Cool n' Quiet downclocks my cpu?

JoaoPires95

Hello, I have a Ryzen 3 1200 on a ASRock B350 pro4 motherboard and I overclocked it to a stable 3.9Ghz. All works fine. When today I tried to disable Cool n' Quiet in the bios (the only thing I disabled) my multiplier goes from 39 to 31, so my frequency goes from 3900 to 3100, while it is still 3900 in the cpu frequency in the bios. When I enable it again it goes back to normal. Any ideas why this is happening? Thank you!

So it wont get past 3.1GHz when enabled? I guess that's just the BIOS playing up, in which 'off means on, on means off'.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

11 minutes ago, JoaoPires95 said:

Hello, I have a Ryzen 3 1200 on a ASRock B350 pro4 motherboard and I overclocked it to a stable 3.9Ghz. All works fine. When today I tried to disable Cool n' Quiet in the bios (the only thing I disabled) my multiplier goes from 39 to 31, so my frequency goes from 3900 to 3100, while it is still 3900 in the cpu frequency in the bios. When I enable it again it goes back to normal. Any ideas why this is happening? Thank you!

that is supposed to be the other way around, there seems to be a bug with the BIOS, try updating it.

and did you try to disable the C-States?

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

Cool n quiet disables itself when overclocking, so this is pretty weird behaviour.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

42 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Cool n quiet disables itself when overclocking, so this is pretty weird behaviour.

in some boards it doesnt

(◑‿◐)

59 minutes ago, JoaoPires95 said:

windows also has allowance to change the frequency,  set power settings to maximum performance, balanced and power saving will downclock the chip fr powersaving

(◑‿◐)

@Valkyrie Lenneth I have performance mode selected already.

@syn2112 maybe a bit of a noob question here but what are C-States. I also have the latest bios (non-beta) installed, version 4.70.

Thank you!

58 minutes ago, JoaoPires95 said:

@Valkyrie Lenneth I have performance mode selected already.

@syn2112 maybe a bit of a noob question here but what are C-States. I also have the latest bios (non-beta) installed, version 4.70.

Thank you!

In order to save energy when the CPU is idle, the CPU can be commanded to enter a low-power mode. Each CPU has several power modes and they are collectively called "C-states" or "C-modes". In this article we will explain what these modes are, what they do and the modes supported by each processor.

The lower-power mode was first introduced with the 486DX4 processor, so this concept is far from new. With time, however, more power modes were introduced and enhancements were made to each mode so the CPU could consume less power when it is in one of these low-power modes.

The basic idea of these modes is to cut the clock signal and power from idle units inside the CPU. The more units you stop (by cutting the clock), reduce the voltage or even completely shut down, the more energy you save, but more time is required for the CPU to "wake up" and again be 100% operational.

These modes are known as "C-states". They are numbered starting at C0, which is the normal CPU operating mode, i.e. the CPU is 100% turned on. The higher the C number is, the deeper is the CPU sleep mode, i.e. more circuits and signals are turned off and the more time the CPU will take to go back to C0 mode, i.e. to wake-up.

Each mode is also known by a name and several of them have sub-modes with different power saving levels – and thus wake-up time.

In the table below we summarize all C-state modes currently available. Modes C1 to C3 work by basically cutting clock signals used inside the CPU, while modes C4 to C6 work by reducing the CPU voltage. "Enhanced" modes can do both at the same time.

Mode

Name

What it does

Supported CPUs

C0

Operating State

CPU fully turned on

All CPUs

C1

Halt

Stops CPU main internal clocks via software; bus interface unit and APIC are kept running at full speed.

486DX4 and above

C1E

Enhanced Halt

Stops CPU main internal clocks via software and reduces CPU voltage; bus interface unit and APIC are kept running at full speed.

All socket 775 CPUs

C1E

Stops all CPU internal clocks.

Turion 64, 65-nm Athlon X2 and Phenom CPUs

C2

Stop Grant

Stops CPU main internal clocks via hardware; bus interface unit and APIC are kept running at full speed.

486DX4 and above

C2

Stop Clock

Stops CPU internal and external clocks via hardware

Only 486DX4, Pentium, Pentium MMX, K5, K6, K6-2, K6-III

C2E

Extended Stop Grant

Stops CPU main internal clocks via hardware and reduces CPU voltage; bus interface unit and APIC are kept running at full speed.

Core 2 Duo and above (Intel only)

C3

Sleep

Stops all CPU internal clocks

Pentium II, Athlon and above, but not on Core 2 Duo E4000 and E6000

C3

Deep Sleep

Stops all CPU internal and external clocks

Pentium II and above, but not on Core 2 Duo E4000 and E6000; Turion 64

C3

AltVID

Stops all CPU internal clocks and reduces CPU voltage

AMD Turion 64

C4

Deeper Sleep

Reduces CPU voltage

Pentium M and above, but not on Core 2 Duo E4000 and E6000 series; AMD Turion 64

C4E/C5

Enhanced Deeper Sleep

Reduces CPU voltage even more and turns off the memory cache

Core Solo, Core Duo and 45-nm mobile Core 2 Duo only

C6

Deep Power Down

Reduces the CPU internal voltage to any value, including 0 V

45-nm mobile Core 2 Duo only

(◑‿◐)

@Valkyrie Lenneth thank you for the detailed awnser! I will look into it when I get home and I'll see if it works. Thank you again!

@Valkyrie Lenneth Disabling the Global C-States Control did not work unfortunately. I think I will contact ASRock about it. Thank you for your help!