GPU not 100% utilized

So lately I've started noticing that my GPU (Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming G1) is always under utilized. But I'm pretty sure its not a bottleneck since I've got an i7 3820 and a 16gb kit of ripjaws paired with my 1070. For example, today I was playing Beam NG on a mod map called american road which is quite resource intensive since it uses about 7GB of vram. I've been averaging 60-70 fps with a few stutters here and there on max settings but I can't help but notice in task manager that my GPU usage is hovering around 75-80% and CPU is at 35%. Anyone have any idea of what might be causing this? Thanks in advance :)

My 1070's do that aswell. just not being taxing enough (some may say 80% is a bottleneck) I had to get a 1440p display to REALLY max my GPU's

i7-7700k @4.8GHz

Asus Maxmius IX hero

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW 3

850w EVGA PSU

32GB corsair LPX ddr4 ram 

ohh okay so its a 1070 thing... might get a 1440p monitor soon then xD 

thanks man

Turn settings up a bit, maybe a higher FPS/same res monitor?

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

Whats your RAM usage?

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

10 minutes ago, TimTam :P said:

So lately I've started noticing that my GPU (Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming G1) is always under utilized. But I'm pretty sure its not a bottleneck since I've got an i7 3820 and a 16gb kit of ripjaws paired with my 1070. For example, today I was playing Beam NG on a mod map called american road which is quite resource intensive since it uses about 7GB of vram. I've been averaging 60-70 fps with a few stutters here and there on max settings but I can't help but notice in task manager that my GPU usage is hovering around 75-80% and CPU is at 35%. Anyone have any idea of what might be causing this? Thanks in advance :)

You might actually be I/O bottlenecked more than something like Frequency or Single-thread IPC. 80 FPS might be where the system is at the peak for what resources it can swap around.

We do see situations where the move from 1080p to 1440p doesn't incur any FPS loss because the performance bottleneck was preventing the 1080p results from scaling.

I think that's normal. I don't think GPU's should be at 100% usage.

13 minutes ago, asand1 said:

Whats your RAM usage?

in the situation I was mentioning before, ram usage is around 9GB which I'm pretty sure is around normal usage

You aren't pushing the card hard enough I am afraid. It should be at 100% when all of its video memory is being used, not just 6-7GB. If the game is using 8GB of ram, it is under full load or 100% utilization.

hi.

13 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

You might actually be I/O bottlenecked more than something like Frequency or Single-thread IPC. 80 FPS might be where the system is at the peak for what resources it can swap around.

We do see situations where the move from 1080p to 1440p doesn't incur any FPS loss because the performance bottleneck was preventing the 1080p results from scaling.

ohh okay so it might just be the motherboard or something?

1 minute ago, TimTam :P said:

ohh okay so it might just be the motherboard or something?

CPU Architecture, Memory & I/O systems and host controllers. The entire deal. There are limits for how fast the system can move data within a given type of data movement. (That's why SSDs work over HDDs for loading things quickly.) 

Then you have to deal with the way the specific program is asking for Data. When this type of issue crops up, going up in resolution normally sees very little drop off in FPS because the bottleneck hasn't really changed, even if more information is demanded. You're also playing a game that leverages huge amounts of memory, so it's going to be really sensitive to certain aspects. 

Without some really extensive benchmarks, it's hard to say exactly where the bottleneck is, but, looking at some information on the game, it probably in the "you'd need a lot more CPU cores". Which goes back to the I/O is probably saturated.

1 hour ago, Taf the Ghost said:

CPU Architecture, Memory & I/O systems and host controllers. The entire deal. There are limits for how fast the system can move data within a given type of data movement. (That's why SSDs work over HDDs for loading things quickly.) 

Then you have to deal with the way the specific program is asking for Data. When this type of issue crops up, going up in resolution normally sees very little drop off in FPS because the bottleneck hasn't really changed, even if more information is demanded. You're also playing a game that leverages huge amounts of memory, so it's going to be really sensitive to certain aspects. 

Without some really extensive benchmarks, it's hard to say exactly where the bottleneck is, but, looking at some information on the game, it probably in the "you'd need a lot more CPU cores". Which goes back to the I/O is probably saturated.

But 8 threads should be meet requirements of pretty much any game right?

23 minutes ago, TimTam :P said:

But 8 threads should be meet requirements of pretty much any game right?

For example, today I was playing Beam NG on a mod map called american road which is quite resource intensive 

BeamNG isn't a normal game, so you'd need to benchmark a few other games. Still, you're on a 5 year old Architecture, and there's been improvements in a number of areas that might be issues for that specific game.

Don't see why the card wouldn't be at 100%, depends on the game and what you are using to watch it.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz