at my work.

also does this MOBO work? with the intel route? if i do go that way. it just seems better gaming wise for 4k

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813145037&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Motherboards+-+Intel-_-N82E16813145037&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI376N-Pme2wIVCNtkCh0GqgeREAQYAyABEgJQKPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

5 hours ago, CamTechCorner said:

1tb ssd 960 evo i think then 3tb WD hd and 2 500gb hdd's i had spare

Then storage isn't an issue.

4 hours ago, CamTechCorner said:

AM4 is a new socket, so you'd need a new bracket for that cooler. You'd just need to get one from Cooler Master. http://www.coolermaster.com/amd-am4-ryzen-compatability/en/ (This happens when new socket sizes come out.)

As for the Z370 board, yes, that's a good one. No, however, it doesn't matter for 4K gaming. Quite a few 4K games would run fine on a i3 or Ryzen 3. It'll be a very long time before either Intel or AMD has an advantage at 4K that is anything other than Game Engine optimizations.

34 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Then storage isn't an issue.

AM4 is a new socket, so you'd need a new bracket for that cooler. You'd just need to get one from Cooler Master. http://www.coolermaster.com/amd-am4-ryzen-compatability/en/ (This happens when new socket sizes come out.)

As for the Z370 board, yes, that's a good one. No, however, it doesn't matter for 4K gaming. Quite a few 4K games would run fine on a i3 or Ryzen 3. It'll be a very long time before either Intel or AMD has an advantage at 4K that is anything other than Game Engine optimizations.

so it really seems, AMD would be a better route to go and just get a AMD4 bracket for the cooler i got and you think the ryzen 7 x?

30 minutes ago, CamTechCorner said:

so it really seems, AMD would be a better route to go and just get a AMD4 bracket for the cooler i got and you think the ryzen 7 x?

Yeah. 2700X will auto-turbo itself, getting very close to the way a GPU does. (Which makes sense AMD would finally get there.) There's not much reason to set manual overclocks with the Ryzen 2nd gen, especially with that good of a cooler.

Main thing is getting the memory to the best speed & timing possible. This is also true on Intel platforms, but the auto settings tend to be "enough" for most people. Any 4x set of Memory is going to start at a low speed, and you'll have to up the speed each step. You can probably get that kit you listed to 2933/3000 without too much issue. Though I'm not sure 4K gaming would even be bottlenecked at that level. People are 4K gaming on 2600k platforms without much issue. (4K is all about the GPU.)

4 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Yeah. 2700X will auto-turbo itself, getting very close to the way a GPU does. (Which makes sense AMD would finally get there.) There's not much reason to set manual overclocks with the Ryzen 2nd gen, especially with that good of a cooler.

Main thing is getting the memory to the best speed & timing possible. This is also true on Intel platforms, but the auto settings tend to be "enough" for most people. Any 4x set of Memory is going to start at a low speed, and you'll have to up the speed each step. You can probably get that kit you listed to 2933/3000 without too much issue. Though I'm not sure 4K gaming would even be bottlenecked at that level. People are 4K gaming on 2600k platforms without much issue. (4K is all about the GPU.)

OK, thank you very much for the feedback it was very informative.

39 minutes ago, CamTechCorner said:

It should be noted that the next generation Nvidia 1180 Ti, which is probably a year away, is going to be the first real "4K Gaming" GPU. Sure, you can do it now, but at high or ultra settings, it's just not there yet. From 2nd Ryzen and on, the only gaming difference is at really, really high FPS, which requires a x700k part at really high clocks and a top SKU GPU.

It's why 1st Gen Ryzen was such an easy recommendation for most of 2017. The differences only crop up when you're doing something very specific.