dumbest question about SSDs

sample text

hey,can someone explain me this: If I install OS in SSD,it will be faster overall,the boot time will be faster.But what if I install OS in SSD and my browser,antivirus software etc are installed in HDD?Will they be faster,because my OS is in SSD,or if I want them to launch,read/write faster,they have to be installed in the SSD too?In my opinion whatever is installed in SSD will be faster,but since the OS is installed in SSD,it made me ask myself this question.Basically does installing OS in SSD means everything will be faster or only the system processes  will be faster?

only stuff on the SSD will be faster The progams on a HDD would work much slower (about 1/5th). however if you had 2 SSD and had say programs on one and os on other depending on your sata throughput you could make it faster though a RAID 0 or 1 would work better.

PSU Tier Ranking List

Ryzen 5 1600x|ASROCK                      |16GB DDR4 3400Mhz Corsair Vengence   | (partial build in progress)

FX-8350 AM3+| ASUS M5A990FX V1 | 32GB DDR3 2400Mhz Corsair Vengeance | Samsung EVO 850 PRO | Win 7 64 Pro | EVGA 750W G PSU | EVGA 750 ti 6GB | Corsair H100i v1

FX-8120 AM3+| ASUS M5A990FX V2 | 16GB DDR3 2400Mhz Corsair Vengeance | Samsung EVO 850 PRO | Win 7 64 Pro | EVGA 750W G PSU | EVGA 750 ti 6GB | Corsair H80i v1 

I5-2500K LGA  | ACER MOBO??         | 16GB DDR3 2400Mhz Corsair Vengeance | Samsung EVO 860 PRO | Win 10 64 Pro | EVGA 750W G PSU | EVGA 970 SC 4GB | Corsair H80i v1

1 minute ago, sample text said:

hey,can someone explain me this: If I install OS in SSD,it will be faster overall,the boot time will be faster.But what if I install OS in SSD and my browser,antivirus software etc are installed in HDD?Will they be faster,because my OS is in SSD,or if I want them to launch,read/write faster,they have to be installed in the SSD too?In my opinion whatever is installed in SSD will be faster,but since the OS is installed in SSD,it made me ask myself this question.Basically does installing OS in SSD means everything will be faster or only the system processes  will be faster?

Of course the storage medium impacts the launch speed of the application. but in case of the antivirus it would also impact the boot speed because it it loaded on startup.

So in general: put often used applications on the ssd and also applications that need to be launched on boot. and put the rest wherever you like it.

#killedmywife #howtomakebombs #vgamasterrace

10 hours ago, simson0606 said:

Of course the storage medium impacts the launch speed of the application. but in case of the antivirus it would also impact the boot speed because it it loaded on startup.

So in general: put often used applications on the ssd and also applications that need to be launched on boot. and put the rest wherever you like it.

the only thing which is on my SSD is the OS(120GB SSD).I'm afraid to put anything else,because windows 10 is different than the rest of the OS.On them we can disable updates,but Win10 is a service and it's updates can't be disabled.I'm afraid if I put firefox and some other most usable softwares on SSD,the memory will end fast,because of their updates(I believe if some software updates,it takes more memory on the disk)

Just now, sample text said:

the only thing which is on my SSD is the OS(120GB SSD).I'm afraid to put anything else,because windows 10 is different than the rest of the OS.On them we can disable updates,but Win10 is a service and it's updates can't be disabled.I'm afraid if I put firefox and some other most usable softwares on SSD,the memory will end fast,because of their updates(I believe if some software updates,it takes more memory on the disk)

You shouldn't have to work that much, stuff like web browsers other small programs (i'd even include office in that list as an exception) will be no problem on a 120gb drive.

remember that windows 10 by itself needs to be able to run on a 32gb drive on some tablets, so microsoft needs to keep storage space in mind.

10 hours ago, STRESSMASTER said:

only stuff on the SSD will be faster The progams on a HDD would work much slower (about 1/5th). however if you had 2 SSD and had say programs on one and os on other depending on your sata throughput you could make it faster though a RAID 0 or 1 would work better.

what is that RAID 0 or 1 option?Let's say that I have 960 evo 120GB for OS and 970 evo for everything else.With that "RAID 0 or 1" option I can make the 960 evo to run faster?When I was checking my newer BIOS,I saw some similar option,but I forgot to google it

10 hours ago, sample text said:

what is that RAID 0 or 1 option?Let's say that I have 960 evo 120GB for OS and 970 evo 250GB for everything else.With that "RAID 0 or 1" option I can make the 960 evo to run faster?When I was checking my newer BIOS,I saw some similar option,but I forgot to google it

7 minutes ago, sample text said:

In general you would use raid with the same model drive (2x 960 evo for example). Although it will work with different models (same capacity though)

With raid 0 the data will be striped between the drives and will result in roughly double the speed and double the capacity, but when one of the 2 fails all data is gone. also boot times will be slower because raid needs to be initialised.

with raid 1 all data is stored on both drives and will possibly give some advantage in read speeds but the most important part of raid 1 is that 1 drive can fail without much consequences.

EDIT: I woud not recommend buying a different model drive for raid 0 down the line as capacity increases and prices drop. and different models in raid 0 can impact reliability