Audio interface

zwpkhm99

Hi guys,

I recently bought the Behringer U-Phoria UMC22 for my NW-800 Neewer condenser mic. But I hear a static noise while recording and I think this is the fault of the interface because it is the cheapest one out there and normally 48v phantom power should prevent a mic from static noise. Now I am thinking about getting another audio interface. I have looked at the scarlett solo, the steinberg ur12 and the presonus audiobox ione. Can you guys recommend me which to pick?

I am using the mic for talking to friends while playing and I know a condenser mic might not be the right choice because of its sensitivity, but I kind of went in that direction already so it is too late to go back to a dynamic mic.

Have you tried swapping xlr cables?  Static is often due to bad connections or bad cables.

Just now, Blasteque said:

Have you tried swapping xlr cables?  Static is often due to bad connections or bad cables.

I have the amazon basic xlr cable it could be cause by it hm...

I have the Steinberg UR12 I find no problem with it. I could recommend that to you. 

Very well could be the mic, I would replace it with something a bit better if the new cable doesnt fix your issue.

Hey - so on that issue I had a similar problem when using the NW-800.

However it turns out that the issue not the mic itself but the 48 phantom power from the audio card.

At that time I was using the Presonus VSL 22 which does have phantom power but is powered via USB.

There seems to be a bit of an issue in general with audio cards that offer 48v phantom power but do not have an external/dedicated power supply.

I upgraded to the Steingberg UR824 (I know, it's a big upgrade) and am no longer facing any problems with the NW-800 and the cable I am using.

To make things short I suggest you try the following:

1. Test on another audio interface (at a friends house or something). 

2. If the issue is reproducible - replace XLR cable. If the issue is not reproducible on another audio card...well, you need a new one :)

Best of luck!