2nd PC for streaming, CPU choice?!

Go to solution Solved by mikat,

Well the best way to test would be to game and stream at the same time and see how much lower your fps is.

If you're going to be building the second pc it's probably good enough (you can test this by seeing how much cpu the streaming program takes up on your 4790k and if it's not more than 50% it's going to be easy for that second computer)

Hi there, thank you for reading my post!

I want to start streaming to twitch, using a secondary PC. Not only because I have spare parts, but also to keep the load off my Gaming PC and to keep a high stable framerate.

My main PC is able to play R6S at a decent framerate (~140FPS@ 2560x1440) but in order to able to play competitively and lag free, i want my encoding load off my main PC.
Main PC Specs:
i7-4790k / 16GB RAM
GTX1070
165Hz 2560x1440 Monitor

My secondary PC would rock a GTX 770 since it is just sitting on my shelf. I would also throw in 8GBs of DDR3 RAM.
Woud a Haswell quadcore be enough? (i.e: i5 4570 or Haswell Xeon, if I can find a cheap one)
I have all the parts ready and I do know how streaming on 2PCs vie Network works.
I can not afford to upgrade my main PC because I would have to Buy CPU, MoBo and RAM.

Is my assumption correct, that my main PC is not able to encode and play at high Framerate?

PLS Help! :D

May the Force be with you all!

Firestrike Score: https://www.3dmark.com/fs/10388602

Well the best way to test would be to game and stream at the same time and see how much lower your fps is.

If you're going to be building the second pc it's probably good enough (you can test this by seeing how much cpu the streaming program takes up on your 4790k and if it's not more than 50% it's going to be easy for that second computer)

2 minutes ago, mikat said:

Thank you, i will test it this way, What about GPU and RAM? How much do i need? or is a GTX770 and 8GB enough?

6 minutes ago, waxer_R6 said:

Thank you, i will test it this way, What about GPU and RAM? How much do i need? or is a GTX770 and 8GB enough?

Well, first you need to figure out how you're getting the information from Computer #1 to Computer #2. Capture Card? Network Capture?

For encoding for a 60fps stream, any 4 core from Haswell on should be able to handle it. Streams aren't actually that intensive to encode, it's doing that, which clogs up I/O, while trying to play a game at a good frame rate that's the issue.

2 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Well, first you need to figure out how you're getting the information from Computer #1 to Computer #2. Capture Card? Network Capture?

For encoding for a 60fps stream, any 4 core from Haswell on should be able to handle it. Streams aren't actually that intensive to encode, it's doing that, which clogs up I/O, while trying to play a game at a good frame rate that's the issue.

I will use the OBS NDI plugin, don't worry, I got the technical part, I am just wondering about CPU choice :)

But thanks for reminding me of the setup I will have to do once the PC is completed :P

If you are interested, this is how it works :)

When i was running my i5-4440(haswell) i was playing gta5 and games that require less specs, while screen recording, or streaming using OBS, 24 gb ddr3, and 2x rx470's, and on one rx as well. Never had bottleknecking or slow downs, couldnt even tell i was doing both.

Firestrike 
i7-8700k @5.0GHz w/ 1.30v, Corsair h100iv2, Gigabye Aorus gaming 7, 16GB(8x2) 2666MHz ddr4, Dual RX470's OC'd to 1390mhz(atm) in corssfire - liguid cooled with corsair h60's, 3.25 TB in Samsung SSD's, anidees white crystal cube case 

Retired:
i5-4440k @3.2GHz, gigabyte ga-z87x-ud5h z87, 24GB DDR3, 3x1TB Seagate Baracuda HDD.